Calling veteran music listeners for a (likely impossible) tune ID request

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hail Vinyl!, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hail Vinyl!

Hail Vinyl! Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi and thank you in advance for your input. When I was a little kid (early 70s) there was an instrumental tune that I heard lots of times being used on TV as introductory or background music, the way this was used as background on lots of radio and TV news in the late 70s in my country.

The big problem here is, I don't have absolutely any kind of document of the melody I'm looking for. The only thing is a 3-second snippet that I have firmly embedded in memory. Now, I'm not going to say something like "it goes 'doo dum ba-dump tralala'". What I've just did is recording a MIDI file playing that snippet and I can tell you: It's EXACTLY what I have in my head and what I remember from TV (it was used, for instance, on one educative sketch of the Mexican version of "Sesame Street"). And the sounds (timbres) I used to create the MIDI file are quite close to the real ones.

I know it's nearly impossible to identify a melody just from a 3-second audio file. But I hope that, being so accurately transcribed (and I'm completely sure about it), it may ring some bells on some of you.

This is the link to download the audio file (.WAV, 845.7 KB):

Unknown.wav (845.70KB) - SendSpace.com

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hope somebody will have the answer. Thank you one more time!

2. Hail Vinyl!

Just a bump since threads with no replies get buried real fast. I know the chance of someone having the answer to my question is extremely remote, but I'll give this thread a couple bumps more before giving up altogether. Thank you!

3. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  4. Hail Vinyl!

ParloFax likes this.
  5. Hail Vinyl!

This is the second of three bumps I'll give to this thread (I don't want to lose hope completely so soon). Thank you!

6. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

7. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

There's so little of the tune there. It's hard to tell.

8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Truth be told, unless you know otherwise for sure, this may have been simply a piece of production music put together solely for that purpose...there are tens of thousands of such tracks, if not more, that were just used as stingers or bumps or sweeps (depending on the given program's nomenclature)...I wish you luck, but I think you're personal MIDI project may be about as close as you'll ever get to discovery...

Fullbug, BryanW and Joy-of-radio like this.
  9. Hail Vinyl!

I know. I just want to be able to tell myself that I tried the hardest I could. Thank you for your comment!

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  10. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

I think I got it:

11. Hail Vinyl!

When I created my original post I thought of mentioning "Popcorn", since the tune I'm looking for has a similar vibe (although not as rhythmic). I'd dare to say that the timbre used for the melody is the same used for "Popcorn", only in a lower register (think of "Popcorn" being played by a piccolo flute and the tune I'm looking for played by an alto flute). And both have a synth bass part, but in "my" tune it sounds like played by sort of a harpsichord. And both tunes are contemporaries (or I heard them both for the first time in the same time frame).

I appreciate your effort. Thank you very much!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    dgstrat likes this.
  12. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

In light of that post - this one "popped" into my head...I know this is a long shot?

13. Hail Vinyl!

This sounds like the instrumental version of an old radio hit. What I have in mind about this elusive tune is something less "poppy". Vangelis probably would have composed something similar to this unknown tune in his formative years.

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  14. Hail Vinyl!

Reading the previous posts I've just thought that probably listening to full albums online I might get the answer. I've just played both albums released by Hot Butter and also "Music To Moog By" by Gershon Kingsley to no avail. But can anybody please recommend me more similar music to check? Basically synth-based music from the early 70s (up to '73). Thank you!

15. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Perhaps "The Savers" or "Electronic Can Can" by Perrey & Kingsley? Both were used on TV shows in the 70's--the former on the game show The Joker's Wild and the latter on Wonderama.

16. Hail Vinyl!

I've just listened to the whole "Kaleidoscopic Vibrations" album by Perrey & Kingsley, but no. I think the vibe of the piece I'm looking for is something in-between the Jean-Michel Jarre example I linked in my original post (which isn't very melodic) and Perrey & Kingsley music (which is very rhythmic).

Thank you very much!

17. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I think your idea is quite likely to be correct. The only one I came up with was "Psyche Rock", but when I listened to it, it wasn't anywhere close.

18. HelloPoodle

HelloPoodle Forum Resident

Doesn't really sound like your midi file, but Kraftwerk's Autobahn was released in '74 and was fairly popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.