Buy the best speaker stands you can afford!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Towersonic filled with Plaster of Paris for my ATCs here, very happy with them!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Same here. It also keeps the speakers from falling off!

3. action pact

Parisian pride! :)

4. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Indeed. :)

Use Sorbothane pads for decoupling here, but you MUST get the right thickness and durometer and make sure the weight distribution is even, for them to work as intended. There's a calculation you can do to find the right ones, but can't remember it off the top of my head, as they were set up nearly two years ago. Loads more info in this GS thread:

An inexpensive speaker tweak that works! - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community »

action pact likes this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Kinda looks like the old Von Schweikert speakers. Nice job.

6. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Thanks so much for the compliment, the beauty of these is, you can make them any size you want for next to nothing and they are solid as a rock!

7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

If I ever have any money, I won't be buying stands for my bookshelf speakers. I'll be buying Vandersteens!

timind likes this.
  8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't know what your speakers are, but with the extra bass good stands can bring, you may not need to.

9. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

DynAudio actually makes some decent looking stands, but they are beyond my budget and are too short anyway. I'm looking for 30 inches or just above.

So far I'm considering the Sanus Natural Series and the TransDeco 32" stands.

10. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I just sold my Vandersteen 3A Signatures, I had those speakers for a long time, custom Walnut end caps, they were nice looking speakers, but they were really anemic on the low end. I remember saying that to Richard and his replay, well, it's only a $3,500.00 speaker!

arglebargle likes this.
  11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Never heard those, but I fondly remember a friend's 2C's that had plenty of low end. I could probably find them for cheap on eBay today.

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ok, that Sanus model is junk. The other ones have glass, which is not something you want on speaker stands. I take it you're looking in the $100.00 range, which honestly isn't going to get you the best quality, but I understand budgets.

You might want check eBay for used stands as a way to get more for your money.

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

14. Lebowski

I could go up to approx. $200, but I know that's still not a lot in the audio world.

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

when you order the skylans it brings the price to near 200 with the exchange to cad $

16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

As a loudspeaker engineer, speaker stands bug me as a waste of what could have been additional cabinet volume for additional bass extension. And even the fanciest ones are not really attractive to any normal people. AND, I've often said you can end up spending MORE for the whole package than if you had stepped up to tower speakers in the first place.

Now having said that, I saw at T.H.E. Show this past weekend that at higher price points, the step from bookshelf to floor stander is sometimes huge. At the opposite end of the spectrum, though, were a couple of demos with very inexpensive stands. "Craigslist! $25!"

Acoustically I'd have to vote for either wood, or if metal than filled with some kind of damping. Sand. Metal shot? I dunno about that. Jello or Flan, mmmm...

I did also see the Aurum Cantus room, which features stands integrated in design and price. Now those actually looked quite nice.

4xoddic likes this.
  17. action pact

The Sanus Natural Series stands frankly stink. They're made from recycled used pizza boxes or something similarly cheap and lightweight, and resonate badly.

Lebowski likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Damn, these Atacama stands look pretty nice for the price but UK shipping only. :mad:

19. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

Speaker stand height question for everyone. I need some stands for my appx. 16lb. Peachtree D5 speakers, but because my listening room doubles as my computer room, I need taller stands in order to put the tweeters at about ear height, about 39"-40" stands. Any issues or sound concerns using stands this tall?

20. I had to build my own speaker stands because I couldn't find ones tall enough to fit my needs and my speakers were too heavy to mount on the wall. I found everything I needed at Home Depot. They worked great.

21. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Built my own to save money. Didn't work out that way. Parts alone came to $70 without factoring labor. While nice, next time I'll buy.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

timind and bluemooze like this.
  23. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Agree about tower spkrs. Stand mounts occupy virtually the same space. Couple that with problems integrating a sub, towers are my choice.

24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You can buy those from dealers that will ship to the US such as www.audioaffair.co.uk

25. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

As long as the stands are solid and don't sway, etc. you'll be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.