Cambridge Audio 752BD Universal Player review or, "how Universal players should be done"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm with you, there's no one true way. And in audio too. :)

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Doesn't sound like that to me....sounds to me like you've reached your perfect sound...you are at the end of your journey....:)

3. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Just curious, what aspect of the Luxman was "not up to the job"?

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

For now. As far as the source goes, but that's in the current setup in the current room. Times change. But I'm happy with my approach. Onkyo AV amp, very good Pioneer speakers and the Cambridge - delighted with the end result.

5. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It had the power in theory but it simply didn't sound like it nor was the quality right in essence there was a grainy aspect to things as well as the sound not really gelling-it simply sounded like it was struggling to drive the speakers. However I got to try a Luxman L550 AX and that was up to the job-a very good match to the Proacs much more transparent much more "powerful" in a good way. I could have lived with that amp but despite the fact it was brand new there was the odd pop and crack that occurred which dented my confidence and the price was an issue as it was being sold as ex-dem and I couldn't agree a price with the dealer. I really like Luxman amps I have no issues with them at all and would recommend them to anyone. The Proacs really sang once you had the right amp with them. I had a Rega Osiris for a few months but found that was simply too powerful for the 4 ohm Proacs-it was too potent a match. Again in many ways I would recommend that amp especially for hard to drive speakers.

As it turned out I got a better amp at a better price than the Luxman once I heard the Esoteric A-100 there was no way back the only thing I had to check out was the technical support side of things and reliability-once I found that was solid I did a deal on it.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  6. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Another aspect I should have mentioned when I had issues with my new speakers I was almost certain as well the Oppo was playing a part and that a subsequent new amp would invariably mean a new front end upgrade. The next few months taught me the importance of amp/speaker matching because I didn't find that to be the case once I had nailed that.
    Now I'm at that stage-as we all get to when our systems sound the best we've ever heard that I can't imagine how much better things can get. But of course there are literally hundreds of better machines better than the Oppo and lots of new alternatives in the future-that's what makes this hobby exciting.......

7. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I still say oppo spelled sideways is 'poop'.
    I'm done now.
    back to the recliner for another round.
    carry on......Karaoke.
    the beave

8. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Carry On Our Wayward Beave.......there'll be peace when you are gone.....:)

mrob0000 likes this.
  9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I sold it already my friend-you'll find as well that the power rating is one thing but the quality of it is another and of course how the amplification is derived is another-the real beast I had was the Rega Osiris a grip of steel..........

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Very cleverly put there BSC.
    I do believe in the concept of 'Synergy' indeed. Even though it's not scientific. The thing that has been a kick for me is something breaking in my system-forcing me to buy/try a different piece of gear. I've been amazed at the times when such a change was actually for the betterment of the system. Even though I thought that the 'system' had achieved it's pinnacle sonic ally, I was wrong, and it got better but I would have never known if a component didn't break on me.

good to know about the Luxman though, thank you for your shared experience.
    the Wayward Beave.
    Wayward has the name 'Ward' in it.
    Connections all over the place.

11. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

ever get around to this.....?

12. Brother_Rael

Runs cool. Offers gapless as well. Haven't tried running a file that would test that it yet but apparently it does. Big tick in the box for me that one is.

13. kda

kda Senior Member

Installed the 752 in my system just yesterday. Sounds great as described in the reviews I have read. It is detailed without being bright, and with a very coherent sound. I prefer it to the Marantz SA8003 it replaced -- better high and low end. But the 8003 is hardly at the top of the Marantz food chain. The improvement over the 8003 is more significant for regular CDs than for SACD. As far as I can recall, it is comparable if not better than the fully modded Modwright Sony DVP9000es, which is the best SACD player I have previously owned.

Sorry, have not listened to the Oppo in my system so can't contibute tothat debate.

Does anyone have experience with burn-in? Sounds great out of the box for me.

Mike McMann and Brother_Rael like this.
  14. Brother_Rael

After two weeks nearly, it just maintains that lovely cohesive sound you describe. Not at all surprised to hear your thoughts. Thanks for sharing your insight on this.

Even at full price this player is a steal for the money. Outpacing at Modwright? Wow. Nice.

Mike McMann likes this.
  15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Review: Azur 851D DAC

This review may be useful for those following this thread since it shows the direction Cambridge is heading in. For example, Wolfson has been dropped in favor of Analog Devices.

Mike McMann likes this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Wolfson has been bought over by Cirrus Logic which may have influenced that decision.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

A bit off topic here but looking at the 851D DAC's specs it appears it doesn't support DSD. Kind of odd in this day and age for a $1499 outboard DAC to not support DSD.

Bill

Mike McMann and Brother_Rael like this.
  18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I agree that outboard DACs should support DSD, but I'm not sure at which price point that should be the rule.

19. Brother_Rael

The decision may also have been influenced by factors outwith the technology, e.g. pricing.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not well versed in currently available DACs but IIRC there are some DACs in the $1k range that support DSD. Here is a link from Music Direct listing DACs that support DSD. It shows eight that are priced at $1k or less. So it seems that having DSD support isn't just for higher priced DACs. My apologies for straying of topic once again :o.

Bill

Mike McMann likes this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Teac, to name but one, offers two in is current range. Both are under £600. Both, apparently, very good indeed. Not sure why Cambridge left that out at that price.
    Missed opportunity I think.

Mike McMann likes this.
  22. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

It does seem odd, the article mentions that the chip is capable but not included.

23. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Nice list of DACs. The new Marantz HD-DAC 1 is very interesting.

24. Brother_Rael

It's not that unusual for manufacturers to not realise that the DAC chip they've employed offers DSD.

Arcam had at least one AVR of theirs accommodate SACD/DSD but there wasn't a word of it in their manual!

Mike McMann likes this.
  25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Cambridge may focus on other design aspects which impact the sound quality. It's so easy to fixate on "the chip", but we don't know how that chip is being used beyond the very basics. Ya don't just plug it in and magically get analog. Additionally, they may have a partner who designs the digital conversion while they focus on the unit's power supply design and analog outputs. For some designs, it's possible to activate DSD with a firmware upgrade. I'd be surprised if their sales rep wouldn't answer questions if anyone was curious enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.