Captain Beefheart Safe As Milk from the MONO master on Sundazed!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laservampire, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Why that must be the Captain !

[​IMG]

That danged gypsy mutant with a skirt ! Festoonin' around the campground.....

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

HIGHLY!!!!! anticipated. :goodie:

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The perfect back-to-school gift for your hipster college student. "Electricity" should go over well in the dorms.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I can finally put the bumper sticker on my car. My original has stayed in the LP sleeve all these years.

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Wish they would drop a date already.... I can't handle the suspense! :sweating:

6. danner

danner Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I saw a date somewhere on Sundazed's Facebook page. I think it's some time in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Mr. H likes this.
  9. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The only mix they are reissuing is the mono. Sundazed has no need to reissue the widely available stereo mix. Go to their facebook page and you will find all the info you need as it's been the subject on their facebook page for quite some time:

https://www.facebook.com/sundazed

11. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I could see Hipsters buying the album for Yellow Brick Road and getting shocked that it wasn't some lost twee-pop album from the 60s.

I think people could put up with "Electricity".

Now "Flash Gordon's Ape" would really test their patience.

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

13. danner

danner Forum Resident

Nah. I've run into quite a few 20-something hipsters who are well aware of Beefheart. I come across far more Beefheart fans my age than I do Zappa fans.

RocketUSA likes this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Except for the fact the correct stereo mix is "widely available" only on the poorly-mastered Buddha disc. It's amazing that with all the releases of the stereo mix of this album, no one has ever gotten it right. A high-quality Sundazed remaster would be welcome.

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I don't have Amazon prime and never spend over the price mark to get free shipping as I only buy one CD most of the time. Maybe with the next Seeds reissue I may try this to get both with free shipping.

17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

By poorly mastered Buddha disc, are you referring to the 1999 Buddha/Sony reissue with the bonus tracks?

18. onionmaster

I'm 22 and have liked Beefheart since I was 13, and never considered that it might be hip to like him. I just liked the music.

Many artists have cited Beefheart as influence , but I haven't heard many cite Zappa.

I do like Zappa, but he's actually not that easy to get into, especially if you expect him to be like Beefheart. He's sort of more and less conventional at the same time. His sense of humor is also an acquired taste.

Allan and Mr. H like this.
  19. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I bought my first Beefheart cassette tape in 1990 titled Abba Zaba. So I had Beef in my heart before you were born.:laugh:

20. onionmaster

Yeah, you may well have done (I was born in September of that year).

Kind of a moot point though, it's not like I could choose when to be born.

I do think though, it's nice to have spent my formative years discovering music through the internet, instead of being limited to what stores around me had.

21. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Hey, I didn't post what I said as a putdown. If it sounded that way I'm sorry. I was just reflecting on my age and the time difference between your age and our introduction to the Captain's music. Yeah, you're right. You can't choose when to be born but you can listen to anything you want prior to and after that time. Back in 1989 when I first saw the name Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk in my Storm Thorgerson book "Classic Album Covers of the 60's", I went on a pursuit to find out more about this outfit. I went to the public library of all places and looked at old discography/biography books like "Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia" and other offbeat books from the 70's and up. I remember one of the books talked in fairly good detail about the Safe as Milk and earlier A&M material. There was a notation in the text that said "People don't listen to Captain Beefheart's music because they like it, they just listen to it to be cool" or something to that effect. When I found the Abba Zaba cassette a year later and saw the Captain's face on the cover and saw the other song titles I didn't read about I was excited to say the least. When I listened to the tape that had both tracks from Safe as Milk and Mirror Man I felt like I had come onto something cosmic. The most weird demented music I heard to date. Thinking back on that quote I said to myself I like this music for it's strange sounds. Whether that's cool or not, I don't care. I listened to Devo back in the early 1980's so I could relate to Beefheart's music. Since the internet started this music which you could only read information about in old library books and microfilm was now brought out into the web so there are these underground artists that were no longer underground. You're lucky to have grown up during the internet age to get even more info at your fingertips than I had about Beefheart back when I discovered him and other artists that I had to dig around in the library to get. You started on Beefheart's music at an earlier age then I did.:thumbsup: BTW, I like your avatar.

Chris M and Mr. H like this.
  22. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Just found this thread thanks to the recent bumps.

Glad I did. I'll be buying this. It reads like a really wonderful effort by Sundazed.

I also agree with those above that it would be wonderful to have a premium-mastered (dare I request Hi Rez?) stereo release of the correct mix.

ccm

Platterpus likes this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's the one. Compressed and distortiony in places.

24. onionmaster

Thanks.

When he was younger, my dad had a roommate who listened to Beefheart, Devo, and other things. Tropical Hot Dog Night was a song they listened to a lot, so years later he got a copy of Shiny Beast on CD (Original UK Virgin copy). I started with this, then got my own copy of Trout Mask, later on, which quickly sank in thanks to my love of the randomness of it all, then it sort of melted down into beautiful music once i understood it. I later discovered all the other albums.

My music tastes are quite heavy on 1950s calypso these days...and many of those who I talk to about it grew up with it. They are pretty elderly by now, and I feel like I'm helping carry the torch. The music itself has easily stood the test of time better than most other 50s music, the lyrics often being bawdy, hilarious and/or politically relevant, the tunes being catchy and upbeat, and the production being live and uncompressed sounding.

Incidentally, the trombone on Shiny Beast was a catalyst for getting me into calypso, so there we go.

25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I've never heard the original vinyl to compare. My first SAM CD was the 1992 Kama Sutra/Unidisc CD from Canada which sounds almost mono to me. I bought it in early 1993 and that was my first impression of what the album sounded like as a whole since I only heard my Abba Zaba and At His Best cassettes which sounded even different than my Unidisc CD and were budget bin type cassettes. I remember when the 1999 issue came out and passed on it since I thought it would not be any different than what I had already. Then I found a used copy on ebay around 2007 and saw the difference in the mix. I've heard other people say they didn't like the 1999 CD as well so that's why I was asking. I myself don't mind it, but that's me. I have to admit that the bonus tracks on the SAM and MM sound better on my Sequel CD, I May Be Hungry... If another issue comes out to top the 1999 stereo issue I would probably buy it. Like you said in your post above, If Sundazed put out a stereo CD I would buy it too. I've never had a bad sounding CD from that label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.