Carrie (1976) - the best 70s Teen Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Doctor, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My pick for best teenage film would be Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which is technically 1982. But writer Cameron Crowe wrote it about his experiences in the late 1970s.

American Graffiti is also a brilliant film in many ways, one of my all-time favorites.

Jack Lord, Dan C, Uther and 3 others like this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The X-Men predates Carrie.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The cruelty in Carrie shown to her is one of the best depictions of high school being the absolute hell that it is.

rockclassics, Vidiot and Dan C like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I had a few buckets of pig's blood dropped on my head in high school. (Don't remind me.)

5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

well no I of course didn't mean that part, that's as much part of high school life as someone ordering pizza in class! but the torment part was and is real for many; high school does not prepare one for life afterward; it just teaches people to get into cliques and to conform. High school was hell.

This is a great online quote:
    Specifically, Carrie is a horror tale where the true terror lies in the high school setting itself, rather than its protagonist's deadly psychic powers.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Let's not forget Carrie's fun home life. :eek:

7. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I'm kinda leaning towards The Fury and Phantasm here, although no doubt Over the Edge is the better film. As for Carrie, well I thought the novel gave Carrie White a darker side and additional depth, as well as more cause for her classmates to dislike her. It seemed more believable to me. I did my tour in high school like everybody else, and pretty blond girls weren't exactly bullying target material, even if they were a little drab.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I'm partial to "Jeremy" with Robby Benson and Glynnis O'Connor. Has a charming New Yawk vibe.
    [​IMG]

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

And I thought my H.S. was bad!

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That hand coming out of the ground scared the heck out of me when I was little. It still kind of bothers me. :eek:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

I saw this movie when it came out. I would have been in my early twenties at the time.

I remember that is was quiet toward the end of the movie when Sue (Amy Irving) was walking at the grave.

When those arms shot out and grabbed her, I must have jumped 6" out of the seat.

In all of the movies that I have ever seen, this is the only time that something happened that actually made me jump, and I guess that I was a bit older than you were, at the time.

Holy Diver likes this.
  12. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

The setup is so perfect, with the scene filmed in reverse to give it that dreamy/nightmarish feel.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

It worked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.