Buffalo Springfield Again Mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sounds like a different take to me

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It

Is

Not

cwitt1980 and lukpac like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

This sounds so much better, sound wise than the above YouTube clip. It's not the single mix but it'll do in a pinch.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Once more, with feeling. Compared to the LP mixes:

- different Satisfaction riff
    - different guitar in the first section of solo
    - some other random different guitars
    - same drums
    - same bass
    - same vocals
    - same guitars through most of the solo

Possibly worth noting: some or all of the Atco Oldies Series 45s have the correct 45 mix, while some or all of the Atlantic Oldies Series 45s have the stereo LP mix folded down to mono.

5. Steve Hoffman

Didn't I read that the 45 version was a bounce of the "basic" to a new tape and then some new guitar parts were added over the same basic track? I might have dreamed that.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's possible, although I had always assumed that Neil had just modified things on the 8-track over the months. Started at Atlantic in January 1967, 45 released in June, LP released at the end of October. I believe Neil has indicated that the tape of the early/acetate version is missing; that would fit into the above theory, unless somebody made a safety of the original 8-track at some point.

But, dunno for certain.

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Has any other group had so many great singles flop? Here, on the East coast, they basically were one-hit-wonders. For What It's Worth was the only record of theirs I have ever heard on AM radio. Nothing else even bubbled under. Also, was Bluebird ever meant to be the A-side? Otherwise, why else would it be shortened?

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Bluebird was the "plug side", so yeah, it *was* (more or less) the A-side.

9. Larry Geller

OK, then, why would Neil lavish so much attention on a measly B-side (Mr. Soul)? I guess it's an early indicator of his propensity to screw around with his recordings constantly.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Mr. Soul was originally intended as the follow-up to For What It's Worth. Besides the showing on Hollywood Palace, there were announcements in the press as FWIW was still climbing the charts that it would be the next single. Of course Bruce was deported, Neil left, etc, so things were in a state of flux. Presumably Neil wanted to do some tweaking when the 45 and LP releases were imminent, but I've never seen any quotes about exactly why he continued to make changes.

11. chacha

Both sides of the 45 got played on AM Radio in the Bay Area when this was released.

TimWare likes this.
  12. Larry Geller

I know they got airplay & sales on the West Coast, but here, in NYC, it's as if they didn't exist. After FWIW, the next time I heard them played on radio was when WNEW-FM played Uno-Mundo, but that was FM, not Top 40. And I listened to radio constantly in the '60's.

13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I agree that anywhere other that the west coast, Buffalo Springfield was a one-hit wonder as far as the AM charts were concerned.

However, here in Ohio my best friend and I somehow got wind of the "Mr. Soul"/"Bluebird" single, bought it, and played it incessantly...long before Again came out (and we played the album even more incessantly!). I can remember us doing a big double-take the first time we heard the album version of "Mr. Soul," and an even bigger one when "Bluebird" continued on past the point where the single ended.

The only thing I can think of is that I was a huge fan of Hit Parader magazine back in those days, and I probably read about the single there and sought it out. I don't ever remember it being played on the radio.

14. Steve Hoffman

Both sides played out here in LA, a lot. Not a smash hit but played on both KRLA, KFWB and KBLA, AM stations.

15. chacha

Conversely I don't remember Uno Mundo getting played on the West when it came out - at least in SF

16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

No, only the first guitar solo is different. Plus they used a microphone to capture the record playing rather than "going direct":realmad:

17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Uno Mundo is a strange choice for a single. Was Expecting to Fly or Broken Arrow on a 45?

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Like I said, first guitar solo, and the main riff throughout the entire song.

Expecting to Fly was.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Buffalo+Springfield

My preference has always been for Merry-Go-Round. And, of course, the 45 mix of Uno Mundo has finally been issued on the Stills box, but MGR still hasn't been reissued.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  19. Larry Geller

That discog seems to be incomplete. For example, wasn't Burned released as a 45 (what a weird choice)? Not on there.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Rock n Roll woman was a single too right?

21. chacha

Yes , that got played too in the Bay Area. So we were lucky- we got to hear three beautiful cuts from this great album on A M

22. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

This has always baffled me. "Bluebird" and "Rock 'n' Roll Woman" at the least should have been nationwide hits. But as we've seen, many great records do fall through the cracks for whatever reason. The Byrds weren't doing so hot commercially by that time either, and Moby Grape never even made it to the pop singles charts.

23. Larry Geller

Most Byrds singles at least got some airplay here. I even recall Lady Friend being played on AM. (not Have You Seen Her Face, however). BS got zero airplay. Moby Grape had no chart action for any of their records, so they don't count here.

24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

"Omaha" spent three weeks on the Hot 100 and made it to #88, but that means it was barely played, if at all, on AM radio.

Moby Grape and Wow/Grape Jam did surprisingly well on the album charts, reaching #24 and #20 respectively.

Raunchnroll likes this.
  25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The stations were probably trying to figure out which of their five simultaneous single releases they should play, got tired, and threw on some Airplane instead!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.