Cables, cables, cables...any tips? In the market (maybe)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rob303, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Or, perhaps they won't!

[​IMG]

2. I sat through a Nordost demo a few months ago. It was just a demo of 2 grades of power cables and two grades of either USB or HDMI, can't remember which. It was an all SS System with laptop sourced audio and fancy switching power amps. Anyway, each cable change changed the sound more than I thought it would. The sound with both of the best cables was too bright and plastic sounding for me.

3. missan

missan Forum Resident

It has of course nothing to do with how serious one is, it has to do with how the difference is possible to detect, and in what way. If not detected there is no difference and vice versa. For ourselves we can detect anything, it doesn´t matter, to show a difference that that can be proven is something else, and complicated. If anything the more seriously one is looking into it, the more difficult it will become to show a difference.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

What would be a good recommendation for a 10' run of speaker cables where it would be an amazing and drastic difference (improvement hopefully) for about $500 or less over 12g O2 free copper? Or even it takes a bit more money to get to that point I'm open to suggestions.

Would these be considered also neutral or as it's been described in this thread high end cables are voiced.

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Are you talking multi-stranded wire? If so, try something in a Litz configuration. Go to cable company and demo some Wireworld Solstice. It is cheap, but I suspect is will sound very different. It has no obvious characteristics, but pretty even frequency performance, good low-level detail, and no much spark in the transients.

6. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Multi or solid core. I am looking for the cable where you replace your speaker cables and go wow. Something universally known to impress people with a simple swap.

Granted a lot of this is equipment dependent but my profile is up to date.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Solid core silver Lectraline. Impressed both me and Steve Hoffman.

8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I have no idea what that means?

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

IMO, solid core tends to sing at certain frequencies. If this is in the horn range, it can be nice. Multi-strand tends to reveal texture and detail, but smear transients. I think the cable I recommended takes out spurious noise, so a very rich, detailed midrange emerges, and transients have just a little spark. I think the design will work well in pretty much any system, but it isn't a wow difference, but rather an ahhhhh, that lingering bit of sibilance and distortion is gone and I can now hear all the details, unobstructed. That's my take. I bet there are other cables that do the same, but not at that price. YMMV

tootull likes this.
  10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No, I think it's pretty clear that most do or there wouldn't be 40-50 or more cable manufacturers doing a bang-up business.

11. missan

missan Forum Resident

Well it´s the best I can do.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Good description of SOLID vs. MULTI-STRAND.

tootull and jupiterboy like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A danger when using aggressive cables, yes. One must be very careful.

14. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Yes. Not taken personally. I love a good debate. As they say up here, pas de sweat.

15. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

If I Google it right now, I bet there are at least 40-50 different brands of Phillips screwdrivers I can choose from that all more or less do the same job.

norman_frappe likes this.
  16. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I had the same impression with some Audioquest cables. Some are just not good matches with certain gear. Some cables I've tried melded beautifully into my set up; other were like chaulk screeching across a blackboard. That's why it's advisable to smooze with knowledgeable and attentive owners of good audio stores. When trust is established they'll generally let you audition cables before purchasing. And when you do so, please buy from that store. Don't turn around and order the stuff on the internet. That's just low class.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Like I said in an earlier post, maybe on this thread or maybe another. I use Atlas Navigator and Chord Chorus cables, both £200+ wires. I also use cables made by Fisual. There interconnects came in at about £10, their optical cable about the same. I think I'm a pretty serious listener, I've been mucking around with stereos for years and years and know my favourite tracks intimately. But I still baulk when I read statements like the above.

The difference between my £10 cable and my £200+ ones are cosmetically quite stark, but audibly, not so much. Not £200-worth that's for sure. There is a difference, but so minor that you'd really have to question the validity of the pricier cables, or at least, wonder why Fisual aren't pitching their wares at a higher price.

Bottom line, I think even a casual listener could work out what differences exist. I think the market is further muddled by dodgy information on this topic and it's to the consumer's disadvantage, but we have what we have. Most of all, I think we are limited by our use of language in this hobby. One man's "night and day" is another's "minor difference". Allied to a complete and utter unfamiliarity with others' systems, where none of us can comment on the surroundings or the resulting sound, our limitations in this regard are clearly defined. The debate is anything but, but more a collection of entrenched opinions. I came to my conclusions using a range of cables over a range of systems over many years. I'm quite comfortable in my conclusions ultimately. My only recommendation for anyone else is to consider Fisual (or their ilk, there are many good pro-audio dealers who offer good quality interconnects and other cables for low cost) or to go the route I did and try higher priced cables sold at heavy discount.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    SBurke, Rolltide and jupiterboy like this.
  18. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

From my perspective thats exactly what people are arguing about. My screwdirver turns the screw better than yours can etc. So nana nana boo boo stick your head in doo doo.

octaneTom likes this.
  19. Actually, some screwdrivers ARE made better than others.

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

As is becoming common in this thread, I don't understand what you are trying to say. Is it that most of those screwdrivers don't do what they are supposed to do? Is it that nearly all of them are over-priced or "snake oil"?

21. missan

missan Forum Resident

Except for screwdrivers there really can be a tremendous difference how well they work.

rbbert likes this.
  22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Why do you balk at my statement? Your long post is in 100% agreement with what I posted.

23. Or perhaps they will.
    [​IMG]

jfeldt, norman_frappe and octaneTom like this.
  24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not really. I don't believe that you need to be a serious listener to hear the differences in cables. Simple as that.

jupiterboy likes this.
  25. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Probably yes but do you see people argue about it was such vitriol? In a pinch my Swiss Army knife could do the same job with ease. Just sayin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.