“Bookends” at 50

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Radio, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You should not be allowed to own a pressing of the mono LP. Sell it to someone on the forum.:D

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The 45 of Hazy Shade Of Winter has more "horn bleats" than the mono LP version. The stereo LP version has even less of them. 3 different mixes of the same recording. Fakin' It and At The Zoo on the mono LP are the 45 mixes.

3. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I knew that was coming...!

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sonically Bridge is a better sounding album, but just doesn't have the same cool factor. One Step 45rpm MoFi in the horizon for Bookends?

5. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Yes please

6. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

This is worth repeating..........from Paul Simon about 'Fakin' It'

As for Leitch, the girl who said that on the record, her name was Beverly Martyn--did you ever hear of John and Beverly Martyn? She wasn't married to John Martyn at that time, but I knew her from way back in English scufflin' days, and we brought her over to sing at the Monterey Pop Festival. I thought she was a really talented singer. She was sort of livin' around with us. It was during the psychedelic days. Records faded in and out; things became other things. And she was friendly with Donovan. So, we decided to make up this little vignette about the shop, we wanted to come up with a name. She said, well, let's put in Donovan's name.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

As man with no kulcher, I jumped to the conclusion that it was a Cary Grant reference!

mikrt17 likes this.
  8. alexpop

Archiebald. :D

RayS likes this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Bookends is a strange one. It begins with one of the best on-two punches ever, "Save the Life of My Child"/"America". Then towards the middle of the album it wanders about, a bit like one of those absent-minded old people in that interview - which should have been much shorter IMO, though I understand the point of it. Then it picks up again with Mrs Robinson and Punky's Dilemma and Hazy Shade.

Despite the concept of ageing that is supposed to underpin the album, It really feels to me just like an album of singles. The ageing thing is only a couple of tracks towards the middle. In that respect, I suppose it's analogous to Sgt pepper - a "concept album" that isn't really.

Nevertheless it's a brilliant album, as are all S&G's albums bar the debut.

Jayce likes this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That is really interesting - and coincidentally, the song itself sounds not unlike some of the songs on John & Beverly Martyn's album.

mikrt17 likes this.
  11. alexpop

Bookends may not be as well produced as Bridge.., but I find it more aesthetically pleasing.

12. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Think Paul said he wanted to get in a reference to Donovan Leitch who had an Irish background, I think.

13. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Sorry. Someone beat me to the punch on that one! Great, great album, especially side one, of course.

14. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

Geez...that original question sounds like a scene from an old Woody Allen movie

15. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I believe side 2 actually was a collection of singles and other odds and ends. The aging theme plays out on side 1 only. While I understand about "Voices of Old People" -- I've skipped over it many times myself -- it's become an essential part of the album for me now; it sets a tone.

I think it's the best S&G album, and it's my favorite. Bridge is great, too, but I connect with Bookends more deeply.

rgrainger and bumbletort like this.
  16. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I understand that voice is Beverly Martyn, John Martyn's wife.

17. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I prefer Bookends to Bridge by some distance. Not a musical hair out of place..well...except "Voices.." but then old people don't have so much hair anyhow. Man, it's been a long day. Some logic in there somewhere!

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bookends is easily my favorite S&G album.

In high school I used to go over to my friend's house after school most days, and we'd sit around smoking cigarrettes and playing Rummy with his older brother, who was also my friend. We'd almost always have "Bookends" on the CD player. It was his father's favorite album as well and well regarded around the household. I probably heard that album more than any other during my senior year.

"America" has always been my favorite S&G song. I was pleased to see it featured prominently in "Almost Famous", And then Bowie covered it at the NYC concert, in his peculiar Bowie way. I really like "Overs" as well, The bridge with Artie singing about the mirror and the teacups always sends me a chill.

"Bridge..." has some great songs, obviously, but it also has some tracks that I'm not very enthusiastic about, so overall I don't think it's as good an album as "Bookends". I don't even think it's as good an album as "P,S,R&T" either, now that I think about it.

19. darling

darling Senior Member

Sure...
    Disc One: stereo mix (plus You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies)
    Disc Two: mono mix (plus YDKWYIL and other single mixes)
    Disc Three: demos/outtakes (e.g. At The Zoo with alternate lyrics; Groundhog; etc.)
    Disc Four: live at the Hollywood Bowl, August 23, 1968

You could also make that a three disc set if you doubled up the stereo/mono or added the demos/outtakes to one of them. Whatever works best, aesthetically.

It only just occured to me that the original At The Zoo lyrics also have a Kellogg's product placement. Abandoned concept album idea?

side3 and Paul J like this.
  20. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

When I want to hear S&G, I always play Bookends. So that may be the reason that when I hear a song from Bridge or Parsley, it sounds fresh, glorious and should be played more often.

But then, I still go back to Bookends again.

21. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

WOW. Spot on.

22. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

This isn't related to Bookends per se but recently my roommate left out a copy of a S&G GH CD. I immediately thought, as with so many bands, if all you have is a GH collection, you are missing sooo much. And just to bring up Bookends again, if all you had was this recording, you'd be missing sooo much, although you'd have one damn good record. I really think Paul Simon is a freekin' genius. This may not sound like a revelation to people reading this thread, but since he didn't die young and isn't as sexy as Janis, Jimi and Jim, I don't think he is as appreciated as much as he should be. Pretty cool that Yes, of all groups, included the song America on their early second album.
    And as far as their catalog goes, I really don't see one record as being superior to another. They are all so solid, so full of great songs, not much point in pitting one against another.

23. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Sorry if already covered but what is considered the best version of this on CD? MFSL?

audiomixer likes this.
  24. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

The best version I've heard of the original mix is the MFSL.

Jason Manley and audiomixer like this.
  25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I have no idea what MFSL is, but it looks like an acronym for a phrase containing swear words.
    "Why, you lousy MFSL!"

bumbletort likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.