Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

It does show Michael Clarkes drumming was not all that up to par back in those days. It does frustrate me too listening to it, that Michael just can't seem to get
    his part down and says he's only doing it for the money and Chris says he's not helping them make any money.
    I think Jim Gordon plays on the final studio cut, if i'm not mistaken. Sure Crosby is unreasonable later on, but he is trying to explain how his song is supposed to go and does lose his patience with his drumming and Micheal just can't get it. Even producer Gary Usher gets frustrated at the drumming at one point.

zobalob likes this.
  2. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I'm listening now and sure, I can tell the difference alright. It's just I hadn't played Flying High in so long, I was used to the Roadmaster versions.
    In the CD booklet with Flying High it says 'One In A Hundred/She's The Kind of Girl' was a single on A&M in 1970. Did this actually come out or was it just proposed?

(Prominent flute on She's The Kind of Girl!)

3. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

If you read Jimmi Seiters books they show the whole thing in a very different light. Michael had a tough time and really tried to redeem himself and worked hard whilst they were a trio after Crosby was fired.

davenav and bonus like this.
  4. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Didn't come out. Amazing really.

Noise Annoys and AlienRendel like this.
  5. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I've always found it kind of ironic that the percussion that made it onto the final Dolphin's Smile sounds really choppy and not exactly what Crosby seems to be asking for. Clarke's attempts, clumsy as they may have been, sounds infinitely more relaxed and calm. Probably just my ears though.

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Yes, and it's not like the Byrds didn't burn through a lot of takes getting their vocals right. And they should have. They also they should have rehearsed a bit before they got to the studio and given Michael a chance to learn the song. But, then, they wouldn't be the Byrds, always able to shoot themselves in the wing.

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The drummer is playing half of the bossa pattern and not the entire two-bar pattern. The latter would have been more effective, especially it were placed so that it worked against the vocal. The existing version (needlessly) emphasizes the rhythm of the words.

8. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Here's how Seiter say's it went down re: Dolphin's Smile:

August 14th 1967 - Dolphin’s Smile - new song worked on in Hawaii. David and Michael fight. Michael goes for a walk. Tribal Gathering attempted again. Overdubs on Draft Morning.

August 15th 1967 - 3 more takes of Tribal Gathering and getting close but David attacks Michael again. Dolphin’s Smile attempted again - 3 more takes that are no good. David is pushing to replace Michael Chris Hillman tells Seiter. Overdubs on Draft Morning and Universal Mind Decoder are done (this song now has words coming) Michael has left during the overdub session, it is decided that Michael would have one more night to get the songs right otherwise ‘other options’ would be tried.

August 16th 1967 - Michael has new sticks, 3 more takes of Tribal Gathering and they nail it. They also get a good take of Dolphin’s Smile in this session WITH Michael. Despite this Crosby asks Gary Usher to book Jim Gordon to come in the next night to record Triad. It seems Michael knew he was not being used the next night but did not want to talk about it.

August 17th 1967 - No Michael. Jim Gordon drums and they get it in 3 takes. Gary likes the drum sound and gets Jim Gordon to do full drum overdubs on Tribal Gathering and Dolphin’s Smile. Seiter states that he felt Michael’s part on Dolphin’s Smile is better.

D.B., davenav, zobalob and 1 other person like this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"Relaxed and calm" would not be the words I would choose to describe his work on that track.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I know we've had this discussion before, but I do not buy the claim that the released version of Tribal Gathering features Gordon. It sure sounds like Clarke's work. If they were dissatisfied with the track recorded with Clarke, wouldn't they have done a fresh take, rather than having Gordon overdub new drums?

Maggie likes this.
  11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Scored a used Sundazed reissue of Notorious mono and heard the mono mix for the first time. Nice.

GV1967 likes this.
  12. devildavid

devildavid Forum Resident

I'm new to the forum so I just wanted to chime in as a Byrds fan. Maybe not a Byrds Nyrd or as hardcore a fan as most on this thread might be. But I do count Sweetheart of the Rodeo as one of my favorite albums of all time.

D.B., Maggie, pablo fanques and 4 others like this.
  13. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Well, relative to the final version.

14. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Is it much different? Never heard any mono Byrds albums

Just scored Sundazed Cancelled Flytes set on eBay for £24!

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Nice choice! Welcome!

bonus likes this.
  16. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Can someone build a Time Machine like NOW? PLEASE???

DmitriKaramazov and davenav like this.
  17. pablo fanques

IIRC, the CD reissue is a complete remix to rectify that, correct? I have the original vinyl signed by Roger on the 'Back From Rio' tour in '91. The look on his face when I whipped that one out was priceless!

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

According to Bob Irwin it's not a remix.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's what I meant. I think the outtake version sounds hamfisted compared to the finished version.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  20. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I just got Cancelled Flytes - anyone else got this? How are these mono mixes? I don't have a turntable!!! Beautiful artwork.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The Byrds from 1965-1967 is great in mono...a lot of punch. If monaural is your bag, I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

sami likes this.
  22. pablo fanques

Always thought "Feel a Whole Lot Better" and "Every Time You Walk In The Room" were great companion releases

sami and ruben lopez like this.
  23. pablo fanques

The sound quality of that is INSANE

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

Hello there fellow Byrds fans!
    I am organising this event to celebrate Gene Clark and his music - it takes place on Tuesday May 24th 2016, the 25th anniversary of his passing.

YHRF present No Other: A Celebration of Gene Clark »

I know a lot of you don't live in Ireland and might not be able to attend, but please share with any other Byrds/Gene Clark fans. I hope it's going to be a really special evening.
    And if you do live in Ireland please come along. It's a not-for-profit event and proceeds will be donated to the Simon Community, a homeless charity.

Thanks

25. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I am really starting to wonder how reliable these Seiter books are. He claims (IIRC) that they are based on meticulous diaries he kept during the period in question. But, leaving aside factual assertions that seem outrageous (not Michael on "Change is Now"?), why are they in the third person?