Broadcast on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brudy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Yea, looks like the MP3 download is gone (it's 192kbps), but you can still listen on youtube ...

Mugrug12 likes this.
  2. Davey

Been listening a lot to the new Jane Weaver Modern Kosmology since it was released last week, great new album, have the vinyl coming soon and been revisiting the Silver Globe / The Amber Light deluxe (includes both of her previous two records from 2014 and 2015 on one deluxe 2-CD package). She's been on a pretty amazing run in this modern psych guise, love the journey she began on this trifecta, it's just so totally fun, and she's such a great writer too.

Not sure how well known she is now, but I think the Broadcast crowd here would soak this up with a big smile, fits right in with a lot of the music we've been branching out to in the last few pages. I saw at The Quietus a few days ago one of those Baker's Dozen features they often do with artists, and Jane Weaver turns in a pretty good one, not too surprisingly beginning with Kate Bush, and featuring Broadcast along the way ... The Quietus | Features | Baker's Dozen | An Expanse Of Sound: Jane Weaver's Favourite Albums ...

Their records are really important. There is something about her voice and her melodies and the production was always really good. They always used exquisite drum patterns. Also, her words were always really considered. Andy said he once went round to Trish's house and she had drawn out loads of spider charts over her wall. It was almost a little insight into how she might have worked. I don't know if she charted everything out, but it appealed to me that she was someone who was really thoughtful about what she was doing. It seemed that she would only do what she wanted and would not compromise. She must have had many offers as a musician, a singer or a writer but it seemed she stayed in her own artistic world – which is what made her so good. She had integrity. That's how it seemed to me as a fan, as I didn't know her that well. I am very happy to admit to being inspired by Trish and [Stereolab's] Lætitia Sadier, because they are both bloody good.

3. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I've been following Jane Weaver's music for quite a while and agree that her work from 'Silver Globe' on has stepped up a notch. Really like the new album, particularly "Slow Motion" which is lovely.

NorthNY Mark and Davey like this.
  4. Davey

Love these new vinyl reissues, especially fond of the debut, so many spins, including a couple times today, never get tired of this one ...

[​IMG]

Goofy picture, I know, but sounding really nice with the Benz Wood on my Clearaudio today, conductor koala couldn't help but take a closer look :)

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Aw man, I saw Broadcast so many times at stuff like ATP that it never really seemed like I'd ever have a time when they weren't around. Saw them even support Belle & Sebastian at the Don't Look Back show when they played If You're Feeling Sinister in full. Talk about incongruous.

It's mad to think it's been nearly eight years since Trish left us.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    cwitt1980, CrombyMouse and Davey like this.
  6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's odd...I was just listening to them this morning. I absolutely love this song...

Before We Begin:

whisper3978, 3Dman and Davey like this.
  7. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Great picture! I'm a big fan of this album as well--and am surprised at how good it sounds on this reissued LP. The new Jane Weaver LP was rather disappointing in that regard (though I like the music a lot). I wonder how Broadcast is able to make (presumably) digital masters sound so good on LP when so few of their contemporaries do?

8. Davey

The Broadcast debut does sound good, though the digital sounds good too, they just didn't use as much compression, gives it a more natural and relaxed sound. The Jane Weaver Modern Kosmology is kind of flat in comparison, it does have that modern sound, though not pumped up too bad, and I do love it, just not very good for sitting down and getting lost in, listened to it today too. Also some Richard Buckner Our Blood, which sounds pretty nice too. And think I probably listened to both sides of Laika's debut at least twice, Silver Apples of the Moon. Another really nice reissue from a couple years ago, on Medical Records, gold colored translucent vinyl. Big favorite from the mid 90s with some of those same influences that made Broadcast so much fun. Definitely can get lost in that one.

9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Yep--unlike Broadcast, which is a relatively recent discovery for me, I had Laika's Sounds of the Satellites back when it was new (I think I actually discovered it from a Border's Bookstore listening station). Man, if compression is the only thing preventing albums like Weaver's from sounding like those of Broadcast, I really despise that kind of compression.

10. Davey

Yea, there's a lot more going on than just the compression, it's kind of the whole digital processing package, but it's a big part. The Broadcast record is much more open sounding, I think the people involved just cared more about that part of the music (and the sound is an important part of the music to me). I'd kind of expect Jane Weaver to be that way too, but always hard to predict. And just to be clear for those that don't know the latest from JW, don't be turned off by anything we are saying, the record doesn't sound bad at all, it just doesn't have that extra dimension we love. Most modern records don't.

