Cambridge Audio - Azur 851C - CD Player, DAC, Digital Preamplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You can't beat the satisfaction and service of buying locally.
    -Bill

Brother_Rael, George P and c-eling like this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Sound quality of the Cambridge top end units is excellent, but a bit finicky with system matching. Reliability and service has been more problematic recently, based upon reports from many sources. It's tough to find good products these days with production of most being in China now.
    -Bill

Basso Profondo and Roycer like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Indeed.

The salesman at this retail store looked up the player with me on their computer, quickly said he had it in stock and that he could have it for me by 4pm. Then, as a longshot, I asked if there was any wiggle room on the (retail) price. Without batting an eye, he took off $100.

4. George P

For me, reliability is almost as important as the sound. I guess I have been spoiled by 3 Yamaha players over the last 20 years. Each has lasted between 6-8 years. And total price for all three was well under what the 851c costs.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You can easily get discounts of £100 on Yamaha over here. Likely it's pretty standard if you ask.

6. George P

I just noticed that the original price of the CDS700 was $1,000 and the original price of the CDS300 was $350. Considering the two units have the same functions, they must think the CDS700 is about three times the player that the CDS300. The CDS700 is also nearly twice the weight of the CDS300.

I also noticed that amazon has the CDS700 listed as discontinued for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. Night Rider

Night Rider Well-Known Member

I have the Cambridge Azur 651c, which I presume is the previous version. I must say it was well worth the money, and its clarity, detail and all round audio quality are really first class.

The only very minor niggle I have with it is that the tray is quite slow to eject.

rischa likes this.
  8. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I am very pleased with the Yamaha S300 so I think you'll find the S700 should be very good indeed.

9. George P

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Bill. It's not very encouraging at all. This player is $1,500. One would imagine at that price, that they'd be getting solid reliability.

10. George P

c-eling likes this.
  11. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have had the 851 for almost 3 years and never had an issue with anything. I've used mine frequently until I burned everything to a NAS and now stream.

No one can tell you how long the 851 will last because there are too many variables including how you treat it and if you live in a fairly dust-free home as compared to living with shedding pets.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  12. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I have an Azur 550c and I really enjoy it. I've owned it for 6 years now with no problems. A couple of CD's that I bought used wouldn't play but they weren't taken good care of to begin with and I wasn't really surprised. One day I do plan on upgrading to a newer model but not until I just have to.

13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

No clue George.
    As Testikoff (in his own polite, subliminal manner) told me most if not all digital to analog converters can handle pre, it's whether they choose to 'turn it on' or not.

George P likes this.
  14. George P

I always treat my stereo equipment well. And my home is low dust, no pets.

Thanks for sharing with me here and via PM. Your input has been very helpful!

I also called three high end audio shops today and they all report selling over a hundred of these players each and none of them could recall a single return.

I ordered a Cambridge Audio Azur 851c today. It arrives Friday.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I've had an Azur 651c for about 5 years. I did have to return my first one due to a burning smell that came from the transport, but the replacement has been trouble free. I love the sound--lush, warm, smooth and full.

George P likes this.
  16. padreken

padreken Senior Member

I heard the Cambridge Azur gear at last year's RMAF, and was very impressed with what I heard in the demo. Congrats, I think you have made a great choice.

George P likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Good shout. The 851C is one very well kitted out machine. Cracking connectivity at the back too - optical, USB, coax - preamp, great DAC, and fine build.

And again, all that connectivity, who knew?!

18. George P

19. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

[​IMG]

20. George P

In my defense, i own these:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

cdgenarian and fogalu like this.
  21. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I had similar issues with the 840C, the unit may have worked correctly for three months, was sent back to Montreal and transport issues were never repaired correctly. It did have great sound but I dumped it for my TDA-1543 based Magnavox circa 1987.

22. George P

Was yours a demo or floor model? Or did you buy it new?

23. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I bought it new from Music Direct in Chicago.

24. George P

OK, thanks.

25. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

My pleasure, best of luck!

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.