cartridge loading box?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Does anyone know of a standalone cartridge loading box with switchable resistances?

I this would be a very useful device to have To optimize our cartridge output.

Anyone know?

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Nope, sounds like an interesting product. Imagine it as an inline box on a set of low impedance cables. Hello patent office?

3. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

why not purchase a phono stage with adjustable loading?

chervokas likes this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Because the box could potentially match any cart with any pre. So even a basic intergraded amp would have an "adjustable" phono pre.

5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Because I plug my Rega into an EICO Hf81
    which has a rebuilt phono stage but not adjustable loading. I can't believe no one makes a box like that.

6. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

DB Systems makes the DBP-11MC which does this for moving coil cartridges (settings of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 ohms). You can find it at http://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/access.html. He might be willing to build one for you with custom resistance settings more suitable for moving magnet cartridges, if that's what you need. But it'll only be able to lower the resistance below 47K -- can't raise it.

7. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

There are adjustable loading Step Up Transformers for LOMC to connect to a MM phono stage. But a plain box that allows for adjusting load no matter the cartridge type, I've never seen. I can't see a box of just variable resistance being of any practical use unless it also has gain and capacitance adjustments too. At that point might as well use an external phono-stage since the only thing missing is the RIAA curve.

8. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

You could also get the DBP-6MC resistive loading kit from DB Systems, a company I don't think I could do without. No modifications to your current preamp necessary. Just plug Y-connectors into the inputs and attach resistive-loading plugs. If you've got 47K built-in resistance, you can achieve values about 10, 20, 50 100 and 200 ohms. If you've got 100 ohms built in, you can achieve values of about 10, 16, 33, 50 and 66 ohms. All for a slim $46. -Bob

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6...no_Resistor_Loading_Kit-Turntable_Accessories

9. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Yup. And he'll make custom loading plugs if you wish. That will let you get 1K, 10K, 23K, or whatever setting you prefer for your MM, MI, or HOMC cartridges.

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

If you have even the most rudimentary soldering ability, you can make your own kit:
    http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/vinyl/loading/

11. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I've meant to do just this many times but have settled for Y-plugs and resistors soldered into Switchcraft RCAs. Probably better anyway, less stuff in the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.