Carpenters- Singles 1969-1973 comes to SHM-SACD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Espen R, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wheels of Fire already hit SHM-SACD. It sounds powerful and one of the best versions for that double album.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The new SHM-SACD will have a 5.1 mix?

Bill

3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

No its only stereo.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I figured it would be. But in Espen R's post about the 2013 latest remastering it mentions 5.1. So that is why I asked as it would be great if future SHM-SACDs offered 5.1 mixes with future releases.

Bill

therockman likes this.
  5. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

The new SHM-SACD will have a 5.1 mix, according to the Universal Japan's press info. It is probably an arrangement necessary to get Richard on board. :)

:wave:

6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Wow. That's a first for SHM-SACD, right?

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Anselm,

Thanks for that information :). If this becomes a trend for SHM-SACDs I think more will be sold. I know I'll definitely consider buying more.

Bill

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

When was the turning point for SHM?

A few years ago SHM Cds were HATED among audiophiles. It was even said that SHM was "Super hot mastering"

And now everyone seems crazy about them?

9. pscreed

SHM-CD != SHM-SACD

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

SHM-SACD = SACD with an inflated price tag.

Pupalei likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You left this part out:

warp2600 and Tex_Writer like this.
  12. pscreed

I guess that's a matter of opinion. I own all the pop/rock SHM-SACDs so far (except ONJ). I like a lot of them. I'll continue to buy them as long as that's true. Its only money.

My remark was meant to illustrate that every time we have a discussion about SHM-SACD, someone gets confused and brings up SHM-CDs. It is a different format. That's all I was saying.

So anyway, which SHM-SACDs do you feel haven't lived up to expectations?

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yowza. That is sweet.

14. pscreed

I like to see them all lined up. Somebody said they changed the packaging going forward though... I kind of hope that isn't true :(

I'm a strong advocate of uniformity.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I know this is about the Carpenters but is nobody else excited that we finally get My Way and Friggin' In The Riggin" on SHM-SACD?

16. pscreed

You know I already ordered NMTB from CD Japan, but I'm having a really hard time rationalizing this one. Do you think it will really end up getting released? I wonder if they will pull the plug on this one... They have a few times in the past. I wonder if the sales will be there...

I hate to miss one.

17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I don't know the Carpenters stuff that well but I thought the original SACD sounded amazing in stereo and 5.1. I guess not knowing the originals was a good thing in my case.

HAmmer likes this.
  18. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

I'm very satisfied with my 2004 surround sacd it never ceases to impress :edthumbs:

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes. And I am also very satisfied with the $5 it cost me from BMG. That also never ceases to impress.

20. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

WOW you got a heck of a deal

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think of bunch of people here got them for around that price. When YourMusic was going under, they had a last chance sale where a few SACD titles were still available for $4.99 each, including this one...

ShawnMcCann, Jeff Minn and HAmmer like this.
  22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Different format and different beast altogether.

23. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I can crap better than kwadguy on this one. I ordered one copy from BMG for $5 and ended up receiving two copies in the package, along with other stuff I ordered.

Of course, it was mistake on their part and they told me to keep the extra copy, which was sold later for a very handsome profit. So the cost for me is like minus 70 dollars.

:wave:

ivan_wemple likes this.
  24. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Even better is the recent "WTB" ad in our very own classifieds for a copy of the Carpenters SACD - poster paid a forum member around $20, then immediately went to Ebay and sold it for $94 !!! Good detective work by some eagle-eyed forum member caught this. All traces of the sale, and the OP for that matter are totally gone from the forum now.

Bill Mac and Echo like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

John,

It was excllent detective work by fellow members for sure. It was a clear cut case of a fellow member taking advantage of another members kindness when he offered the Carpenters SACD for such a fair price. Hopefully that type of behavior got that forum member banned from the classifieds.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.