Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I'd love to see an FF reboot where the origin story is told in a Prologue before credits OR as the opening credits role (ala' Spider-Man 2)

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I was glad the Skrulls weren't just MCU space Orcs or Imperial Storm Troopers to be battle-mauled by the dozens and killed by the hundreds by the superhero with nary a moment's pause or effort. Their revised status makes the space opera a bit more complicated.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  3. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

If the fantastic four is the red headed step child, why does it need another reboot? Why not drop them and move on?
    (Honest question. Not trying to be smart. I never really read the comics.)

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’d like the FF to appear fully formed in another Marvel movie for a brief scene or two, then spin off to their own movie afterwards. No need for an origin story - they’re primarily scientists - no Doom, and no Galactus. Send them off on an adventure.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The FF is what started Marvel in the 60's, the comic that kicked off that era. They have always been core and central to the company profile until recently where they seemed to have been left behind and their comic was cancelled at one point (which would have been unthinkable a decade earlier). Arguably Lee and Kirbys best work was in the FF and the first 100 issues are iconic, introducing Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther and the Inhumans in a few short years. John Byrne's run is also considered legendary.

The two really poor attempts so far at building a franchise failed so badly it really hit the comic itself, as they became pretty uncool and no-one new to comics was interested in them.

If they can make Thor work in this universe, or even the Guardians, then they can make the FF work. And the Incredibles, which is basically the FF, works already.

And it will be Phase 4 of the Marvel Universe, so why not Phase (Fantastic) Four!

I am not interested in another origin story and I don't think we need it.

I want them vanishing in the 1960's and re-appearing in present day from the Negative Zone or whatever place they have been with all powers in place.

6. Which is why a summation during the opening titles like The Incredible Hulk would work well or even ignoring it as per the latest Spider-Man (actually they did address some of it with dialog and that got it out of the way but two contemporary films are more than enough for Spidey) I think that Marvel is savvy enough to realize that, after two (four if you count the cartoon and unreleased Roger Corman film) folks already know how they acquired their powers.

Simon A and Spencer R like this.
  7. I think it would be hard for Marvel to take them back to the 60’s because, as was explained in CM, she was one of the earliest superheroes after Cap to be discovered unless you brought them over from an alternate universe and introduced them to the time like after CM but before the rest of the characters. They could introduce some dialog about them rejecting Fury’s offer because they were concerned about being an arm of the government, etc.

8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

There are some that theorize that Marvel Comics cancelled the FF comic exactly because they didn't own the movie rights and didn't want to publicize something owned cinematically by Fox, and that the word came down from on high. No idea how true that is. Doesn't match with the celebrated Matt Fraction comic run from like 2009-2013 of whenever.

I'd be very interested to see Doom done correctly, finally. They could even do crossovers with Black Panther, and have Victor Von Doom already ruling his fictional dictatorship of Latveria and having squabbles with Wakanda. I'd be also interested in seeing a Thing / Hulk fight onscreen.

On a side note, here is another one of those internet lists ranking all the Marvel movies from all studios. Some preposterous choices here, I disagree with much of it, though I think Captain Marvel is placed right where it should be
    at like #25.

All 55 Marvel Movies Ranked, Including 'Captain Marvel'

9. Chrome_Head

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I think Cumberbatch is great in the role. Something about the solo Strange film just rubbed me the wrong way. It's the only one I didn't go to see in the theater. I thought the effects were outstanding and trippy, but the whole thing was a bit to rote and formulaic to me.

Something about how the Russos make their movies, they really get the essence of the characters onscreen very efficiently, and Strange works better for me in that context somehow. I love how they do Spider-Man in their movies as well, much better than what we saw in Homecoming (which I liked).

10. DreadPikathulhu

The new FF series is pretty good so far, by far my favorite Marvel title at the moment. I tried to get into the Captain Marvel series but it just wasn’t that compelling - Ms. Marvel would be a far more interesting character to get into a movie. As a teen, she’d be great in the current Spider-Man series.

11. Chrome_Head

You couldn't pay me to read it, as I can't stand the writer Dan Slott (who's overlong run on Amazing Spider-Man the last ten years was beyond awful, IMO).

12. DreadPikathulhu

I liked the Superior Spider-Man title, though it went on too long. I haven’t read much of the main series as most of my interest has been with either Gwen or Miles.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

In the 60's they are scientists who are exposed to the radiation that gives them their powers. They kept this a secret at the time. They then travel to some kind of time frozen negative zone and re-appear in modern day. So you don't have to explain them being superheroes in the 1960's as no-one knew. Perhaps Tony Stark's dad knew, and maybe Hank Pym. They would have been aware of Reed and be aware he and the other three disappeared in the 1960's, to who knows where, maybe missing presumed dead after some experiment.

