Can you answer three questions for me re: The New Beatles Vinyl Mono Reissues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

1) I'm neither an audiophile nor a Beatles collector (though I am an enthusiast) so I'm going to say (at the risk of much scorn) that I am underwhelmed by the Mono box. I'm not sure what kind of magical, mind-bending, sound candy I was expecting to hear, but I'm going to just say that it just sounds fine to me. Again, I'm not an audiophile, and am not listening on a system that cost as much as my house (or even my car), but as a casual vinyl enthusiast I'm just not seeing the value. Is it a gorgeous, cool, and exciting thing? YES! But do I feel that I'm getting my money's worth? No. Which brings me to...

2) At this point I'd probably say "no" to shelling out hundreds of dollars on other mono reissues. Maybe I'd buy some single album reissues for $20-30, but would not spend hundreds again.

3) I will buy more vinyl, but not because of the Mono box. I pulled out my turntable a while ago, so it (the Mono box) does not really sway me one way or the other, aside from spending hundreds of dollars on music I already own and really was not so disappointed with.

For what it's worth, I recently acquired a used California Audio Labs CD player, and WOW! am I blown away by that thing. So, if anything, I might be buying more CDs now!

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

1. I love The Beatles' mono mixes, especially the ones that sound significantly different from the stereo counterparts, most notably with the White Album.

2. I'd certainly consider purchasing mono mixes of other artists' records.

3. Yes, I definitely plan to purchase more vinyl ... dammit.

Thanks Steve.

3. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Preface: Being older (now in my 50's), I have developed a deeper appreciation for "Very Well Done Mono" (there are some old mono LP's that sound - to me - murky. Not Beatles - just VA). Also just fyi, I already have about a 2,200 LP collection (99% is stereo from the 70's & 80's, very little is mono). P.S. I do have the 2012 Stereo & 2014 Mono Beatles Boxes from Germany. I also have a UK Blue Box Stereo and both boxes for Singles & EP's from the 1980's and a full set of Stereo US LP's from the 1970's plus all solo LP's. I know Beatles. I like Beatles. I buy Beatles.

Q1: Yes, I like the mono mixes (having grown up in the 70's with only the US stereo and later in the 80's the UK stereo). Admittedly, if I had a better setup (tt, speakers, etc ...) I would have a better appreciation for them. My tt is nearly shot and my speakers both blown - I use an old Koss Optimus Pro 4AA plugged into an old Technics receiver w/CD player for my listening pleasure.

Q2: YES! If You (and by You, I mean Steve Hoffman) were to be put in charge of a Frank Sinatra Mono-only LP box set (including singles & soundtracks) from the Capitol era - I'll buy it! Hell, why limit it to the Capitol era ... ANY era! ALL eras! I'd also get a Beach Boys mono LP's in a box.

Q3: Yes, I would buy more records - but - the recent problems with the 2012 Beatles Rainbo pressings (I had a bad box) have me very concerned that quality control is not as greatly stressed as it once was back in the 60's - 80's, and 180 gram records (while nice) aren't very wallet-friendly especially if they might have to come as imports. I'd likely get some other artists - but I wouldn't go haywire. Yes, I plan to get a new tt and speakers ...

"Oh, somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly. And the dream that you dare to, Oh why, oh why can't I?"

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

How do you like the mono mixes?

I became familiar with the mono mixes of these albums from the 2009 CD box, but since then, I've acquired some of the original monos, plus the black mono box from 1982, but the new mono LPs have been a revelation. I was so pleased on initially listening to the records in my box set that I went right out and picked up individual copies of my favorites, and I'll likely be getting the others in due time.

Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released?

Absolutely. Would specifically love to see the Kinks albums lavished with similar attention

Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing?

This one's a no-brainer for me, as I've been steadily growing my vinyl horde since I reacquainted myself with the format in 2009. In fact, it's lunchtime, and I think I'm going to head up to Telegraph and see if there's anything worth pick up from Amoeba and Rasputin right now.

