Can you help save me 15 grand?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by teaser5, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

I am hoping this subject line helps me get some attention 'cause I really need some help. I am sure this has been touched on before. I recently started a thread regarding Totem Speakers and BAT power sources and that was a start but I still need the advice of the assembled...I just don't want this to become a CD vs LP, Analog vs Digital, Beatles vs Stones or Spy vs Spy thread...:) .

OK: Can a home theater and a good stereo peacefully co-exist?
    I ask because two years ago I built what I believe is a fine surround system and since then I have learned a few things, many of them right here that cause me to believe that my stereo has suffered as a result of the surround system.

Specifically I think that the phono section of my surround reciever sucks and that my turntable is probably pissed at me for sitting it on a rack next to these big speakers and sub woofer. My solution is to build a completely separate system (currently priced at about...you guessed it: fifteen large), pull off my Rega turntable and Arcam CD player and move it away from the offending vibrating components and live happily ever after. I have only one room to do all of this in although it's very nice sized and we have a baby coming in November so if I don't do it sooner my guess is that I won't get to it at all...

So what about it folks? Any of you got analog and digital sharing their toys and making big loud movies and beautiful music together? Any tricks I don't know? I'm not the best nuts and bolts guy in the world...

:help:
    Thanks!
    Norm

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I believe they can and that they do in my system :)

It all boils down to a pre-amp having a unitary gain input ie whatever signal comes in on that channel is passed straight through. I have a single "system" but have the HT components switched off most of the time

these are

TAG McLaren DVD, TAG AV Pre/Processor and TAG 5 Channel amp. The outputs from the processor goes to the 5 channel amp for the non stereo speakers and also into my Proceed Pre.

When I select that input on the Pre it stops working as a volume control and that function is taken over by the TAG.

When I select any other input for CD or Vinyl I can if I so wish switch off all the AV stuff so it in no way interferes with the audio element. If I didn't have an AV set-up my audio components would be exactly the same - so it's not like I had to find an all singing all dancing AV amp.

All the best - Andrew

3. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Home theater and good stereo (and SACD multi-channel) can co-exist peacefully provided:

1) You are willing to use a high-end solid-state pre-amp/processor in lieu of tubes
    2) The preamp must be able to pass through stereo signals (bypass the processing section)
    3) You should use full range speakers for your surrounds
    4) The rear surrounds should be identical to your front speakers, or at least be manufactured by the same company AND tonally equivalent
    5) Your speaker manufacturer MUST make a high end center channel speaker
    6) You are willing to spend a lot of $$ on your speaker setup - 4 audiophile quality full range speakers and a top center channel is EXPENSIVE

3 & 4 & 5 are VERY important if you EVER plan on listening to multichannel music AND you want your theater sound to be balanced. Avoid sats & subs if you can. You'll be VERY glad you did.

You should audition ANY processor you buy IN YOUR HOME, and verfy it has a sound you like for music AND a high quality phono stage. Otherwise, you're looking at an outboard phono stage (which could cost as much as the processor)

4. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Thanks!

Good advice!
    Anyone else? Anyone got two separate systems?
    Thanks!
    N

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I have two separate systems and that works better for me. I've stayed in budget by having a very basic HT set-up that still meets my a/v needs (Onkyo 787, Polk 1000, Polk CS245, Polk 600, Sony Tube, 3 VCR's, DVD). I've found the TV to be a real magnet for others, so I dig having my stereo away from the tube.

I did what you are contemplating, I stripped my Rega P25 & Rega Planet 2000 from the combo system and built a stereo system w/ those sources.

Tough challenge,
    Jeffrey

6. vex

vex New Member

Yes, stereo/home theater/multi-channel can all coexist. The only argument against having a combined system I've ever heard that makes any sense to me is that all that extra "stuff" in the room is going to affect the acoustics of the room. I'm not sure how big a deal this really is, but its probably more psychological than anything. Some guys can simply not get past the notion of having a television smack in the middle of their sound system, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, if you don't have that mental barrier (I don't) then I say go for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.