Brookvale Records Announces Dicks Picks vol. 8 LP Preorder, Skipping Volume 7 (?!?!) & More...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeyLizard, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whatsup fellow Deadheads and LP enthusiasts!

I'm a little late to the party concerning this news, but I haven't seen it anywhere else on the site.

This announcement dates back to May of this year:

First, the good news:

Brookvale is now accepting pre orders for volume 8 which is due out this October. The beloved 5/2/70 concert will be on a 5 LP boxed set.

EVEN BETTER NEWS is they will be including 'Cold Rain & Snow', which was not included on the cd edition.

Very exiting!

And now for the weird news:

"In October of 2015 when we were to start with Volume 7 we ran into a small problem. Warner Brothers, Rhino Records, the original label that owns that music, and the ones we license it from, notified us that they were currently in license negotiations with the Grateful Dead and could not license anything out to a third party currently. WELL, that meant they could not allow us to move forward and start on Vol 7 as we originally planned. Bummer….But they said…Don’t worry just sit back and wait a bit. So we did…… until last month! Rhino Records worked with The Grateful Dead and could now allow us to license the next Dicks Picks release. BUT they had another layer to add. They told us from now on Brookvale Records could not own the exclusive rights to all volumes. To say I was personally devastated would be an understatement. We were very very disappointed. We feel NO ONE would care for this project as much as we do. BUT, after talking some more with Rhino we started to see why. The Dicks Picks series is a VERY large undertaking both time wise and financially. It was very hard for us to put these out quickly. And Rhino wants to make this amazing music available to the public quicker then I could promise we could release it. If we did 4 a year (which would be ambitious) it would take us 8 more years to finish the series! Now that is not fair to the fans. SO…with a little disappointment in my voice I understood and asked if we could then pick out a few titles we wanted to do RIGHT AWAY! And of course our great partners at Rhino agreed."

So does this mean there will now be several record companies working simultaneously to get this music released at a much faster rate? It kind of sounds like that's what they're saying, albeit rather indirectly.

If that is the case, then this should be pretty good news, because these have been coming out at a snail's pace. If Brookvale were to continue at the current rate, many deadheads might not even live to see all of these released.

Full article: Dicks Picks Series….NEXT RELEASE!!!!!

Pre-order: Pre-Order Grateful Dead Dick’s Picks 8 Right Here, Right Now!

PatBateman86 likes this.
  2. MonkeyLizard

3. Poster_Nutsack

Poster_Nutsack Active Member

It's a bummer that (at least so far) Brookvale was only selling this via Looney Tunes CDs' webstore. It was $150+ with shipping which is a bit absurd in my opinion for a 5xLP box. It looks like it isn't on their site at all now, so hopefully it will be available elsewhere soon. I'd be surprised if it was sold out already given vol. 6 was limited to even fewer copies (1,500 vs 2,000) and it is still available on multiple sites for ~$99.

EDIT:
    I just looked at the Brookvale site again and they've changed their content about the release since it was first announced.

PRODUCT WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ALL RECORD STORES ACROSS THE COUNTRY SOON! CHECK BACK FOR DETAILS ON PRICE AND STREET DATE.

Based on that, it sounds like they are about to distribute it broadly to other retailers. Elusive Disc or Soundstage Direct 20% off coupon here we come :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    MonkeyLizard likes this.
  4. MonkeyLizard

Oh hell yeah!

5. An update with some info on the sources:

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

this pretty much the only one I wanted anyway

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I paused it on that Jeffrey Norman recording note to read the entire thing, good stuff

8. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Pre-ordered but boy do these guys wait a long time between announcing this and actually announcing a release date!!

9. The video I posted above does go into some explanation concerning delay as there were issues with numerous test pressings.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  10. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Yes, I get it but they tend to have a history of slow communication. Nonetheless this is a must have and it sounds like quality control is in place!

thewolfshead likes this.
  11. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Umm, can I have mine now?

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  12. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Might be a long wait- many pre-ordered and paid back in July and communication from Brookvale has been limited as to any status on a release date.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  13. The video I posted above says expected in February 2018 and their Facebook page posted on January 18 photos of the actual boxes for the vinyl saying there should be a shipping date soon.

Dominick, MonkeyLizard and Jgirar01 like this.
  14. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I would be surprised if they ship in Feb but I hope so. Thanks for the information.

Jim

thewolfshead likes this.
  15. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

They posted on Facebook today that the release date is February 23rd, and that pre-orders will ship next week.

[​IMG]

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  16. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Looks like this shipped today!

Jim

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yup! Mine shipped, too!

Here's the 'First Look' video they posted:

18. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Anyone have any updates on this since last Thursday? It's been a week and USPS tracking STILL says "Your package is on its way to a USPS facility. Sign up to get updates, and we'll send you a delivery date and time when available."

19. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Man I have to think about this one...

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  20. ajiacs

ajiacs Forum Resident

Mine arrived today. On Monday I received two e-mails saying that my order was complete and a third that included the tracking number. Was surprised that it got here (Maryland) so quickly.

21. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Same here. Not worried though, it'll turn up in the next few days.

The very steep price tag certainly gave me hesitation. However, it's one of the all time great Dead shows cut AAA from the original reels. Had to have it!

22. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Where did they press these at? Please don't tell me United or Rainblo.

23. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Thanks for putting it like that. AAA huh? You're really helping the situation. I'm still trying to rationalize that triple lp from the Fillmore East 1969 for $100+.

EDIT:

Well, what's done is done. There's no sense pointing fingers or complaining about spending too much on Grateful Dead vinyl at this point. It's all water under the bridge now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    MonkeyLizard likes this.
  24. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

This is how you do it. It sucks to not cut corners, but this video just sold this for me

trd likes this.
  25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

This looks sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.