Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Special

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rburly, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Moments like this were missing and should have been included. This is unscripted television at its funniest ....

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

After the show ended, there was a half-hour syndicated version called "Carol Burnett And Friends." As I recall though, it didn't include songs, just skits and "bump up the lights."

bartels76 likes this.
  4. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I don't know what I'm thinking of, then. This would have been '74-'76; I wasn't watching it at all later than that. Strange how one's memory works!

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Those are my entire experience of the Carol Burnett show... I never watched the actual episodes, even though I'm old enough to have watched at least the later seasons. So I've seen all the famous skits but never any of the musical numbers.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I DVR'd the special. I've skipped the parts where it slogs, but particularly after reading this thread it's overall better than I expected.

I think the comedians they brought together work well. A lot of people were influenced by her, it's her show so why not bring them together? Some of the clips could've been longer, but there was still a good range for the most part.

Personally a real documentary would've been much better and more informative, but as for the typical network tribute shows this was good...if a little long winded.

dan c

Vidiot likes this.
  7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

8. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I have all of the various collections from Guthy-Renker (now out of print) and Time/Life. If you're a Carol Burnett fanatic, the amalgamation of these sets give you almost every show produced. Time/Life even has a set which focuses on the first five seasons.

Currently available from Time-Life:

The Carol Burnett Show: The Lost Episodes Ultimate Collection - Time Life The First Five Years

The Best of The Carol Burnett Show | 50 Year Anniversary DVD Collection Deluxe Edition - Time Life Everything Else

Out of print but available on EBay etc:

Carol Burnett Show - Columbia House Video Guide The contents of the 31 (62 episodes) of the Columbia House/Guthy-Renker DVD's

The special last week paled by comparison to these collections....

MarkTheShark and Benno123 like this.
  9. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

It is still on in re-runs on one of those old TV show stations.
    Far better than seeing clips. A lot works, some is not so funny, but it keeps you interested oddly enough.

rburly likes this.
  10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9 Thread Starter

If you can find out what time it comes on, that would be great. Someone asked when the Joey Bishop show was on, and I found out that it's on from 8-9 am on Antenna TV.

11. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Carol burnett(and friends)

11:00 PM Weekdays "METV"

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    rburly likes this.
  12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. :)

Higlander likes this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Too bad we may never get the complete series.. too many hands out$$$$
    even some has passed away produced the show..
    They show do a complete series.. for the fans .

14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and bartels76 like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One final observation I'd make is that I thought it was sad that CBS didn't go to the trouble to try to make Carol look better than they did. I thought the makeup and lighting on her was terrible, and it wouldn't have been that much trouble to throw a little bit of "glamor" on her face for those close-ups. This kind of thing maybe takes 2 minutes per shot in post, so it's not that hard (or expensive) to do. As is, I think she looked even older than 84 on some of those angles.

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we didn't miss an episode when Carol was on every week....I do love her and I'll take anything i can get on home video...fondly remember when Vicki Lawrence had her hit song playing constantly on AM radio back then...great times when TV comedy was fun and funny...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.