Car 54 - Original series coming to DVD early 2011

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DJ WILBUR, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

was anything mentioned on the the retail on the set?

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

what are you interested in knowing, i can easily inquire...

3. il pleut

il pleut New Member

they tended to do more episodes per season back then than they do now, but i was just being nit-picky for the sake of accuracy or something.

thank you for the wonderful news. please keep us posted if you hear anything else about this.

4. bencasey

bencasey New Member

The show is owned by NBC and I seriously doubt that they would sell it off like that. Anything is possible but I've not heard of the network selling a show outright like that before. Licensed it out maybe.

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Oo-Oo. Gotta get this one.

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Jumpin' Jehosephat!

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Yoooooo Hooooo, Francis....

8. DJ WILBUR

not sure what else i can to tell you...the reels to 60 episodes are in the process of being readied for release. I don't know the legalities of licensed vs. owning though, my language might be flawed in this..,

but they have all the crates of master film reels and they are being converted and tweaked for DVD release for a 2011 release...

as I said, the people making this happen are fans, I doubt this is bringing much "windfall" profits, seems as much a labor of love as an about time to me...

doubt all you want, but I know where the masters reels now are...and they are digitizing them now...it's happening whether you will need to read about it on TVSHOWSONDVD.com first, or you can just take my word for it now

....in 2011, these will be out on Shanachie...

9. Michael

Thanks, and I appreciate the heads up on this. I love this show as well...People will always find a way to bidch about anything instead of being appreciative of your kindness...

Ignore them dude.:)

10. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I enjoyed watching these episodes when they were featured on Nick at Nite years ago. I'll be picking this up. :righton:

11. Michael

I'm curious on the price range of this set...

so I can start saving my pennies now.:)

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I think there's an episode entitled "The Many Loves Of Sylvia Schausner". And, yes, her husband, was played by Al Lewis AKA Grandpa Munster.

13. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

It's possible they've licensed it, as NBC Universal has been doing with Shout! Factory and Timeless Video.

14. bencasey

bencasey New Member

If you have ever done business with NBC/Universal then you would know that they do not lend out their master film elements under any circumstances. All of their transfers have to be done in house.

15. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Well, maybe it's not UNI. TVshowsondvd.com lists Paramount Home Video as the DVD rights holders; which would make sense, as they own the Republic Pictures (formerly NTA) library, via their purchase of Spelling Entertainment. Republic did release a few episodes of Car 54 on VHS.

16. DJ WILBUR

Got some more information on the release schedule on this series release on Shanachie. Season One box will be released either January or February of 2011.

there will be some newly filmed interviews with a couple of cast members most likely conducted by Leonard Maltin included in the box and also the plan is to get those out in advance to help start the promotional rollout of these releases.

I've seen some test pressings of the DVD mastering and they look quite sharp and stunning...

Season Two will be out in the Fall of 2011 or the winter of 2012. that's the plans on it.

17. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

My favorite moment of "Car 54" was between Joe E. Ross (As Gunther) and a Wise-A-- Bird,owned by Gunther's boss..when Gunther said "I HATE CAPTAIN BLOCK! YOU HEAR ME? I HATE CAPTAIN BLOCK!" The bird then picks that moment to open up and repeat him! Oh,Lawd! Too funny!:laugh::righton:

18. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

Great news, this is a blind buy for me.
    Thanks for the update.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I havn't seen it since the late 80's on Nick At Nite. Can't wait to see it again as an adult.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Awesome! My favorite show ever! Thanks for the update.

21. DJ WILBUR

Also, i found out that Shanachie has in fact licensed this show, not bought it outright, sorry for the confusion on that part.

22. mr_mjb1960

I wonder why their affiliate RTN isn't jumping on this and scheduling this for their network,then? They should be all over it,what with the Future Herman Munster and his Grandpa's first roles together! As well as Joe E. Ross..Ooh,Ooh,I smell a hit!:righton:

23. DJ WILBUR

i snapped these at the Shanachie offices yesterday

Attached Files:

24. mr_mjb1960

WOW..all those prints going to waste..SHAME ON NBC!:shake:

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Great, now bring on Dennis The Menace!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.