So it would all fit quite easily.

The other thing is of course is that the Infinity Gauntlet has a reality stone, and someone in End Game could easily alter reality attempting to fix things so the FF could just exist now where they didn't before. The same with Mutants.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

That's where Slott lost me, as he made Doc Ock this unstoppable Gary Stu character mind-swapped into the body of Peter Parker that no one can figure out. And he kept Gary Stu-ing Ock even after Superior.

His whole run went on way too long, he was nasty and combative to certain fans online and many of us were very relieved when he finally moved on from the title last June. New writer Nick Spencer's run has been great so far, really enjoying it.

Yep, that could all work. Apparently the dimension Ant Man is in at the end of his last movie may figure into Avengers: Endgame somehow. With the FF, you get stuff like the Negative Zone to play around with as well. Many ways to do it.

If Avengers: Infinity War gave non-comic readers their first taste of an event comic in movie form, then I wonder if the post-Endgame movie landscape will give people their first taste of a rebooted movie universe.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I would like to see an FF movie that DOESN'T go down the currently popular 'cosmic' story lines that dominate all tbeir major movies nowadays. The knee-jerk reaction to my statement would be to, correctly, argue that the FF are the OG's of the Marvel 'cosmic' community BUT....there was so much gold being mined by Lee & Kirby, "This Man...this Monster being a classic example. The FF's turf included time travel, Atlantis, miniature atomic solar systems, native-american a-lister, a major villain that was a monarch of his own country, a nanny who was a witch, and all the historic characters introduced within the pages of the FF. Heck, even their 1st meetings with Ant-man and Spiderman would be great up on the screen. Howzabout Johnny Storm finding Namor as a bum with amnesia, and the whole epic story that followed THAT! My point is that a change in the cinematic direction of the Marvel universe would not only be welcome, but easy! The stories/scripts are already written!;)

BobT and Chrome_Head like this.
  16. Chrome_Head

I still enjoy the story (I don't know how apocryphal it is) of how the movie execs were sitting in a meeting saying "how do we make these superhero movies, how do we crack them?" and Kevin Feige holds up a comic and says "Hey, why don't we do it LIKE THIS? It's already been done for us".

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Emily Blunt for sure, but who would play her brother ( cue Jack Nicholson..The Last Detail)?

18. alexpop

Anther trailer I seen with a pumped up soundtrack Hellboy(2019).

19. Chrome_Head

Great movie. I'm terrible at these casting things myself but luckily that has been the secret strength of these Marvel movies so far, for the most part. No idea who could play Johnny Storm. The Ben Grimm casting will be just as key.

Just get Chris Evans to reprise his role in the new FF as Johnny after Endgame. Don't even acknowledge it in the FF movie. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I think I would even enjoy it if they flipped the gender roles (Ms. Fantastic and the Invisible Man) only to give the internet hate bots something to go nuts about. LOL

Chris DeVoe and Chrome_Head like this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I feel the problem with incorporating the X-Men, aside from how many of them there are, is that it has been central to every previous X-Men movie that they are the only superheroes in the world, and people are afraid of them because of their superpowers. If there are other, more popular superheroes running around it rather undermines this idea. They reconcile it in the comic books somehow but I feel like prejudice against the super wouldn’t make sense in the MCU we have seen thus far.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There was some of that dichotomy in the comics, too. The Skrulls were introduced as sort of villains from central casting for the Fantastic Four, but they later developed a more nuanced backstory for them. The Kree were pretty dangerous and warlike, although there were also some sympathetic ones including Mar-Vell (original Captain Marvel). In the MCU, the Kree have been portrayed as dangerous/villainous in both the first "Guardians of the Galaxy" film and in recent seasons of Marvel's "Agents of SHIELD".

23. Chrome_Head

Yeah, there is that. But it's a chance for Marvel to double down on the racism analogies by having them be hated and feared for being mutations. How the average person in the MCU would tell the difference, I don't know.

It's going to be quite a feat for Marvel to find a new twist on the mutants that people haven't seen onscreen 15 times already.

Just as long as we get the Super Skrull in an FF movie down the line:

[​IMG]

vinnie likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yr hitting on something I thought to myself way back in the day. Didn't seem logical than, doesn't seem logical now.

25. alexpop

When’s Captain Marvel 2 out?

Lightworker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.