Camel 'Moonmadness' - Happy 40th anniversary !!!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi folks! :wave:

Well, the title says it all

Happy 40th anniversary to one of the most beautiful, wonderful yet overlooked prog masterpiece:
    Moonmadness

It happen to be the last album by the original Camel line-up, and to this day it's my favourite album by them

Share your feelings, memories, etc about this magnificent LP
    And I STRONGLY recommend you to pick up the 2014 Japanese SHM. It's by far the finest-sounding version of this title. You won't regret it! :righton:

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I'm hoping that there may be a surround mix coming soon.

Rufus rag and ponkine like this.
  3. Just got the vinyl and sounds glorious. This is my favorite Camel album.

sonofjim and ponkine like this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This was on another thread but this album spawned the longest 45 RPM single in history-- The US "Another Night" single b/w a live version of "Lunar Sea" that ran 10:20 and still played at 45. Sounds good too-- I found a copy online after reading about it here.

Rufus rag and Jeremy Holiday like this.
  5. ponkine

Hint Steven!

I'd love him to remix the Camel's "Holy Trinity" Mirage - Snow Goose - Moonmadness

At least the last 2 have a wonderful sounding versions on 2014 SHM, but Mirage has never sounded good on CD

dennis the menace likes this.
  6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have to disagree with you there - the first press WG Deram CD sounds terrific on my system.

dennis the menace likes this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

If by Steven you mean Steven Wilson...then YES! :agree:

anduandi and ponkine like this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, I'm pretty stuck on Mirage and the 1st album (whose LP I just gave to a friend last night). I was going to say I would put Moonmadness in my Spotify cue, but those are apparently not licensed. Urk! Maybe I was too quick to give that LP...:yikes:

ponkine likes this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Listening to this now, currently on "Air Born"

Thanks for the post, it's been to long !

ponkine likes this.
  10. Which vinyl copy did you get? I lost my original Canadian pressing in a flood and ended buying the MOV reissue, which is quite nice, but I'm interested in hearing about other pressings.

11. ponkine

If the powers that be are reading this thread, please let's relase the complete Hamersmith Odeon 1976 on DVD/Blu-Ray :righton:

marblesmike and EddieMann like this.
  12. ponkine

13. Mine is the Back To Black 180 gram edition. I haven't loved all of those, but this one was really quiet and sounds good. Also have the recent 2-cd issue of the album.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

First album is essential, too, and "Rain Dances" is almost as good.

Xabby and ponkine like this.
  15. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Love Moonmadness,

As for digital versions, I thought the shm-sacd was the preferred version(compared to the shm cd)

How does the mastering on the 2 cd deluxe compare to the original cd?

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Lunar Sea continues to blow my mind. Andy's solo towards the end has to be one of the finest solos I've ever heard. And to have witnessed the song performed at Ramblin' Man Fair in Maidstone, Kent last year was simply astonishing. And they seemed to have focused heavily on the album that night too.

I just received a notification from QQ regarding a 40th Anniversary remix of Moonmadness but cannot seem to access the thread via the Tapatalk app at present, so count me in as very curious. :)

Rufus rag likes this.
  17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Great album, the first Camel record I heard from beginning to end. Great sound, great ocean-y vibe on the final track; big fan of the original Deram CD.

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

This is the only Camel album I own. I think I bought it because Mike from Opeth was talking about them. Brings me back to my teenage days of scanning tiny print in cassette booklets looking for band names in the thank you's.

Wounded Land and FVDnz like this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Well, I reckon you oughta check out the debut album as the classic 'Never Let Go' is a massive reason for Mikael admittedly ripping off the song by coming out with the also brilliant 'Benighted.'

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It's on my (long) list.

FVDnz likes this.
  21. agn

agn Forum Resident

Hope Andy Lattimer is doing OK post bone marrow transplant. Miss Pete Bardens!

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  22. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

One of the absolute prog classics and I as I have opined here before it is at the top of my list for the Steven Wilson treatment.

Jim N. and Jvalvano like this.
  23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yeah, great album, great band, easily as good as Mirage.

The Snow Goose, I can live without...it's all a bit dull.

Two of the later albums I really like, are Breathless, and Nude: highly recommended.

Rufus rag and Pete Puma like this.
  24. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Reading the cached post on QQ, This appears to be an April fool (in poor taste)

25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Love this record - everything up until Rain Dances is great, and Breathless is good too. But... Ice might be THE best Camel song ever. Shame it's on a rather poor record.

FVDnz and agn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.