5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

For most but not all of the Beatles 60s era issues the mono mixes sound preferable to me and I have the majority on original UK Parlophones. I have the Sgt Pepper reissue and compared it to my mint original mono UK pressing. The new mono is extremely good and has the authentic feel of the original with a bit more clarity if slightly less harmonic depth. A real success and saves me spending hundreds of dollars to buy a back up copy.

As for the future of vinyl pressings, NPR featured an ad by Capitol on the vinyl Beatles Mono box and have had rather extensive commentary on it. This must be the first time in decades that vinyl has been advertised on NPR however briefly. This is a significant departure from their past segments where they bring on guests to ridicule vinyl.

6. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

THIS!

Except I'm no audiophile, and as my hearing gets worse as I get older, I'm not likely to ever be such.

Give me a stereo record/CD/MP3 file or whatever any time.

The Beatles' mono releases are nice to have as a curiosity, but they are not my "go-to" discs for any of the albums. I simply don't listen on a transistor or through a dash speaker in a car anymore.

As such, I have not bought the mono vinyl box, nor will I be getting it or any other mono vinyl. My turntable doesn't always play at the right speed these days, and I don't care enough to get something else.

Unless I win the contest, of course...then I would get a nice turntable.

JcS

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  7. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

1. Do I like the mono mixes? Having grown up with the stereo mixes, I've always preferred them, even to the 2009 mono CD box, which I do like. Now that I've heard what mono can sound like on well done vinyl, I think I may be hooked. So yes, I do like them very much.

2. Would I consider buying mono mixes from other bands? Depends. If they're prepared with the same care that went into these mono records, yep. If they are prepared with the same care that went into the stereo mixes, nope.

3. I DEFINITELY plan on buying more records. I just love the whole experience from opening the shrink wrap, studying the covers, and listening to vinyl that was prepared with love.

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm just a person who loves/is passionate about music so.....
    yes, I'm enjoying the mono mixes perhaps more than anything I've heard
    yes, I would definitely buy mono lp's that have been out of print for a long time
    no, this is not a one shot thing for me - I've been buying records since about 1954, and at the age of nearly 72 there's only the following that would stop me; nursing home personnel or death!

9. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Two of the questions aren't relevant for me, as I always had a turntable and also already had heard the mono mixes.

Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released?

Definitely. As many have written, the mono mixes for many pop/rock artists in the 60s could be considered definitive versions, given various factors from the time period.

10. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

1. How do you like the mono mixes? - I like them very well overall. Especially the Masters. I love records cut on the hot side. I am one of those without any “real” Beatles mono experience until now. I believe in stereo after ’68, so maybe TWA was not really necessary in mono. On the other hand, we now have a great version of “Revolution” on Masters, so some later stuff was really good in mono too. It would have been nice if the Help & For Sale mono albums were better sonically, but they are what they are.

2. Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released? – YES, Definitely! CREAM, Kinks, Stones, DC-5, Beach Boys (pre ’66)… You know which ones need it more than me.

3. Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing? – More! Especially with discovering Analogue Productions on this site.
    4. Trying to get a Beatle or a Beatle related person to autograph it... – Paul AND Ringo! Might as well aim high as they say!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I love mono, but would only buy if it comes out on CD. I wish that the mono Beatles CD albums would be released separately from the box. I would buy Sgt. Pepper for sure and possibly a couple others.

TheiPodAvenger likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I grew up listening to the Beatles records as they came out. Starting out with mono, but getting to US stereos from Revolver onward.

I got into them again when I was introduced to UK original monos about 15 or so years ago. I started collecting them and have most.

I MUCH prefer the presentation of the monos, but the stereo versions tend to be more dynamic, and therefore more exciting in that way.

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I had less then 10 mono vinyl before this set. I mostly buy old records and mainly in stereo because they're easier to find at a decent price. (I have lots of mono mixes needledrops on my mediaplayer that I play fairly often.)
    I think this is great and I would definitely buy new mono records(from time to time) of classic 60s rock n roll if they are mastered in the way of this great Beatles set.

14. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

How do you like the mono mixes? - I've only heard Revolver & Rubber Soul, so far. Love them. First time that I've heard either album in mono-analog. Listened to them with my dad, mom and girlfriend, who all responded positively. Specifically, my mother said that mono feels like a wave of sound coming directly at you.

Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released? - Already have: Byrds - 5th Dimension, Sonny Rollins - Live at the Vanguard & Sax Colossus, Miles - Kind of Blue & Bag's Groove, Otis Redding - Otis Blue, Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk.

Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing? - Official LP junkie & Sgt Pepper is on it's way to me while Hard Day's Night is on the wishlist.

15. POGunter

POGunter Forum Resident

1) How do you like the mono mixes?
    Beatles mono box sounds great. In some ways the early mono Beatles does sounds truer to the intent of the music. With that said I would also jump for a new AAA well pressed Stereo Beatles box.

2)Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released?

Sure if it was originally done in mono. The important thing is that the music is treated similar to what they have done with the Beatles Monos. Well mastered from Original tapes staying AAA all the way. In other words, give me great music treated with the respect it deserves and I am in.

16. TheTaxman

TheTaxman Member

I have all the "original" pressings on vinyl and prefer them over stereo mixes. I would be inclined to go "back to mono" for those artists who recorded IN mono. I have a scrappy turn table but I am continuing on the ship to buy more LP's even before CD (except box sets) newer artists I still buy CDs, but I like the classic sound of a record player above digital. I haven't gotten the New box set yet, but I do plan on it now for sure after watching the unboxing and the reviews here!

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have heard the mono mixes from the cd box, and prefer some but not all of them. I would consider buying other 60s mono releases. Unlikely to get into buying a great deal of new vinyl, though I do have a turntable.

18. Turntable Fan

Turntable Fan Forum Resident

I like them a lot. For my ears a lot better than the mono CDs. I have one or two mono Beatles LPs (no first pressings), but the new ones are something completely different.

For sure.. there is a band which is going on tour down under in November for example. Hey ho.. Decca let's go.

Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing?
    I will buy as much records as in the past.. around 40+ new ones per year and I won't stop. So definitely not a one time thing.

19. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Speaking as a consumer. I have been accustomed to the mono mixes for a number of years and prefer them to the stereo in the cases where the mix is superior - for example, Sgt Pepper. Although I generally prefer stereo there are many titles from this era for which the stereo mixes are simply not an enjoyable or realistic listening experience. I absolutely am interested in purchasing new, well produced LPs of mono material, however I must say that I am also very interested in all-analog LPs of any sort - mono or stereo, and that is my criteria for purchasing any LP reissue over an original pressing.

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have wanted the mono CD box since 2009,but could never afford it, I am not buying the mono vinyl box but will buy the individual albums one by one.I have had a turntable since March and have bought lots of records since then (some new, loads thrift store). I always had a turntable up until coming to Canada altough had barely bought any records since the mid 80s and sadly sold off and threw out some (but by no means all) records before the move. Loving getting back into vinyl and thee mono Beatles albums will be a great addition to my early 80s stereo equivalents.

21. I found these mono Ones sound better turned up loud that the stereo ones. With a few exceptions.

They are awesome blasted

22. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I prefer the Beatles mono mixes because there is something very wrong about all of the vocals coming out of one speaker. In 1983 I bought The Beatles 62-66 stereo cassette, and listening to it on a Walkman was virtually impossible, extremely uncomfortable. Mono Beatles are better for me.

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Rubber Soul and Revolver sound fantastic in mono. Tracked down the UK Parlophone LPs of these two soon after I joined this forum.

I always look into mono versions from this era (Sundazed), but I'm also often quite happy with the stereo versions. But an all mono Stones collection on CD would be a must buy for me even though I have the mono LPs.

I have two turntables and just purchased one for my daughter, so new vinyl consists of about 50 percent of my purchases.

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

1. I think the mono mixes sound great.
    2. I would buy more mono of other bands if they are of high quality (crankable) and affordable. The Beatles albums are affordable. But $30, $40, $50 per album doesn't do it for me.
    3. I'm a vinyl kind of guy anyway.

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Love 'em! I never cared for the weird stereo separation, felt it was a little gimmicky.

Yes, definitely. I know he's not a band, but Sinatra's Reprise era LPs in mono would be sweet! As would a Stones mono box.

I'm already an active record buyer, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.