Buffalo Springfield Again Mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

[​IMG]
    STEREO or MONO, I just love this record, their masterpiece. Both Neil and Stephen were at early songwriting peaks, and Richie was right there too. I love the cover too. This one and Love's Forever Changes, both created about the same time, in the same local, L.A., and both released in November 1967 rank as a high-water mark for 1967.

2. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Yet another edit of Mr Soul coupled with For What Its Worth making a very cool transition. Must have shocked the audience.
    It has yet another guitar bit not found anywhere else (I think?). This version sounds the best to my ears even though it was a TV only edit.

3. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Another Mono Mix from the next album. Unique since this is the ONLY mono mix ever issued!

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's the early version of Mr. Soul before Neil tinkered with it...the one which Neil can't find the tape of, so it ended up on the box set sourced from an acetate.

5. pool_of_tears

Sounds like a fold-down

6. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Sounds dedicated to me IMHO. At this time real mono's were still being made for 45's even if the album was to be only in stereo.

McLover likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

I'm well aware of that, but the album wasn't mixed in stereo so I highly doubt this 45 was. The only singles form "Last Time Around" that have unique 45 mixes are Uno Mundo and Merry Go Round. I'd be very surprised if On The Way Home has a dedicated mono mix.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted:

As above, nearly identical, but the first guitar solo is different.

I don't know if a dedicated mix was made for On The Way Home or not, but by that time Atlantic was definitely using CSG to fold down stereo mixes for 45 and mono promo LP. Usually they would say "CSG processed mono master", but presumably sometimes they wouldn't.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Stupid question: Mr Soul on the mono lp is NOT a folddown, correct?

A bit of a confusing topic this Mr Soul person.

If the mono tapes exist get the dang album out on CD please.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct.

However, it uses the same overdubs as the stereo LP mix, as opposed to the different overdubs on the 45 mix.

mpayan likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks, then I understood correctly.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ok, which one of you guys is bidding on the copy of Mr Soul at eBay right now that ends in 6 hrs or so?
    Stop it!

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

LOL

Such an amazing album. About as many different genres of music (or influences, perhaps) in ten tracks as just about any other LP I can think of besides Revolver, perhaps---rock, country, jazz, classical, folk, soul, experimental/psychedelia--just amazing.

Chris M likes this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm confused when you say the album wasn't mixed in stereo- ?

15. pool_of_tears

Oops! I meant "wasn't mixed in mono".

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This was one of my "holy grail" finds of 2013 :love:

[​IMG]

Aftermath, Revolver, Mike Dow and 3 others like this.
  17. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Wow, this sure sounds like a dedicated mono mix to me - things sound very different - strings and horns in particular.

18. peter

peter Senior Member

Yeah, real mono IMHO. I have the WLP MONO of LTA and about half of it sounds like real mono, the other half a fold down. One of my holy grails.

19. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Very cool. Always love seeing the mono label of this LP. :)

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just listened to my 45, and I would say with near certainty that it's a fold-down. Why? Because in the stereo mix, the horns/strings track is brought up in level for the strings in the instrumental break, but then isn't brought down immediately when the horns come in; there's one loud horn line, after which the horns are at their normal volume. It has always sounded like a mistake to me, and the 45 matches.

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This past summer I saw not one, but TWO mono copies at a flea market, and at the same vendor's booth! One was even a WLP! Unfortunately the stock copy was severely warped and was certainly unplayable, and the WLP was totally hammered, but for $2 I was willing to take a chance on that one. No dice, even a deep cleaning couldn't make it listenable. :(

Fortunately I scored a very nice, affordable copy a few months ago from the SHF Classifieds. :goodie:

22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Just found a mono copy at my local record store today...can't wait to give it a spin.

imarcq and Revolver like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

45 mix of Mr. Soul:

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

There's are Monarch press for the Stereo, what's the best press for the Mono?

Michael Fremer talking about this record.

Aftermath likes this.
  25. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

That's exactly what happened; Clive Davis at Columbia said their (his?) decision to release five 45's at once killed the group's chances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.