Calling all Beatle experts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I lost my copy of Lewishon many years ago so I'm going to pick the brains of some of you experts out there....

Other than Here Comes the Sun and I Me Mine and the obvious (Yesterday, Blackbird, etc.), what Beatle songs feature no instrumental involvment from John? (not counting vocals)

What instrumental contribution did John make to Penny Lane, When I'm 64 and W/ a Little Help from My Friends??

Thanks,

Chris

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

A couple of others:

George's Indian tracks
    Ob la di Ob la da

3. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Eleanor Rigby

4. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

why don't we do it in the road, I will, her majesty, she's leaving home (except for vocals)....i'm sure there's a few more....

5. xios

xios Senior Member

John plays piano on "Ob La Di...", and percussion on "I Will".

6. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I believe Lewisohn's book attributes at least one of the (many) piano tracks on "Penny Lane" to Lennon.

And I'm not sure where I read it, but I thought it was Lennon playing the little electric guitar figure in the background behind the last verse in "When I'm Sixty-Four." (He also played the guitar solo on "Honey Pie" the following year ...)

"With a Little Help from My Friends" I'm not sure about. I'd bet Lennon is on it, playing either the choppy rhythm guitar figure or maybe even the piano ... But I'm not sure. Anyone else?

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Probably several of the "solo" Paul tracks from the White Album. I recall reading an interview where John stated that he'd loved "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" but wasn't asked to participate.

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

John and Paul's harmony vocal can be heard towards the end of THe Inner Light.

Also John Recorded a rhythm guitar track for Old Brown Shoe, which was later wiped.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Her Majesty:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.