Captain America - Civil War coming in 2016 to include Iron Man, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Falcon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

"Captain America: Well, Let's Define Our Terms, Gentleman ... Are We Talking About Redistricting Or Are We Talking About Reapportionment?"

--Geoff

wavethatflag and vince like this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Where's that "wrist-slashing" emoticon...

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think they kinda established his existence in "Ant-Man," if I recall correctly.

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I too watch The Simpsons. :D

I thought Captain America: Civil War was pretty good. Funny how I find Daredevil on Netflix more riveting though. The real action is on "TV" these days.

Also, Robert Downey, Jr. remains a way too talented actor for Marvel movies. They are lucky to still have him as Iron Man. Well, it's not all luck--they drive the money truck up to his doorstep every few years.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Wha,wa,wa.... HE'S NOT MADE OF STONE!!"

6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Apparently that is the correct physics, but here is the real interesting physics bit. Ant-mans ability keeps him at the same mass, but the molecules go closer together. That is why he is still strong when tiny. But if you blow him up, he would still weigh 150 lbs and float away like a Macy's balloon. The same for the toy train in Ant-Man.

Purple Jim and davenav like this.
  7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think that longer Spidey intro will allow them to not have to cover very much when they launch the stand-alone Spidey film. They basically got the the "origin story" out of the way in that sequence, so they can quickly recap and then move into the meat of the film.

But still, I think that entire part felt shoe-horned because it was...the script was done for Civil War when the rights to Spider-Man fell into their laps, so Marvel had them insert it into Civil War. I understand the corporate synergy aspect, but it's damn depressing because I thought the story of Civil War was one of the best and didn't need any outside intervention.

8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The Russo brothers in interviews have said they built Spidey in and were relieved when the rights cleared. I am not sure how it went down.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'll be seeing this on Sunday along with X-Men Apocolpyse.
    Which should I view first ?

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

There's some rumbling that X-Men may not be all it's cracked up to be. I'd watch that first and then if you're disappointed, then you have Civil War to boost you afterwards. :D

vince and alexpop like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Even without the "rumbling", I would've bet that Cap would be better than the new X-Men.

Just not a big fan of Singer's take on the X-Men. I loved "First Class" but haven't been especially excited about any of Singer's X-flicks...

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I agree... it's too bad Matthew Vaughn didn't continue directing....

13. Oatsdad

I can't recall what happened there - not sure if Vaughn bowed out on his own or if Singer pushed him out.

I think it's the latter, but I might be wrong...

wayneklein likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

16. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Has it hit 1B yet?

18. Oatsdad

"Worldwide: $981,945,889 "

19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Looks like it will never make it to a billion, bummer I enjoyed it and hoped it would be a hit. Oh well...

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It helped that the last Sony Pictures Spiderman film was "disappointing," and also that producer Amy Pascal was fired from her job as the head of the studio. She picked up the phone and negotiated the deal with Disney to bring Spiderman in for a trial run as a "guest star" in Captain America, with Sony getting a hefty fee. I think Sony figured, "if we can't find a way to make money with Spiderman, then we'll let Disney do it and give us a percentage of the deal."

BTW, note that Captain America: Civil War is poised to hit one BILLION dollars worldwide this week, making it the biggest film of the year (so far):

'Captain America: Civil War' Set to Pass $1 Billion Worldwide on Friday »

You know the guys at WB's DC superhero film division are going nuts about this.

Oh, that's such B.S. You want bludgeoning, try to sit through Batman vs. Superman again. Now that's bludgeoning.

21. Dr. Pepper

Yes, but they sure got lucky and dodged a bullet with BVS making as much money as it did. I think they should look at Civil War and learn from it. Just as Spider-man is seen by many as the best part of Civil War, so too could Flash recast as the actor from the TV show with his lighter take on the Scarlet Speedster be seen as the best part of the overly grim DCU in film.

22. shokhead

Bet it does after this weekend.

23. Dr. Pepper

Just kidding, of course it will! I'm just messing with you folks!

Ha, made you look! Man, I have one sophisticated wit... or not.

PH416156, Purple Jim and Vidiot like this.
  24. shokhead

:laugh:

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the problem is when you spend $250M on a film (plus $150M on marketing), then you wind up counting on making at least $1 billion. When you come up $150M short from that, it's a big problem. Batman vs. Superman was not a bomb by any means, but a "disappointment" has a lot of definitions; in this case, it's made a profit, but not much of one.

They're predicting in the trades today that Captain America will make $1.3B by the end of its run, and that's more like the numbers WB expects for its own superhero franchises. Their execs have given interviews this week saying that they plan to release as many as 3 or 4 comic book movies a year for the next five years, which is potentially risky. Not all of them will cost $200M+, but I bet some will.

Juan Matus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.