Bucks Fizz! Enjoying their songs. Am I getting older and mad?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Cruse, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc Thread Starter

Streamed a greatest hits of Bucks Fizz and you know what? Most of the songs on there are good pop songs! Well written and well preformed.
    Am I going mad? Any Bucks Fizz fans?

Making Your Mind Up

The Land of Make Believe

Piece of the Action

One of Those Nights

My Camera Never Lies

Now Those Days Are Gone

If You Can't Stand the Heat

Run for Your Life

London Town

I Hear Talk

Talking In Your Sleep

Golden Days

You and Your Heart So Blue

Heart of Stone

When We Were Young

Rules of the Game

Magical

downer, Talisman954, l-l-d and 4 others like this.
  2. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I used to have a couple of their albums, 'I Hear Talk,' and 'Writing On The Wall,' on cassette, but they disappeared in the great cassette clear-out. I remember them both as being good albums, well-produced, and enjoyable listening when I was in the right mood. Bucks Fizz were pretty much always a class act in their heyday.

Holy Joe and Tony Cruse like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't know what you listened to before, so I can't say if you're going mad or not.:)

The Fizz did make some great pop records. A little over-produced at times, but good, hooky songs. Their first 4 albums are all excellent. They were remastered and expanded last year, though maybe you're not 'there' yet.:)

bob60, tin ears and Tony Cruse like this.
  4. Always did like 'The Land Of Make Believe', co-written by no less a prog luminary than Pete Sinfield.

Great lyrics, great harmonies, exquisite production - if it hadn't had the name 'Bucks Fizz' attached to it, it would have been lauded as a great pop-classic for many a year.

Best Wishes,
    David

5. Tony Cruse

The Fizz :)
    Great songs although the Qobuz stream was a little bass heavy.
    If I was one of these Scandi rock bands like H.E.A.T or Eclipse, I would defiantly consider covering one of BF's songs and beefing it up a little.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I think they filled a gap for awhile here when Abba imploded.

A greatest hits might suffice but they did have some good album tracks.

Tony Cruse likes this.
  7. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Nay, Bobby lad, nowt wrong wi' good pop songs being a little over-produced at times. ;-)

Solace likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

They got a bit cluttered around 1983/4. Still good, though. Like a beefier version of the New Seekers.:D

9. Tony Cruse

Can you recommend three or four Fizz albums (quality cd mastering)?
    Thanks. :)

10. Bobby Morrow

Well, I liked the Cherry Red remasters last year. They were all 2 disc affairs, which may be overload for some.

The same four albums were released as one disc editions with selected bonus tracks in 2004. These are quieter than the ones from last year, though I preferred the sound of the later remasters.

The albums I'm referring to are;

Bucks Fizz. 1981
    Are You Ready. 1982
    Hand Cut. 1983
    I Hear Talk. 1984

Best give them a spin on Spotify before doing anything rash, though.:)

Talisman954 likes this.
  11. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Writing On The Wall needs to be the 2 disc version, which was remastered. Liner notes from yours truly! I also remixed Making Your Mind Up a few years ago. Hard to do anything different with a track that goes 165 bpm!

All the 2 disc reissues are remastered and done well.

12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I've been listening to "Dollar" a lot lately. Superb Trevor Horn production.

13. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Best band ever! The Platinum Collection is by far the best on mastering. A revelation.

14. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

I always liked ABBA. Even when their popularity waned and most people wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, I remained a huge fan. Now it has become acceptable for people to admit to liking them and their popularity is sky high again.

It's the same situation with Bucks Fizz. They haven't had the recognition they deserve, but their catalogue is of the same kind of high quality as ABBA.

I think I've got just about everything Bucks Fizz have ever done. If I was going to recommend something, I'd recommend "The Platinum Collection" because the sound quality is amazing and it covers virtually everything from the RCA years.

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

No, you're not!

Ignore the taste-police and enjoy whatever you like. Bucks Fizz? They're fun, imo. Not sure if I would ever get something, but they had some nice tunes.

16. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Guilty pleasures are the sweetest of all.

Tony Cruse likes this.
  17. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

I fear you may well be going mad.

Do you jig around in a cardigan while listening?

It's very worrying.I sometimes see cases of this.

It may come from spending time on this forum and seeing appreciation of Shakin' Stevens,Giblet O Sullivan and the like.

There'll be a reappraisal of the Nolans next.

I thought this was a respectable music forum.

(smiley face)

Veronica Mars and moj like this.
  18. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

It's okay, Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics to Land of Make Believe.

19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I can go years without hearing anything by them, so I guess I can't claim to be a fan, but for sure I liked them at the time and their songs stand up well after the passage of years. I remember "Now Those Days Are Gone" as their "Winner Takes It All": the song where they seemed to grow up as a pop act and do something out of the run of bubble gum pop. "When We Were Young" was also unusual at the time, with its rather downbeat subject matter.

Not that I've got anything against their lighter side though. Personally I always liked the hit-that-never-was "Suzanne":

Darren Richardson and McCool71 like this.
  20. I dread the inevitable "Are Modern Talking Underrated?" thread. I mean, Dollar have already been mentioned.

Fill Your Head likes this.
  21. downer

downer Senior Member

Always preferred their (original) version of this to Cher...

Trivia: The property this was filmed at belonged to Robin Gibb...

22. Bobby Morrow

Well, you could just keep out of the 'inevitable' "Are Modern Talking Underrrated" thread, couldn't you? Beats crapping all over it like you are doing on this one.

23. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I remember them most for their contribution to The Eurovision Song Contest in the 80s.

24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It was the skirts, wasn't it? ;) Honestly, everyone remembers them most for that, but the question is whether they went on to do anything after that, and the answer is yes.

Holy Joe and the sands like this.
  25. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

The "pulling off the skirts" routine has really overshadowed their entire career. It's great that it's such a memorable moment, but it places them firmly in the novelty Eurovision bracket for most people. It's a real shame, because they have an incredibly good and varied back catalogue which is of very high quality. Having said that though, I'm not missing out, so it's irrelevant what other people are doing or thinking. They're free to write off anyone they like. My CD collection is awesome and Bucks Fizz are definitely one of the highlights.

noahjld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.