Brian DePalma's "Dressed To Kill"(1980)coming to Criterion Collection blu-ray for 2015!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Learned about this on my Facebook Newsfeed...co-star Nancy Allen posted several photos from an interview she did for the bonus features to be included in this new CC edition. And apparently there's to be a NEW 4K/UHD transfer scanned from the original camera negatives as well...

REJOICE, DePalma fans!!!:wave::goodie:

2. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Maybe they can sharpen up some of that soft focus.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Is it going to include the uncut version as well? That's the one I always watch now.

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Good news. I was holding out for better quality release of DTK.

5. lukejosephchung

Criterion has already released the uncut version of DePalma's "Blowout", so I'd expect them to do the same with "Dressed To Kill"...

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was the style back then: heavy diffusion on the lenses. It's shot that way.

I transferred the original camera negative of all the nude scenes added to Dressed to Kill in the first video release back in the day, and even I thought, "man, this is soft!" I think this might have been the very first home video release where the director went back in and re-edited the movie for home video, and it went out as an "unrated" version.

That's a film that they should shorten, not lengthen. It'd be OK as a 15-minute short... but even that wouldn't make sense. Stupid, stupid film.

hi_watt and Solaris like this.
  7. Monosterio

I like Blow Out a lot more than Vidiot does, but to a certain point I agree with him: Once Travolta puts Nancy Allen's life in danger, the movie takes a serious nosedive. I do love the very last scene, though -- as well as the rest of the movie leading up to the above.

8. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

When did they start shooting films like this, mid to late 60's? When did it end, mid to late 80's? In your opinion, what was the best looking film that was shot this way?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think all of them look kind of crappy. I believe the "heavy diffusion" look started around 1974 or so and went all the way to 1980-1981. These things come and go as fads, like the current orange/teal thing.

10. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I just watched DTK a few weeks ago along with the Criterion Blow Out. I will definitely pick this up.

I love the cast in DTK. I think everyone does a great job, particularly Angie Dickinson. And Nancy Allen and Keith Gordon make up a fun, if unusual, pair of sleuths.

11. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

This movie's a favorite of mine. I first had the DVD, then I bought the first Blu-ray.. Not sure if I need a Criterion redux, but knowing me, I will likely triple-dip ...

lbangs likes this.
  12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It's almost like De Palma's version of an Italian giallo.

hi_watt and jeatleboe like this.
  13. Nice!
    I have the MGM bluray but will gladly double dip if Criterion make it worthwhile and I imagine they will!

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Awhile ago, I saw some of the shots cut out of the American version; wow, they were pretty grisly. I'm kinda glad they weren't in the theatrical version I saw.

15. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

A lot of Superman (1978) looks like this, but it actually kind of works for the part of the film where he's growing up in Smallville. Sort of a hazy version of Norman Rockwell crossed with Andrew Wyeth.

Didn't DePalma do this in Obsession too? I seem to remember that film looking like it was shot inside a fog machine.

16. lukejosephchung

"Superman" had the advantage of having the late, great Geoffrey Unsworth("Tess", "2001-A Space Odyssey", "A Matter Of Life & Death")as its director of photography...helps to have a guy who knows what he's doing with a camera and diffusion lens filters...

Solaris likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, both definitely had that look. I can tell you that Mr. Lucas was not happy that Gil Taylor used a lot of diffusion on the first Star Wars movie. None of the other movie go that far with the heavy diffusion filters. I agree that with Superman, it worked fine for the "Smallville" scenes and for the "Krypton" scenes, but then the movie gets a lot sharper once we're in "Metropolis" for the rest of the film.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Great news.

I hope Criterion revisits Sisters soon too. Overdue for bluray upgrade.

19. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Looking forward to this.

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I agree she is quite good in this movie, although I tend to prefer Rio Bravo-era Angie Dickinson. ;)

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Perfect ending. That's the big payoff. I like Blow Out. Can't stand Dressed to Kill or Body Double.

22. Monosterio

If you mean the very last scene, I agree.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The sound effect. Absolutely. I love that touch. I bet that was one of the first things the writer thought of.

Monosterio likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I got a blu ray of DTK Region 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.