Californication - Reissue - Cut by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

If this is decent, I expect a stampede.

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think this can be a great reissue if it is done correctly. I'm just worried because I thought there would be more information, even a bigger press release from the online store emails (Elusive Disc, Soundstage Direct, Acoustic Sounds).

And Right on Time is a great song and even better live. I love John's vocal part in that one.

3. mikemoon

Ok, just as I state that about the press release, I check my email and Elusive Disc sent one on Friday.

It does state vinyl cut by Bernie Grundman but no mention of mastering source. Is this odd?

4. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Odd? No. Typical and annoying? Yes.

5. mikemoon

Agreed.:D

I thought about that before I typed that word.

6. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Probably from the 2 track master.

To really improve on the album they would need to go to the work parts and remix the whole album for better stereo spread and more dynamics.

In this day and age...I don't think mainstream America would like a high dynamic range version of Californication. Just too much to do it right. :sigh:

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

According to the article I posted earlier, the band wanted that near mono sound, but the original 2 track analog master should be considerably more dynamic than the CD/LP that originally came out.

8. mikemoon

This is what I thought. The sound on Cali isn't going to be as dynamic as Stadium or BSSM. It wasn't the intention of the original recording. Even By the Way was created to have more of a Telstar 60s compressed sound.

Now saying that, a remix would be interesting.

9. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Bumped back to October 23rd. I hope this isn't one of these titles that keeps getting bumped well into 2013, really looking forward to this release.

10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The "Californication Unmastered" version is quite dynamic, actually.

11. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Forum Resident

Bungalow Bill a throwaway? Nah, I love that song. One of The Beatles' best underrated ones. Inspired by a true story about one of the guys they were with in India.

Usually when I think of throwaway, the example that comes straight to my head is from Cream's "Disraeli Gears". Ginger Baker's "Blue Condition" really throws things off, especially being sandwiched between "Dance the Night Away" and "Tales of Brave Ulysses".

"Mother's Lament" was obviously something Cream did to fill the album time, as well.

I'm glad that RHCP's "Californication" is finally getting the treatment it deserves, though. I doubt Bernie Grundman is going to mess this one up given his reputation and the reputation of the album. I'm not really an RHCP fan, but damn, the songs on this album do really reach the genius level. I feel like a lot more people on these forums will accept it as a classic when they get to hear it without the shoddy mastering.

12. :(

I saw that the other day, I was planning on pre-ordering, but may just wait now...

13. This album has always suffered. I have the unmastered copy, ha ha. Best out there.

14. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

15. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I've heard it and it sounds much better than the released CD. I believe it's a different mix and not a different mastering though. I wouldn't say it's sonic nirvana though. A bit loud but nowhere near the released CD volume.

16. Anyone know any more about the release of this album? Remix, remaster, cut from original tapes, etc...

Getting excited but would like to know a bit more before I drop 37 bucks, haha.

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

If anyone can ame it sound good, Bernie and his crew can.

18. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Very curious too.

19. Very true

20. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

still no definitive news on this??

21. Looks about the same, as far as I can tell.

22. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Bumping thread because I had to smack my hand off of the "order" button just now.

Curious if anyone has any additional or new information on remastering efforts. I am probably not going to purchase this one blind - it is a little spendy given how bad the CD sounds outside of driving in a convertible with the top down.

23. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

24. bonifakula

bonifakula Forum Resident

So its in stock at acousticsounds now, anyone going to buy it?
    I guess I will eventually...

25. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Mine just shipped from Elusive Disc. I'll be curious to hear it, because I think the CD is one of the worst mastered releases I have. Stadium Arcadium isn't far behind.