Captain America - Civil War coming in 2016 to include Iron Man, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Falcon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Robert Downey Jr was on David Letterman last night and confirmed that he will play Iron Man in the 2016 Cap movie Civil War. Apparently it will introduce Black Panther and include the Scarlet Witch and the Falcon.

Downey stated that they were casting for Spider-Man to appear in the movie. I'm not sure if he was serious but it would be interesting to see if they actually do introduce Spider-Man in a Marvel/Disney movie, or perhaps it's a Marvel/Disney/Sony production?

Here's a link that mentions it:

http://www.blastr.com/2015-4-23/another-avenger-confirms-return-captain-america-civil-war

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

It's not a co-production with Sony. Spider-Man appearing is part of the deal that Marvel struck with Sony to get Spider-Man into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. After his appearance in Captain America - Civil War Marvel will produce the next Spider-Man film for Sony.

3. Veech

So the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't include the 20th Century Fox movies? Sounds complicated..

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It's no worse than there being multiple Earths in the Marvel (and DC) universes to explain how they can have different versions of the same characters in existence at the same time. The X-Men movies take place on "Earth-M", which has mutants, and the rest take place somewhere else, which doesn't have mutants. Spider-Man is also off his own universe, but that's going to cross over soon.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The deals were made a long time ago. Basically, Universal owns the Submariner; Fox owns the Fantastic Four, X-men, Wolverine, and related mutants; Sony Pictures owns Spiderman; and Disney/Marvel owns everything else.

[​IMG]

I think all the studios are having to grudgingly acknowledge that Disney/Marvel makes more money than anybody and seems to have a better handle on writing and producing these superhero films. I think the future project where Sony is "leasing" the Spiderman character for an appearance in a forthcoming Marvel movie is an interesting experiment, and through that, I would bet other characters could eventually follow in some kind of shared-profit deal.

wayneklein, Simon A and Veech like this.
  6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'd bet the farm they are lining up to do just that. Marvel is on a roll, while the efforts of the other studios have been less satisfying, with the last two X-Men films excepted.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I heard they might make another Blade , movie?
    I'm on board.

8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

So far Fox have been totally unwilling to play ball with Marvel with regards to them getting any of there characters back, permanently or on loan, which has angered Marvel to the point where they are now killing off characters in the comics that Fox own the movie rights too. Although in the comic world nobody stays dead forever!

9. Veech

But didn't Fox allow Marvel to use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

See the chart Vidiot posted above, the rights to those characters are shared by both studios.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It has been pointed out elsewhere that if Disney were to hypothetically get back every single character under Marvel's banner, the ability of a single studio to keep pumping out the volume of movies that three can right now would be significantly reduced.

Not sure how accurate that is, especially since Disney's such a juggernaut, but...

12. davenav

But, that's a good thing, surely?

I'm constantly amazed at the depth of Marvel's bench. The deal with Sony could be instructive to these other studios. Marvel oversees it, content-wise, but it's still a Sony picture, and they will profit immeasurably because of the liaison.

There's so many solid characters, such an embarrassment of riches, that the various studios can all benefit while Marvel retains crucial artistic control over their universe.

I don't see any losers in this scenario.

supermd and Voodoo Child like this.
  13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The suits are going to have to decide if keeping one another at arm's length is worth the lost revenue they could making by working together.

The only losers I see in the scenario are moviegoers. I'm a huge fan of comics, but I will admit to becoming a bit burned-out on the genre. With plans for superhero movies in effect for the next decade and beyond, I see a real probability of ridiculous over-saturation much sooner than later.

I'm sure they're only thinking of profit, but it would be a better idea, IMHO, for Marvel to pace themselves with their release schedule. It's insane!

kippy likes this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Then there's the "What If..." universe. Man, I used to love those

[​IMG]

15. davenav

I think the box office for the MCU movies justifies the very ambitious schedule. This is a fan's dream.

CoryS likes this.
  16. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Not to mention the current crop of box-office proven cast wont be in their prime for the roles they are cast indefinitely.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Less superhero movies is not such a good thing, which would theoretically be the case if Marvel were able to recover the movie rights to all their characters. The idea was that would result in now all the Marvel movies being Disney movies, and the current volume of films would not be sustainable even with a company like Disney backing it.

Now the game has changed, with the Sony deal allowing the other studios to back the films while still giving Marvel creative control and allowing crossovers such as Spiderman in the Avengers.

There are still limits, of course, such as film budgets not permitting the stars that play ALL these heroes in one place, but that's what happens when art's a commodity.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

These films are getting boring now. Here comes the threat, we can pull together and destroy it! Yawn.

audiomixer and ssmith3046 like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Over saturation, indeed. I feel bad for these actors who got roped into these rolls. Of course, a paycheck is a paycheck, but I bet they got screwed not knowing how many of these freaking movies were going to be made. I've reached burn out. I faithful rushed to see all the big superhero movies until now, but this latest? It can wait. Another baddie and another city-crushing fight. Ho-hum.

20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

This is part of why I enjoyed the first Thor movie. It was set in another realm, and the fight on Earth was relegated to a desert backwater. Depicting the destruction of NYC (and other cities) has reached the saturation point for me.

Purple Jim likes this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too. I'm saturated with Hulk and Tony Stark too. I'll see this but I'm not raring to go.

22. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The best superhero films made was the Batman trilogy. But Marvel certainly has quantity going for them.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The more the better.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too! great series...

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the heads up! can't get enough of this superhero stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.