Brian Wilson on Tour DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Any opinions on this release? I got it Saturday, performances are much better and less stiff than I expected. Brian's voice is in pretty good shape, and the years seem to melt away when he's on stage. He does look like he's having fun — amazing considering the last 35 years of his life. Surround mix? Not so obvious at times — it's mixed by Mark Linett — but I think I can feel it when the (amazing) background vocals pop in.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, I enjoyed it. Plenty of complete songs, great performances, with a great backing band. Having seen Brian live a couple of times, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a little studio auto-tuning going on with his vocals (although there probably wasn't much need to tune the group's backing vocals, they're generally spot on live).

I thought it was a bit cheezy to punch in the footage of Neil Young at the organ from the Bridge School Benefit show during a performance of "Good Vibrations" that was obviously not filmed there (Brian and band performed acoustically at the Bridge concerts), and songs that are represented as coming from Brian's first show are actually from much later concerts, but that's a small gripe. A nice souvenir.

3. Thank's for the reviews. I have been considering buying this DVD. It looks/sounds like a winner.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Bought it today.... thought it was it was incredible...wished it was longer.
    (BTW what a lovely backup singer he has. :) )

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

If you like Brian, you will like this DVD. You already know most of the songs.
    His band is really stunning. I love the vocal rehearsal where Brian tells them they sound "better than the Beach Boys!". They seem a little shy about hearing such praise but it's a nice moment.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.