Can Record Cleaning Fluid Dissolve Stylus/Cantilever Glue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by emjel, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjel

emjel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yesterday, I was recording some vinyl LPs after I had cleaned them with my RCM. Now rather than sit there and listen to every song, I just let the album play whilst I am doing something else and then return normally when the last track is being played so I can then turn the LP over and record side two. However on one record, it finished a few minutes before I went back and to my surprise, or should that be horror, the arm had moved from the run out grooves onto the actual label. I looked at the actual Stylus tip and could see what looked like a bit of fluff build up, and blew it away. But then to my horror, I discovered that the actual Stylus had come off and was nowhere to be seen.

Now I am wondering if the Stylus actually came adrift whist in the run out grooves, causing the arm to go across to the label. Replaying the recording, I can hear the repeated clicks from the run out groove and then suddenly, there is just an unpleasant sound as the Stylus/cantilever is on the record label.

Is it possible that a small trace of liqud was left on the run out groove area and has somehow dissolved the glue that mounts the Stylus. The spray is the stuff supplied by ProJect which is then diluted with de-ionised water. The AT cartridge which is not one of their cheaper models is only just out of warranty and probably has only had 50 hours playing time.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Sounds like a faulty cartridge.
    It is well documented thst isopropyl alcohol based stylus/and record cleaners can dissolve the bond between
    Stylus and cantilever.
    But in this instance its unlikely.
    The Expert Stylus Company who retip cartridges reccomend "Specsavers " non alcoholic Spectacle cleaner to clean stylus.
    But even if a small ammount of cleaner was on record it would not have long enough to dissolve this bond.

3. emjel

Thanks. Maybe AT will take sympathy on me as it is just out of warranty - it is one of their newer cartridges - rogue glue. Maybe I'll call their Customer Services.

4. Thorensman

Yes
    that's a good idea. They stand to lose out if they cannot keep their customers satisfied.
    I believe along Najoaka they are the biggest cartridge producer in the world.

5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

i'm pretty sure epoxy is used to bind a stylus to a cantilever and isopropyl alcohol has no effect on cured epoxy

Hubert jan and Thorensman like this.
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The RCM fluid couldn't be the reason for the stylus separating. If you are using a liquid stylus cleaner and over saturate the brush then yes it might have that effect over time although the cantilever might sag first. I think faulty construction is far more likely.

emjel likes this.
  7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Apparently, the epoxy that's used to attach the stylus to the cantilever is slightly hydrophilic. The application of a cleaning agent containing water, will over time cause the epoxy to break down. I learned this while watching a video presentation with Peter Ledermann (The SoundSmith).

jeff

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

If the issue is stylus cleaner as opposed to record cleaner then yes care must be taken. This is why several non liquid methods of cleaning the stylus are sold. I have used Last 4 stylus cleaner for decades without issues but I use it very carefully and sparingly only once a day. Otherwise I use dry brushing and cleaning of the stylus.

9. emjel

Thanks for all the replies. There have never been any occasions when I have used a liquid stylus cleaner. Just a little puff of air has always removed any debris. And the RCM seems to suck the moisture on the record so it is difficult to see how any contamination could occur. I would have thought that something costing £185 would have lasted longer than 12.5 months although I am working on the basis that the Stylus came off at the end of the record that resulted in the arm moving across to the label. If the Stylus somehow jumped out of the run out groove and the arm moved into the label, how likely is it that the Stylus broke off whilst "playing the label".

10. Thorensman

Yes i agree with this. Its a faulty
    Cartridge, and i,s sure AT will assist.

11. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Ortofon does not recommend wet cleaning their cartridges because of the adhesives used on their styli, and supplies a dry brush for cleaning. For the same reason I would think that record cleaning fluid would do similar damage.

12. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Is it normal for the stylus to be attached to the cantilever with glue? I never knew that.

Why then would some people wet-play albums? Aren't they just asking for problems like the stylus coming off? That along with the fact that most people should know electronics do not like water.

I know they claim that wet-playing an LP makes it sound better, I have not tried this but even if it DOES work, is it even worth the risk of messing up the cartridge because the stylus fell off?

13. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I simple yet elegant way of attaching two very different materials.

Not to mention water traveling up the cantilever into the coil assembly.:eek:

jeff

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the cart. It's not rare but it's not universal.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I believe that it takes constant use from a liquid based cleaner to loosen the bond that the stylus has to the cantilever. I use Blu Tac now as per Soundsmiths recommendations and started doing this from when I got my cart last March, as the instructions say to not use liquid.

Its probably unlikely in most cases, though Id rather not take the chance to be honest...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.