Bruce Lee

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ando here, Oct 8, 2017.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I feel bad for any BL fan that missed out on his Shout Factory 4k remasters.

2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Don't worry. When it came he didn't even notice. He was too busy looking good.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

It's sad no one has come forward with a complete mono Mandarin copy of The Big Boss.

I can only imagine that that film, in its original 2-hour version, was miles upon miles better than Enter the Dragon.

4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

What I believe is irrelevant. It's how he lived his life.

5. I'm a fan! I've recently found a new interest after watching Birth of a Dragon (2017) and was watching The Legend of Bruce Lee (2008) when I came across this thread.

I dont think there was a curse, or series of coincidences in the tragedies of him and his sons death. My theory is it was murder.

Favorite movie: The Big Boss

Enter the Dragon, Chinese Connection were also really great films

ando here likes this.
  6. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

As much as I love Bruce,it's too bad he didn't live long enough to do a movie where he fights someone who would actually give him some compitition..Jet Li??

ando here likes this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

....if you say so you must be right....? It's an interesting phenomenon I'm seeing here on the SH forums. Over on the latest Jimi Hendrix review thread there are also people who KNOW what Jimi would and wouldn't have done. Not an opinion, they don't think in terms of maybe or might, they KNOW. I always have been an unashamed fanboy of both Lee and Hendrix, but the boys on the SH forums truly know how to take it to new heights!;)

8. ando here

Man, what are talking about? Have you really taken time to investigate or research the life of Bruce? Stick to the subject, please. If you want to rank on SHF posters this is not the thread in which to do it. If you want to discuss the life and work of Bruce Lee with a modicum of seriousness please continue to contribute. But come with either knowledge or appreciation, not pointless derision.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  9. ando here

Course, Curse of the Dragon (1993) is another very good doc, too. K Abul-Jabbar, James Coburn, Dan Inosanto and others, as former students, really give it a nice personal touch. It's an extra on the 25th anniversary edition of ETD.

10. ando here

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  11. ando here

His allergic reaction to hashish (cannabis?) seems perfectly plausible to me. He had an earlier nearly fatal reaction to it according to friends. I would think his enemies would desire a more public manner of death, just to make a point. But conspiracy theories are all speculation - unless, of course, you've got proof! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. No, I dont have any proof about his death or his son's. He's like the only person in history to die from weed that I've heard of. I guess someone could have accidently left a real bullet in the film prop too.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Excuse me, what? Apparently I stuck a nerve, sorry. Didn't realize I had to study up to participate in a meaningless internet thread! Dude, lighten up, these things are supposed to be fun!

14. ando here

Well, what's your point? You're obviously not here to discuss Bruce Lee.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I just erased a lengthy answer after I realized how boring this is getting. I've read and participated in this thread since it started but, congrats, I'm out!

16. ando here

Ran into this documentary which actually turned out better than I expected, including footage I'd never seen. It is one of the better docs which gives credence to some of the murder theories that a few peeps here have about Lee's demise.

[​IMG]

There are a couple versions on YouTube and Vimeo but, streaming-wise, the kanopy version is pristine.

Quadboy likes this.
  17. ando here

Jackie Chan on Bruce -

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  18. ando here

Apparently, Chan doesn't work with nunchucks ("the sticks"). :p

19. ando here

[​IMG]
    Birth of the Dragon (2016)
    Anyone seen this? Most of the reviews have been predictably negative - the biggest charge is that the producers simply wanted to cash in on the resurgent popularity of Bruce. The poster is an obvious rip off. I picked up a DVD copy to watch tonight - but my expectations are fairly low.
    :-popcorn:

20. ando here

[​IMG]
    Birth of the Dragon would admittedly be a more intriguing film without the "American" student who acts as an intermediary between an impressive Philip Ng, as Bruce Lee and Yu Xia, as the legendary Wong Jack Man, a Shaolin master who comes to San Francisco to challenge Lee. I suppose the filmmakers thought an everyman character (and his "girlfriend") was necessary to round out the story but it's just filler. In real life the fight between the two men forever altered Bruce Lee's approach to combat. At the center of this film lies the reason why the change happened. The beautiful San Francisco vistas and the thinly drawn love story are disposable elements in a film where the scenes involving actual martial art action make it a compelling view.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Behind The Scenes On Enter The Dragon

Someone in the comments speculates that since Chow recently died the real details around Lee's death may finally come out.

22. ando here

23. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Bruce Lee was one cool dude. I've always wondered what could have happened with the project he was set to work with ex-Bond actor George Lazenby on.

Matthew Tate and ando here like this.
  24. ando here

Yes, his cool as Kato even upstaged The Green Hornet!

[​IMG]

One of the few comic book shows I can stand - mostly because I know Bruce is actually doing most of his stunts! :)

Matthew Tate and Osato like this.
  25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Didn’t the fight between Batman/ Green Hornet and Robin/Kato on the TV show end in a draw? Even then my 7 year old mind didn’t buy it.

Lee was a perfect example of what ceaseless dedication and commitment to pursuing excellence in any personal goal resembles.

ando here likes this.