Cancelled TV shows you think could still produce fresh episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Cubby, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, I think they had too fit too many McFarland shows in and that just squeezed KOTH out. I'm surprised it hasn't been revived on a cable network. There must be a core audience out there, it still runs everywhere in syndication.

2. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I like your WKRP in Cincinnati idea. It is a good idea for a storyline for a revival of the series. I could see Andy coming back to save the station. Hopefully some of the originals would also come back.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. shoestring

shoestring Well-Known Member

Well, right after it got cancelled, Mike Judge had his new series the Goode Family but that got cancelled after a season.....then he went back to reviving Beavis & Butthead, which seems to be his main project. He's mentioned in interviews he's open to bringing back KOTH down the road, so who knows? Curious who they'd get to voice Luanne....

4. shoestring

I'd love to see Freaks & Geeks come back, perhaps with a new younger cast (and the original ones now as parents?) but part of me feels it's a too-little, too-late thing. Wish that show had gotten one more season, they could have winded it down properly.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Rubicon sure didn't come to an acceptable conclusion. Men of a Certain Age was enjoyable as well.

6. Spaghettiows

Perhaps now is the time for Sixtysomething. :hide:

7. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

John from Cincinnati

8. Nonhuman

Nonhuman Forum Resident

"That 80's Show".

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The complete King of the Hill series was on Netflix streaming a while back (since been pulled), and we watched up to I think season six or seven before it got kind of unfunny from being formulaic and repetitive. Still, it was damn funny up to that point, but I think it had a good run. Thirteen seasons in all. Better than running it completely into the ground like certain other animated sitcoms, ahem.

wayne66 likes this.
  10. Spaghettiows

11. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Parenthood, although it hasn't been cancelled I read where the upcoming season will be it's last. :sigh:

12. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I believe Mike Judge said that if King of the Hill was ever brought back that Luanne would not come back. He would not want to have anybody else do her voice. Of course, he could change his mind.

13. shoestring

Presuming you mean that series with the yellow family on FOX :) It's all up to the creator - in that show's case, Groening has defended every season (not surprised) and claims they keep coming up with new and interesting plots (they don't).

14. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Jonny Quest - With the first year writers and animation. The best boys cartoon ever.

15. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

But unfortunately, the revived Beavis & Butt-Head also fits this category. All the reviews were fantastic, with many saying the new season was even better than the '90s episodes, but MTV seemed to want nothing to do with it. They burned through all the episodes very fast, sometimes running three a night, and then never re-ran them again (though they did turn up on Comedy Central once). Since then there's been no word about any future episodes except that MTV doesn't want it, but I doubt they'll ever let another network have it either.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Taxi.

Bring 'em all back. Old codgers still driving cabs. Make Louie DePalma an even bigger degenerate than before.

Hire Borat to play Latka's son and fill his shoes as head mechanic.

Sit back and watch the Emmy's roll in.

17. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I agree with Matt rather than you (and from what I read here many Simpsons viewers) on this. I think every year has been better than the last, and not one season goes by without a few "I can't believe they got away with that!" moments for me.

18. shoestring

We can agree to disagree. Personally, I feel that the quality has gone down, and the amount of dated references and quick celebrity cameos has gone up. In the future, people will see the first 10 seasons as great comedy.....not so much for what came after.

19. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

The Simpsons season's 1-8 are where it's at!

20. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I remember reading that the ratings were pretty good, too. However, it was mainly old guys like me who were fans during the original run in the '90s. ( Not the teenage girl demographic that MTV wants.) I agree that Comedy Central (or Adult Swim) would be a good place for the show in the future.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

The worst thing about what was done to Firefly was that the executives didn't even learn from it! The same thing later happened to Dollhouse. Once again, Whedon had a long-term TV show cut horrendously short and kinda rushed. Would Dollhouse have remained interesting if the overall arc was built up to over a few series rather than half a series? Who knows, but I'd have liked to see what ideas he had. The way US TV works is pretty depressing; it's pretty rare for a UK drama or comedy to be cancelled and even when they are, it's usually nowhere near as abrupt. Perhaps the US TV model is geared towards green-lighting more shows than they need and then cancelling the worst performers, rather than taking more care over the green-lighting to begin with?

After The Avengers I doubt it would ever happen to a TV show of his again. :D

eddiel and 93curr like this.
  22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Frasier

Even though it had a great, long run for a sitcom, I felt every episode was fresh, funny and entertaining that kept me laughing.

(Same could be said about Cheers, but Ted Danson didn't want to do it any longer, and without him, what's the point?)

AlanDistro likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

At the very least convert all the 90's episodes to widescreen HD and shown on TV.

24. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Was Frasier shot protected for 16:9? Seinfeld wasn't.

25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I consider WKRP in Cincinnati to be the best TV show ever. And it certainly was killed off well before its time. I'd love to see a reboot, as long as they avoid everything that went wrong with The New WKRP in Cincinnati , which is basically everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.