Cartridge Geometry for Stock SL-1200mk2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clucking, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life Thread Starter

Hey Folks, My local record shop will do the setup for me, and since I want to make sure it's done right, I'd like to have professionals do it. $30 seems like money well spent since I'd easily spend an hour doing it and my time is worth more than that. SO, they said the setup geometry they can do are the following (and I'm asking you which would work best for a stock SL-1200mk2)

Loefgren A/Baerwald IEC
    Loefgren A/ Baerwald DIN
    Loefgren B IEC
    Loefgren B DIN
    UNI-DIN

Also, haven't decided yet but looking at the Sumiko Blue Point 2 and Dynavector 10x5 - I welcome opinions.
    Thanks!

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pretty sure that the standard SL1200mkII and OEM headshell using the included overhang gauge is designed for Stevenson alignment.

I've read that to use any other alignment would require a different headshell with longer slots to get the distance and offset to whatever you are setting to.

BayouTiger, Clucking and russk like this.
  3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Here is an idea - save the 30.00 alignment fee - and buy a KAB Ortofon ProS 30. No alignment necessary - slap it on and set the VTA/VTF. It is probably my second favorite cart with the 10X5 chasing 3rd.

bluemooze, BrentB, vinylvin and 2 others like this.
  4. Clucking

Would I benefit from slightly upgrading the headshell to be able to execute a different alignment? (I could feel ok plopping down fiddy bucks for a new headshell, not sure I'd want to go much higher than that)

Or, should i email the shop back and ask if they can do the Stevenson and keep it simple?

5. Erik Tracy

Or buy the Technics OEM overhang gauge from KAB USA for $4.95 and have a go at setting it.

I did my Denon DL-160 this way on my stock 1200mkII, and if I can do it, anyone can do it.

bluemooze, JohnO, BayouTiger and 3 others like this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Exactly and use the OEM headshell - or perhaps Ortofon HS. The cart I recommended above- doesn't need one - save even more $$.

Clucking likes this.
  7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It is MM. But the High Output MC 10X5 doesn't seem at all that much different than the Ortofon. I prefer it - but it is extremely close.

Clucking likes this.
  8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Technics demo new SL1200G Ortofon with 2M pnp ( plug & play ) built in headshell & fitted in seconds or if you want to go moving coil fit a SPU

bluemooze and Clucking like this.
  9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

That PNP is sharp - but to match the KAB ProS30/OM30 (299) you would want the Bronze (500.00) as the Bronze and OM30 are equivalent as are the OM40 and the Black.

Clucking likes this.
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

Technics uses its own alignment, close to Stevenson but which favors less distortion on inner areas of the disc, which is why other alignments do tend near the end of the slots, but are achievable. You will get their alignment by just mounting the cartridge straight and in the middle of the slots.

SL1200s stock:
    Spindle-to-pivot:215 mm
    Overhang: 15 mm
    Offset angle: 22 degrees
    Effective length: 230 mm
    Outer null (factory): 113.5 mm
    Inner null (factory): 58.5 mm

SL1200, Lofgren B (my recommendation)
    Spindle-to-pivot:215 mm
    Overhang: 17.3 mm
    Offset angle: 23.1 degrees
    Effective length: 232.3 mm
    Outer null (factory): 114.9 mm
    Inner null (factory): 57.5 mm

You can get Lofgren B alignment then, if all else is stock, by moving the stylus 2.3mm forward of the Technics overhang gauge indication (or center of the slots), and rotating the cartridge facing out by 1 degree.

IEC/DIN refer to the inner and outer groove radius on the disc - where the program material starts and ends. DIN is a slightly smaller inner radius. Likely the answers you got from the record store are the stock protractors they have ready, or the results of them doing a similar Google search.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Clucking likes this.
  11. Erik Tracy

With the Stevenson DIN standard, the offset angle is 22.102° and the overhang is 14.929. Both numbers can easily be rounded to 22° and 15mm for the overhang. In other words, the DIN standard is far closer to the published Technics specifications.

Clucking likes this.
  12. Clucking

This is why I want to have a professional do it - I would like to use the best alignment for the best sound possible (your recommendation is the Lofgren B) but I wouldn't have a clue how to move something a third of a milimeter, much less 2 milimeters, accurately. Or shift 1 degree. Beyond my capability.

The Ortofon (Bronze) pnp option seems pretty good but I'm really pretty set upon trying an mc cartridge. Not sure what an "SPU" is?