11. Davey

Anyone following the last few pages of this thread probably knows about Lake Ruth now and their debut album Actual Entity, and they just released a really nice second album in Birds of America. Still similarities to Broadcast and Stereolab in some ways, but very much their own sound now, and quite a cohesive album, great songs and lyrics and really coming together as a band, more talk about it in the 2018 thread... Best New Albums of 2018

12. kinglewi

kinglewi Forum Resident

Awaiting my copy of Birds of America to arrive any day now - a shame I missed out on the earlier cassette release they had - keeping my eyes open for a copy of that release.

kl

13. Davey

Yea, the Intervention, Displacement & Return release from last year is really good. I just did the bandcamp download on that one since I don't play cassettes anymore, but it is nice and all at 24/48K except for the closing Stereolab cover which is 24/96K. I was kind of surprised to get Birds of America so early in the year, but no complaints, great stuff, love the glossy cover and artwork and lyric sheet, vinyl is pretty well pressed too, not even the end of February and already have 4 albums that could easily make my best of the year list, with the new Anna Von Hausswolff still to come in the next few days :)

14. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

@Davey It must have been you that I saw mention Lake Ruth’s previous album on here but I never got a copy. Pre-ordered ‘Birds of America’ after you mentioned it here and it’s great, so thanks for the tip off.

Davey and Neonbeam like this.
  15. Davey

Most of us around here were clued to their first record via @kinglewi a few pages back in this thread, but I quickly fell in love with the band and subsequently blabbered a bunch about it around here, as I often do when I really like something, so I was just glad to get in on the vinyl run for that one before it was gone, we found a shop in the Chicago area closing it's doors that had a great price on a few remaining copies and a few of us here scored a copy. Like @Neonbeam remarked in the 2018 thread, it's a shame they aren't signed to one of the cool bigger labels that could afford to press more than a few hundred copies. This new one only got 500 pressed so will be gone quick, and I think for the debut was only 400. And this may be the last release on Feral Child Recordings too, but at least a few of us around here did our small part to keep it going. It is really a beautiful record.

Neonbeam, Beaker73 and hamicle like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The first album was a 400 unit run but it shows up cheap on Discogs from time to time, right now for example, 15€:

Lake Ruth - Actual Entity

Davey and hamicle like this.
  17. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Feral Child seem to be sold out of their copies of the new LP, as do Norman Records and Rough Trade, so business seems to be brisk at least!

I like the kind of casual, low-stakes, nature of the release, I would love to be in the position of having a label where I could press up a few hundred copies of something andhave a good expectation of them shifting! Not great from the point of view of anyone who misses out, and it maybe does limit the reach of the music a little too. I’m not looking at it from an elitist point of view, just that of it being a low-key thing done as a project amongst friends.

Davey likes this.
  18. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

There are copies of the Lake Ruth still on their Bandcamp for US buyers. I have been busy with other things so haven't taken the time but I did now before it's gone.

Davey and hamicle like this.
  19. Davey

Keeping the one and only Broadcast thread alive, such an amazing band, listening to HaHa Sound and Tender Buttons today, always such a treat. Love these records. Turned into a real Broadcast day with The Future Crayon too, been playing that a lot in recent times, more than any other, but only because it is kind of new.

Snuck in a listen to my favorite record of the year in the new Virginia Wing Ecstatic Arrow too, fits in perfectly with Trish and Broadcast, and always sounds great. Did some tube rolling in my phono preamp a week or so back, and listened to the last two songs on the second side over and over as I was changing tubes back and forth. Even after so many listens, just gets better all the time. Really nice album.

Dolemite, hamicle, Em. and 1 other person like this.
  20. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Yes, keep it going. I never go too long without listening to Broadcast.

21. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

James post a from the archive track every year on Trish’s birthday (last Friday)

Broadcast: Petal Alphabet

It always good to hear a “new” track

22. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

That last song has became my favorite

Davey likes this.
  23. Davey

Thanks for that, very cool, didn't know about that yearly tradition. I listened to a lot of Broadcast today in and amongst the football games, so very fitting.

On a slightly related note (based on how this thread went above), there's a nice new Lake Ruth & Listening Center track up at bandcamp too. I really enjoyed their joint record last year... To Recife, by Lake Ruth & Listening Center

Dolemite likes this.
  24. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Great thread that has me cueing up several new-to-me bands on YT :) Thanks everyone

I've been a Broadcast fan since "Illumination" started playing on the Extended Two CD I bought back in 2000. I worked at nyc Virgin Mega Store (14th/Union Sq, don't go looking for it, it's no longer there ;)) during all of 2003 when Ha Ha Sound came out- let's just say I promoted/recommended the hell out of that one while there.

I have all the reissue LPs- agree they sound/look fantastic.

One thing not mentioned yet is Trish's Mind Bending Motorway Mix-- a v/a comp cd she made for a friend that was graciously shared online. so so glad that has made the rounds as it is one of my favorite comps by anyone ever. I hear roots-of-Broadcast in several of the tracks included- most of all probably "The Boys And The Girls" by The Network (1968) (btw i've had this 45 on my discogs wantlist for years now, so far nothing :D)

25. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

hamicle likes this.