Bowers & Wilkins introduces a new 600 series line

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

New 600 series from B&W announced today. Sadly, no rosenut or cherry finishes. Just black ash and piano white. Do people not like wood finishes these days? Everything seems to be this piano gloss stuff. (Yes, I know the 600 series isn't real wood, but they still had wood veneers/finishes in the previous iteration)

Some images.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More info in the links below.

http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/spea...mance-for-all-introducing-the-new-600-series/

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/Overview.html

2. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

Glad to see them get away from the off-center plate they used to have around the tweeter. That was a deal breaker for me. Yes, I'm a sick puppy. I don't dig the white, though. Black is always good, but you'd think at least one woodgrain would be offered. Oh well, just glad the 600's are still available. Super high value, IMHO.

SteelyTom and StimpyWan like this.
  3. I actually like the white. Clean and modern but I know not for everyone. Are prices listed anywhere yet ?

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  4. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I've not seen any prices, but there typically hasn't been much change in pricing for new 600 models. It's a pretty competitive market segment.

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Prices

683 - $1650 per pair
    684 - $1150 per pair
    685 - $700 per pair
    686 - $550 per pair

HTM61 - $750
    HTM 62 - $450

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I'm a big fan of the 600 series. Putting the tweeter in a cage is a great idea since that aluminum "button" scream press me to any kid under 5. Ask me how I know.

I kinda dig the white, too.

Shiver and Mazzy like this.
  8. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

And 2 different shots, with turntables as sources, no less! Wow...!

I like the new tweeter trim plate better too. Never liked the off-set design, of the previous tweeter, either.

9. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Curious how the new tweeter effects the dispersion. I once owned the previous incarnation of the 683s. They were a nice speaker.

10. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Anybody heard these yet? Any audible improvements compared to the previous versions?

11. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I can't tell you how they compare, but a friend just picked up the new 685s. When I get a chance to listen I'll report back.

12. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

That would be great. Thanks! :)

13. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

There's going to be some nasty first reflections off of that piano...

SteelyNJ and PROG U.K. like this.
  14. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Well, those are shots from the marketing department trying to show how well the speakers fit in with the nice decor. I don't think the gear is even hooked up in these kinds of shots. Certainly no one is listening in these rooms.

15. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

That series has always represented good value IMO.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  16. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I checked out the new 600 series speakers at Best Buy today - specifically the 683's, 684's, 685's and 686's. Not bad...not great. Bass was surprisingly good and tight, even in the slimmed down 684's and the two bookshelf models. All of the 600 speakers were moderately "clean" and very neutral with an okay soundstage, but compared to the CM8's and CM5's which were positioned along the same wall in the same room, they were lacking. The CM's imaged better and sounded cleaner with noticeably better definition, particularly in the upper mids (vocals, acoustic guitars, etc.). They are just more refined and practically transparent sonically. The 600 series speakers have a tad of "boxiness" to them. By that I mean that you are always aware that the sound is coming from a box. The CM's sparkle and sound more open; the cabinet boundaries disappear.

Don't get me wrong. The new 600 line is very nice and worth consideration for the money. Perhaps the S2 design modifications justify the price increase and provide modest performance gains (which I can neither confirm nor deny having not been able to A/B with the previous generation). But if you can afford it and the design fits your needs (i.e., rear ports), jump up to the CM series. It's hands-down better.

17. MTP20

MTP20 Forum Resident

Has anyone tried the 685 S2?

Any thoughts on how this would pair with a Fisher 400?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.