Bowie SACD's - Scary Monsters and Let's Dance

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Carsell, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a copy of Bowie's SACD of Ziggy Stardust the other day and quite like it. I think it's had ten spins in the SACD player since two days ago.
    I've only given a listen to the 2 channel version since I'm not set up for multi-channel (yet). Forget the redbook CD layer.

Anyway, anyone have an opinion on Scary Monsters or Let's Dance?

2. I also like Ziggy, although I've only heard the MCH (i.e 5.1) layer. However, although Let's Dance is one of my favorite Bowie albums the stereo SACD does very little for me on first listen. It's completely irresponsible for me to say this since I've not compared it to the original redbook release, but it sounds fairy bright, with a significant amount of mid-bass rolled off (and the dance-style mid-bass in this album is one of it's fortes). Anyway, I'll have to listen further, and do some comparing......it's the first SACD I feel this way about in some time. Just for level-set, I believe UP, Sea Change and Avalon are some of the best surround SACD's, and feel Beggar's Banquet is my favorite Stereo SACD improvement.

P.S. Didn't buy Scary Monsters yet.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sorry, no opinion yet, but I bought all three last weekend. There's a dozen in the queue ahead of those Bowies.

I love "Let's Dance" and have an MFSL pre-recorded cassette of that album for the car. $6 on eBay. Sounds excellent!

Regards,
    Geoff

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I picked up the Ziggy Stardust SACD the other day but have yet to find Let's Dance. My expectations of the Let's Dance SACD are very high because it is an SACD and because my original Japanese EMI black-triangle CD sounds outstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.