Carrie Fisher suffers heart attack on plane, dies at age 60*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I've never been a Star Wars fan. I grew up watching Carrie Fisher in Shampoo, Hannah and Her Sisters, Soapdish and The 'Burbs. It's so sad that she and her mum died within a day of each other. I can't even begin to imagine what Todd and Billie are going through right now.

R.I.P.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

My wife and I watched When Harry Met Sally Saturday evening (one of our New Year's traditions), and all those scenes with Marie were quite a bit sadder this year compared to years past.

R.I.P

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My guess is that you're right, but it'll require a big rewrite.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Is it even written yet?

Carrie would I'm sure be amused we're discussing this whole thing. And probably a bit fascinated, as a well-regarded script doctor. I'm sure she'd see this as an interesting challenge.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Star Wars IX is still in the process of being written, and I think the Young Han Solo origin movie is about to go into production for release in December 2018.

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Premieres Saturday (January 7) at 8 pm on HBO. Should be on demand on on HBO Go/HBO Now thereafter.

budwhite and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I just watched Wishful Drinking for the first time yesterday. One of the funniest and most honest things I've seen in a long long time. I momentarily forgot she was gone and said to myself ' wow,i hope she does a show based on the Princess Diarist ' . Of course,reality reinserted itself,and that won't happen now for obvious reasons. What a Dame! What a loss. :(

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Not a bad idea. Started a new thread:
    'Star Wars' Braintrust Plots Leia's Life After Carrie Fisher's Death »

MikaelaArsenault and marblesmike like this.
  9. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The picture of Carrie’s dog at the memorial service is sad. I think a lot of people forget about the effect a person’s death can have on their pet. Even though you can’t sit an animal down and explain to them what’s happened, they must feel sadness and fear at not seeing their owner. Carrie’s dog must miss her a lot, she took him everywhere. I think the poor guy was with her when she had her heart attack.

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I was sort of joking when I wrote this, but apparently a lot of people want Fisher to be remembered by having Disney make it official:

The Walt Disney Company: Make Leia an official Disney princess »
    [​IMG]

driverdrummer likes this.
  11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

14. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

A great read. It's sad how he described their meeting in 1984. What a memory to have, though.

MikaelaArsenault and MaggieMac like this.
  15. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

R.I.P. Never been big on Stars Wars but I have seen them. I strongly associate her with the films.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Has enough time passed now [without being disrespectful to Carrie's memory] on Disney's plans of how they're gonna deal with the remaining episodes?
    Is VIII gonna be reshot...........or are they gonna deal with it in IX?

17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I believe all her work was done on VIII. I presume they'll probably kill Leia (off-screen) early in IX.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that seems like the simplest way to take care of the issue.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It would be nice if they gave her a heroic death - sacrificing herself to save others. She, and her most iconic character, deserve no less.

neo123 likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But then they'd have to shoot new footage with CGI or something, no?

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Naaah, there's a million ways to do it offscreen. We could hear she's leaving on a trip and then the ship gets blow up or something.

Or she could just disappear, which might actually be a kinda interesting solution to the "problem"...

22. Chris DeVoe

They'd have a lot of opportunities short of making a digital double of her. We have no idea what has already been shot, what was shot and unused, etc. I would be OK if Princess Leah died - and we got another chance to see her again as a "Force ghost" like Ben and Yoda. They always implied that the Force was strong in her, but she never had an opportunity to really use it - other than giving birth to a whiny little Goth creep.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They don't have to kill her. Leia can just be off somewhere doing something else.

24. Chris DeVoe

Why not? She died, and it would be a disservice to both her and her fans to not acknowledge that. Give her a hero's send-off, and let it be a cathartic moment for all of her fans. This has the potential to be one of the greatest moments in the entire Star Wars saga. I look forward to be in a packed theater full of my fellow fans - all of us choked up, some of us in tears.

People who are a lot better writers than me are working on this problem, and I hope they do right by one of their own.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The actress died, not the character. Writing in an emotional death for Leia may be seen by some as exploitive.

David Campbell and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.