13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

When I think of MC cart - the 10X5 doesn't come to mind(even though it technically is) - to me it is high output. I may be wrong but I believe the MC magic comes from the LO - which is complicated to setup. Complicated in that you need a matched SUT/head amp and various loading/gain settings.

Though I have a MC cart - I have yet to feel I've truly experienced it. Someday I'll try a Denon DL103 - but till then...

So I'd say if you are set on the 10X5 - don't do it for the MC reason.

14. Clucking

Thanks. My local record-shop guy strongly suggested if I wanted to step up into an MC I should get the Sumiko Blue Point 2. Reading some reviews people like it but find it to be very bright even after burning-in, and my current system is bright enough as-is. The 10x5 people seemed to like across the board. All the cartridges I've been reading up on are high-output due to the complications you indicate regarding low-output and the need for an SUT & more dialed-in load/gain.

If my budget is not to exceed say US$600 for a cartridge, would I be better served to get a better MM rather than a more-or-less entry-level high-output MC cartridge? I don't have the time to travel around listening to different cartridges so am looking to get the best advice possible.

Prior to exploring MC options I was looking at the AT150SA. I decided to expand my budget a bit to give MC cartridges a shot.

15. Erik Tracy

Do you have a SUT already to use a LOMC, or would that be part of the overall budget?

16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It is tough - the 10X5 is awesome - well loved.

If you are ever in Prescott - you could hear my recommendations as they are all setup:
    Grado ref Master (Grado Sonata would be in your price cat - and awesome) - my #1 cart
    Ortofon ProS30 - Tied with DV 10X5
    AT 440mla - probably similar to your AT150 - just slightly behind and tied with:
    Precept 220 (another AT top of line cart)

You should be fine with your current choices.

Best of luck.

17. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

My recommendation would be to get a lp gear zupreme headshell and the 2m bronze and have the shop align it to baerwald. I have had a quite a few cartridges and the bronze is by far my favorite.

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I say get the Technics overhang alignment tool. That makes it simple and fast, and the way Technics intended. It's one more thing that made the Technics the classic.

bluemooze, oregonalex, BrentB and 2 others like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the Technics 1/2" mount overhang is 52 mm which gets you Stevenson geometry with the included overhang gauge.

20. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

The Ortofon (Bronze) pnp option seems pretty good but I'm really pretty set upon trying an mc cartridge. Not sure what an "SPU" is?[/QUOTE]

SPU ( stereo pick up ) ortofon invented the moving coil cartridge & moving coil cutting heads 60yeas ago PNP is the MM version based on the 2M Range

Listening #168: Ortofon SPU #1S phono cartridge

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

How is the VTA for you? I have the new GR, currently with a 2m blue on stock headshell. In the manual, there is a nice chart that shows height of cartridge (with stock headshell and thin technics rubber mat) and the corresponding VTA setting. So 17mm cart height is 0 VTA, the 2m series are 18 mm so VTA is 1, all good.

For the pros/Concorde style body, the cart height is listed at 14mm. Are you using the thicker technics rubber mat to account for the height difference? It appears that I will have to get a thicker mat than my current stock thin one to accommodate, no?

22. harby

harby Forum Resident

I made a little boo-boo here: the increase of the angle, going from stock to Lofgren, means you are rotating the cartridge body to point 1.1 degrees inward towards the spindle. The offset angle is the "bend" of the tonearm, so you are increasing that bend (besides also moving the cartridge forward).

23. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

You can have someone else do the alignment, but how fussy will they be? Are they going to say close enough and move on to something else in their daily job? I use Conrad Hoffman's arc protractor, it's quick and easy. Input 215 for spindle to pivot, choose IEC and Stevenson A. If you choose Lofgren A, that will move your null positions outward, increase the offset angle and overhang more than Stevenson A. The Stevenson A only increases these parameters a little over the stock measurments . I feel this protractor will give you much less tracking error than what is listed in the turntable manual.

24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

For many people, professional assistance on this is worth a few bucks. There is always plenty of time later to learn to DIY next time. I’d recommend a Baerwald alignment and the Dynavector.

25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

VTA has never been an issue with this cart. I am using the thick Technics mat and my bearing does raise the platter a few mm. I just checked and I can rotate down the VTA quite a lot - probably 5mm or so.

It was really designed for this deck so shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.