Broadcast on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brudy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member Thread Starter

Anybody else into Broadcast? I've recently started getting into them and thought I might go for some albums on vinyl, but the prices for all their records are well north of $100. That's pretty rough. They need to be reissued, although I've read at the time of their release they didn't sell much. Anybody hear anything about a reissue?

2. Mondayschild

Mondayschild Guest

Broadcast were a great band, sadly Trish the lead singer deid from pnuemonia a few years ago.
    Saw them live at least three times, and they were one of Warp's best groups, they made fine LP's as well.
    They came from Brum (or Birmingham for our US cousins) and were highly regarded.

I have a couple of their LP's 'Tender Buttons' and 'Noise Made By People' on vinyl as well as splinter
    group Plone's LP which was also on Warp.

Trish is sadly missed round these parts...

The problem with a lot of the Warp vinyl is it was only made in short numbers so if you like a particular artist then you need to get in quick when they release stuff.
    I got a lot of Warp vinyl and they tend to do re issues very slowly. and the prices are pretty high.
    My Bibio stuff vinyl stuff is out of print as is a lot of other of the artists on that labels work.

Cracklebarrel and Brudy like this.
  3. Brudy

That was actually when I started listening to them, upon her death, which was really sad. I imagine their stuff would sound great on vinyl.

I'm into Bibio as well, I should grab them when I see them.

4. Mondayschild

Mondayschild Guest

Bibio is ace.
    I really like his music, particularly the guitar based tracks which have influenced me a LOT.

5. Catbird

Catbird Forum Resident

I'm with you all. I've got Ha, Ha Sound and recent soundtrack Berberian Sound Studio both on vinyl. HHS is great, really sounds 60s-ish in places. BSS takes a bit of getting used too; each track is very short, atmospheric though. I've got a couple of the others on cd.

Brudy likes this.
  6. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

It's high $ stuff on vinyl, even though I think the market isn't that big for it. I had a chance to buy Work and Non-Work for $50 at a record show last year and I looked at it and it had lots of scuffs around the edge of the record because it comes in one of those hard cardboard sleeves. These almost always get screwed when shipped across the pond, my Massive Attack Mezzanine suffers from the same fate.

Anyway, I decided the price combined with the chance it'll have lots of pops and ticks due to the scuffs I'll just live with these on CD unless a proper reissue is done on vinyl. I'm guessing they were all digitally recorded anyway.

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'd love to get them on vinyl as well. I picked Barberian since it was new and not much. That's it. I'd love to hear Ha Ha Sound and Tender Buttons on vinyl.

8. Brudy

Yeah, me too. Those are the two I'd be after.

If you want to hear something crazy, listen to this track from The United States of America, released 1968. Totally Stereolab and Broadcast.

jacchank, The Bish and drasil like this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

They were great. My friend recently found their 8 track. I thought that was cool.

10. drasil

drasil Former Resident

any band that counts the pedagogical music of Carl Orff among their influences is pretty much an instant sell for me.

menschen und wind
    ändern geschwind
    menschen und wind
    ändern geschwind

-Orff, 'berceuse' (1930-35)
    -broadcast, 'minim' (2003)
    (I also really like the noise made by people.)

Brudy likes this.
  11. Brudy

Sundazed reissued this on vinyl and it sounds great.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  12. Bold Soul

Bold Soul Forum Resident

Warp just announced that all the LP's will be reissued on vinyl in March.

matty j, PBo, JL6161 and 3 others like this.
  13. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I have the first few 7 inches (collected on Work & Non Work) still but I bought their albums on CD back in the day. These will be nice to have on vinyl.

https://bleep.com/broadcast

14. mojoman2802

mojoman2802 Sometimes always..

Thanks for the heads up on this! Been waiting on these for so long... Had The Future Crayon but had to sell it when I was low on cash. roll on march!

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  15. Brudy

Wow, that's awesome news. Let's hope they're well done.

mogwai rave, tzatziki and JL6161 like this.
  16. BeardedSteven

All up for pre-order from Amazon US. Not that I would pre-order from them. Lol But I'm assuming these will not be limited and be able to pick them up locally on release? I hope they stay around. I could go for picking up a couple at a time.

Brudy likes this.
  17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Best news I've heard all day!

Brudy likes this.
  18. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Good thread, this one. Thanks everyone for the great new music.

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Wow, that's great! I had The Noise Made by People, Haha Sound, and Tender Buttons on CD (and even those are going for a pretty penny these days), and they mysteriously vanished. I wouldn't have purposely dumped them, but either they accidentally got put in the trade-in pile years ago, or my piano tuner made off with them (doubtful), or they got seriously misfiled or something. Well, it was tragic regardless, but now I can collect the whole discography on LP. Problem solved.

Brudy and BeardedSteven like this.
  20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I didn't realize Trish Keenan had died, how dreadful. One of those voices that makes you an instant fan:

e.s. likes this.
  21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

This is the best news in vinyl reissues I've heard in a long time. I feel blessed. Hands down, the most important music that has entered my life in the past 5 or so years. Really looking forward to these reissues and enjoying some proper listening. 140 for the bundle isn't a bad price either.

e.s. and Brudy like this.
  22. BeardedSteven

With shipping to the US from Bleep the bundle = $157. :(
    The 6 LPs from Amazon (if you have Prime....) with shipping = $138

I'm still going to go with waiting for them in my local shop so far. But this really is good news.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm kind of confused about how Warp is a British label, so these are imports, so shipping from Bleep is ungodly expensive, except that they must also have to deduct the VAT from the $157 first, right? But they're not listed on Amazon US as imports, and they have domestic Prime shipping in the US, and they're not listed at all yet on Amazon UK even though they're from the UK, so I guess Bleep is the sole source in the UK? . . . . and I'm getting even more confused now.

24. BeardedSteven

The whole VAT thing confuses me. But the only overseas place I've ordered from where they deduct the VAT is Amazon... I went all the way through the checkout process, without hitting place order at the end, with Bleep and no mention of removing VAT.

25. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Same here, and the price didn't change any when I changed my location to UK, but I wonder if it would have added the VAT if I had supplied a real UK address. The Bleep album prices are the same as Amazon's, so the $22.98 must be pre-VAT?

Heck, all I really care about is that these puppies are pressed in the EU rather than some shoddy US plant.