Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Apr 11 Release Date? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Speaking of Volume 3, I noticed on the Amazon forum for Vol.2 that someone asked Bruce Spizer about a Volume 3 line up. He said that it wasn't on the schedule and that it's contents had not been finalized. I assume that you can't finalize something unless you are working on it in some fashion.

2. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Also, why would they bother releasing them in mono if they just used the stereo mix folded down? Would that really be worth the effort on their part? They are only releasing the mono for people like us who know the difference, so I doubt they would cheat us since they know that we do know our Beatle mixes :)

3. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Well I hope they dont charge $60.00 just to release Yesterday & Today :)

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Actually, in this case the answer is no. If you're in the radio business, you know that remark is off-base. You would know that advanced copies, promo copies and even early stock copies are sent out simultaneously to many different radio programmers and directors. Not to single out Wollensack, but usually a DJ doesn't get the advanced copy...but his/her boss would. And how is it, that no one I know; including radio producers, EMI employees and even a few friends in the biz have received this yet?

It's simply incomprehensible that Jensen would have created mono fold downs from a stereo source....for ANY reason. Remember, the tapes he used were the original US Masters.... he wasn't (and dare i say would never) create new mixes for THIS set. If he did, it would be an out-an-out lie to the public...and Spizer would HAVE to be complicit in all this if it was true. His own damn webpage discusses the mixes used....and there was a recent addendum to notate (he previously said all mono mixes for RS were first time on CD) that some mono mixes were available on the EP set....I'm telling you, whatever Wollesack has in his possession it's NOT the version we'll be hearing soon. Ron

5. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

I also noticed the "first time on cd" statement for a few of the mono mixes, but that actually wasnt correct because they were available in the EP box set on EP's like "Yesterday" and "Nowhere Man".

6. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Then he's contradicting himself!

On Amazon he states

I guess patience is a virtue!

Anyway wasn't "Penny Lane" wrong when it was first released to radio!

7. brainwashed

WAIT A SECOND!!!! You can simply CALL Spizer? And he has to INVESTIGATE the matter? Are you telling me that you have received this set and Spizer hasn't even heard it yet???? Is it even remotely possible he wrote the liner notes without actually hearing the set??? Believe me, he'd know if new mixes were created....or if the mono RS tapes weren't used. This is getting more far out every post.

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Not to be disrespectful, but perhaps your answer is in your question. "...no one I know." Is it your contention that it is impossible for anyone else to have this early? (For crying out loud, the thing is due for PUBLIC RELEASE IN GERMANY IN ABOUT AN HOUR - MARCH 31st.)

Personally, I hope NOT. If the proper contacts can be made, perhaps this can be corrected before more fans are disappointed.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Doesn't read like a contradiction to me. Both sentences say there was no echo.

10. brainwashed

EXACTLY, that's the addendum I mentioned on the revised webpage. It now correctly shows which mono mixes previously appeared on the EP Box Set....including the other tracks this pertains to, not just the RS songs.

11. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hey I'm getting carried away again!

I misread the "wouldnt".

But you guys must really use apostrophes!!!!

It helps us poor Brits. :)

Come on guys... 1500 posts isn't that far away!

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

It wasn't wrong. It was the way they originally wanted it to be. After it was sent out, the Beatles decided to take out the horn passage at the end.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

According to the posts a couple dozen pages ago, the mono Help! tracks are fold-downs. I'm a cynic, but I suspect one reason that these albums feature both the mono and stereo mixes on one CD is that Capitol suits would be embarassed to sell a $60 box set with four 25-minute long CDs in it. We've discussed this in other threads, but many modern consumers perceive a 70 minute long CD as having more value than a 45 minute CD, much less a 25-minute long Capitol-era Beatles slice'n'dice album.

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

yeah, it is! Sure, why couldn't he write the liner notes without hearing the actual released product? It must happen many many times :confused:

15. brainwashed

Except I'm in the business too....and I know people within the business. How is it ONLY Wollensack has received this...and how do you know what he has is the same version that will be released? Germany does release CDs on Fridays...but until today, it was NOT on their release schedule for 31 March. Can any of our German members verify that the Capitol Years Vol 2 is being released Friday???

WHAT can be corrected??? IF this set contains ONE song not from the original US masters....the integrity of Jensen and Spizer will forever be tarnished....What could possibly be done to correct this????

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I strongly doubt that the liner notes dig very deeply into the mono/stereo/duophonic arcana that provides so many hours of entertainment on this forum. :D

17. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Is there a chance that he received the German or Europe version of the set and they didnt have true mono mixes when the lp's were released? Uh...nevermind that...but it was worth a try :angel:

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

19. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Also, if Bruce revised his statement about some of the mono mixes now being also available on the EP's, doesnt that tell you right there that they ARE the correct mono mixes? At least they are on the EP's!

20. jacden

jacden Senior Member

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm just a lowly Traffic Manager, but I've asked our Music Director, who tells me that she's received nothing from Capitol on this, and yet marvelled at Wollensack's ability to have gotten what he's gotten. Her guess was that we'd get the sampler discs perhaps next Friday...

If the powers that be decide to pull this release because of some giant mistake - inconceivable, I know - but stranger things have happened - then perhaps the proper mono masters can be found and used, creating a huge delay.

I recall a couple of years ago, a long-awaited DVD title, Steven Spielberg's DUEL was due out within a week. At the last second it was pulled, yet sources like Amazon sent out the copies they had (I know, because I got one!). It was about a year until the title was actually and officially released.

If there's any kind of logical explanation for the way these have been done (fold-downs), then a recall might not be in order, nor priactical - but explanations sure would be expected, if this thread is any indication.

22. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Is there not a sampler disc?

Has that got any "Rubber Soul" tracks on it?

Someone must have that by now.

(Harry I see you might get your hands on one next week!)

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

I wonder if this is why the release is delayed? They caught the problem and corrected it?

Not a good situation, not good at all...

25. brainwashed

I told y'all that that this wasn't on the German release schedule for 31 March....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.