Cart Upgrade Suggestions from Ortofon and Dynavector

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would like to upgrade phono cartridge from my Ortofon 2M Black and Dynavector 20X2L.
    I love the tonality and transparency of the 2M black but it seems lacking in dynamics and speed.
    The Dynavector is the opposite- great dynamics but not nearly as transparent in the midrange.

A cart that was dynamic and had a transparent midrange would be perfect.

I have read some good things about-
    Dynavector 17D3 Karat
    Ortofon Cadenza Red
    Clearaudio Maestro v2

Comments on those or any other suggestions in that price range are greatly appreciated!

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I love the Dynavectors, but for more transparency (without giving up dynamics) you may want to check out the Lyra line.

3. The Hana SL is getting lots of good press as a very good value but I've not heard one. I've not heard the Red either but the Cadenza Bronze sounds very good on a friend's VPI Prime. The trouble with cartridges at that level is that I start to wonder about the preamp or the table or arm being suitable and then it's down the wormhole again! Buying cartridges must be about the most nerve wracking part of audio lol! Best of luck with your search!

4. avanti1960

Thanks. I am confident in my table, setup capability and preamp to do justice to ~ 1500 cart or so.
    You are right, it is nerve wracking because you can't audition them and the return policy on carts is like LPs- only if defective and for the same title!

Shoalcove likes this.
  5. avanti1960

thanks, hoping to not have to spend $2K or more.

6. IanL

IanL Senior Member

yeah, they get pricey quick. I've only heard the Etna, but it was pretty darn impressive. And transparency was an obvious strength. I would be sticking with an MC, to preserve the dynamics you like. Hard to go in the opposite direction once you are used to a nice wide range.

avanti1960 likes this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Dynavector 17D3 Karat
    -Bill

dconsmack and avanti1960 like this.
  8. avanti1960

Thanks. People seem to really like this one.

9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

What about an A/T? I'm running a OC9/MLII right now and really love it. I'm a former Ortofon 2m Bronze and Dynavector 20XL owner.

The ART9 seems to have lots of happy owners. Buy here and save a bundle- about $950 shipped. It's probably my next cartridge.

Audio Technica AT ART 9 Cartridge »

Rolltide and avanti1960 like this.
  10. avanti1960

Holy Schmokes people on AG are saying this thing sounds like a $5K cartridge!

Rolltide, Seafinch and HiFi Guy like this.
  11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I had the 2M Black and now I have two Cadenzas the blue and the black. There is no comparison really between the Cadenza line and the 2M line. The 2M catridges, including the black, are good entry level catridges. The Cadenzas on the other hand is where real hi fi starts. IMO.

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I absolutely love my Dynavector 17D3, for me it is the best cartridge I have ever had (Audio Technica OC9, Denon DL304, Linn Karma, Supex 900, Bluepoint Special). I don't know what I do when it packs in, because I definitely couldn't afford another one.

It's a great tracker, top end is excellent, it is good in the midband and bass is deep and taut, it just doesn't show up surface noise like the other cartridges I've had over the years and is probably the reason why I haven't had to return many LPs in the last couple of years.

JG

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. avanti1960

Have you heard the Cadenza red or the Quintet Black?
    I was all set to get the Quitet Black until they stopped shipping with the boron cantilever.

14. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Benz Ace

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I had the Quintet Black for two years until two months ago when I traded it in for the Cadenza Blue. The Quintet was a fine cartridge and I was very happy with it. It had a very smooth sound, which gave you all the details of the music without being edgy.
    I would say that the Cadenza Blue is more refined. With this I mean that the instruments sound more like they sound in real life, the saxes sound more reedy, the violins more woody, etc. With the Cadenza Blue I noticed also that there is more separation between the instruments and more depth.

I have not heard the Red, sorry but I am sure that it sounds nice, the Cadenza series is very well regarded.

avanti1960 likes this.
  16. I had a 2M Black on my Nottingham and now have a DV20x2L on my Oracle. I liked them both, but I want a change. I'm going to audition (if I can) some Soundsmith cartridges as I have a feeling they may have a midrange I like. My ears are very sensitive to higher freqs and that leaves out many MC cartridges.

17. James Glennon

Are you sure the brightness is all down to the cartridge? There are many factors which makes a system sound bright or hard.

JG

18. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I would have to disagree with you on this. I had a Dyna 20x for years and loved it, then I got a Soundsmith (Sotto Voce) I have since forgotten all about the Dyna. The Sotto Voce is absolutely what I was looking for, more inner detail and micro dynamics. I am very happy with it and will stay with it!!!

19. Yes, I'm quite sure it's a cartridge issue for me. I've had a variety of MM and MC cartridges, plus have heard many, and I seem to gravitate more towards upper end MM's.

smctigue and James Glennon like this.
  20. avanti1960

Are the reviews on AG too good to be true for the Audio Technica ART 9? At least 8 people bought them based on a few enthusiastic reports and everyone loves it.

HiFi Guy and Seafinch like this.
  21. James Glennon

0.5mV seems quite high to me for a moving coil. It definitely would be too high an output for my preamplifier.

When my Dynavector 17D3 packs up, I would definitely go back to a Denon DL304 low output moving coil. Not sure if it is still being made, although some websites have it for sale. Here's a review of it.

DENON DL-304 »

Available here...

Denon DL-304 phono cartridge 0.18mV »

JG

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  22. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

My experience with the OC-9/MLII- I like it better than the Dyna. Not everyone will agree with me- it had mixed reviews. I can say that 3 friends have one now and they all love it.

Everyone who has heard the ART9 loves it and those familiar with the OC9 say it's nowhere near as good as the ART9- nor should it be given the price difference.

It appears to me that the ART9 may be a sleeper bargain in MC cartridges.

Regarding @James Glennon 's recommendation- you'd better have a super silent phono stage with plenty of gain. I'd avoid anything with .18mV rated output.

23. James Glennon

The low output was never an issue for me and I am using a valve preamp, it meant I could crank the volume up, but I take your point on that, for me between 0.2-0.3mV is ideal. At 0.5mV I would have to have the volume quite low on my preamp! From what I gather the Denon DL304 isn't being made anymore, but it is still available. I never saw a bad review of it.

I upgraded from the Denon DL304 to the Dynavector 17D3 and I would say the Dynavector 17D3 gave me ''more of what I liked about the Denon''!:tiphat:

JG

HiFi Guy likes this.
  24. James Glennon

I loved everything about my Audio Technica OC9 but I did find it could be a bit strident on certain LPs.

JG

25. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I'm wondering the same thing! I'll wait for you to get yours and report back, deal?

HiFi Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.