Brigthest sounding Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Ya's out

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by giacomus, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone.
    When I was a kid I enjoyed recording tapes from vinyls and first CD issues during my visits at dad's workplace.
    It was around 1988 when I recorded a SONY normal tape of the Rolling Stones in concert, Get Yer Ya Ya's out.
    Well, by the years my audio gear at home has improved a lot, but ever since I have never found a better CD (or vinyl) issue that surpassed the tape in terms of brightness, clearness and dynamics. It was impressive in "Love in vain", during the slide guitar solo. CD and vinyl versions I own are very poor in terms of high frequency content, and it's super noticeable if I pay attention to Charlie's drums.

What may have happened at that time? Maybe a bias (mis)regulation of the tape? The high frequency is extremely clear but no distorsion or tape hiss are there.
    Ever since I have thought that THAT precise CD edition must have been special, and ever since I've been looking (and buying) every CD version came out. But never, never found a so good sounding one.
    SACD and 2000s ABKCO releases are much brighter and cleaner than first LONDON CD editions I have, but still far from the tape. Also DSD LP sounds cleanter and more detailed than 1970 UK press, but yet not as satisfying.
    The tape is so good that after many years I decided to re introduce a deck into my system only to enyoy that tape!!

Are you aware of a possible better edition, that maybe has disappeared over the years? Or was it just a magic coincidence of tape settings?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions in search of the best and brightest Get yer ya ya's out (re)issue!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.