Bridge of Spies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TommyTunes, Oct 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Love it:cheers:

shokhead likes this.
  2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I really, really enjoyed this. What stood out to me was not the vilification of the Russians or East Germans, or the rah-rah apple pie that many have commented on, but how hypocritical the whole legal process was around Abel's trial. I think that indictment of the national consciousness of those times was the opposite of apple pie. Hanks was trying to do the right thing, but is ostracized by the public, his legal firm, and even his family to a degree. Hardly places us in a good light.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really liked it.

4. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I thought this was one of the best films of the year. Surprised by how quickly it faded from the scene.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Really enjoyed this on Blu-ray, and behind the scenes "creating" Cold War look, U-2 spy program.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got the DVD, my expectations were less the second time and enjoyed it more because of that.

7. I watched it online and enjoyed it. Classic film making so out of touch today and appreciated for that very reason!

8. True but within the context of the time, not surprising.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

on cable this month.

10. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Would have been better with Moose and Squirrel.

carrick doone and Raylinds like this.
  11. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Just saw this for the first time. I thought it was an excellent movie. Recommended!

12. Andy Cole

Andy Cole New Member

Having lived the first half of the film in a comfortable America (despite slanting passers-by and the above-mentioned shooting at home), Donovan spent the second screen hour in a cold and dangerous Berlin, plying between West and East and conducting intense negotiations between the US, the USSR and East Germany. While the other participants in the deal want to exchange one person for another, Donovan demands that, in exchange for Abel, the USSR let go of Powers, and the GDR - the American student Frederic Pryor caught in the Eastern Territory. To achieve phone tracker application an unequal exchange, of course, is not easy, and the difficult situation of Donovan is aggravated by the surreptitious politico-bureaucratic games of his counterpart in the style of "Here we recognize, we do not recognize it, but here we wrap the fish." The poor fellow even finds it difficult to determine with whom, in fact, he is negotiating and whether his interlocutors are necessary for decision-making by the authorities. But since he can not leave compatriots in the "communist hell" (otherwise depicted by Spielberg, the depressing East Berlin with the just-erected Berlin wall can not be called), Donovan shows all his resourcefulness and all his eloquence in order to achieve the desired result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.