Cartridge Matching...Need Input

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl23, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl23

Vinyl23 Active Member Thread Starter

Ok think I’m down to the AT ART9 and the Dynavector 17D3. Added bonus on the 17D3 I can buy everything from MusicDirect.

Any last votes? Thanks for all your help guys.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

My favorite cartridge in that $1000 price range is the Benz Micro Wood SL, it does pretty much everything I like in vinyl playback, so very musical with very good tracking and very low noise in the groove. Their distribution has been a bit dicey for the last few years so not nearly as easy to buy as some of the others, but there are good deals to be had (not hard to find for under $1000) and very much worth the trouble for me. Love it completely, but hard to recommend because of that.

Good luck, sounds like you've narrowed it to a couple really nice picks, both of them have tons of fans.

3. Vinyl23

Strat-Mangler - don’t think I will be able to wait to pull the trigger. You think the 17D3 will work well?

blakep likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It has the same mount of gain as the 20X2L. If my cart works without an issue, the 17D3 will as well. Personally, I think waiting a week ain't gonna kill you and would serve you better but in the end, it's your money so the decision to wait or not is entirely yours.

Tonally, from what I remember reading, the 17D3 is more neutral-sounding than the 20X2L. I've never been a big fan of neutrality as I prefer sound I find inviting instead of attempting to avoid leaning in one direction or another. If you prefer neutral sound, you'll probably love it. You can sometimes find some pretty good deal on those, too. :)

If you're planning on buying everything from one shop, I'd suggest giving them a call and negotiating somewhat. Otherwise there's zero advantage and you might as well start shopping around for a better price. My 2 cents.

5. Vinyl23

Yes good points. Actually last night after I wrote that I was reading some “not so favorable” reviews on the 17D3 so began to question that direction. (Imagine that - people having different opinions on equipment ;). )

However I did read quite a bit favorable reviews on the Soundsmith Zephyr and some of the setup advantages it has with the VPI tonarms. Since I’m a novice at this, thought that may be a better way to go.

Good points tho...I’ll wait.

6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Actually, the Zephyr was one of the carts recommended by VPI for their arms. For a time, they even had a co/branded cart - VPI Zephyr.

7. Vinyl23

Called Stelly and FYI he's leaving Acoustic Sounds. Last day is this Thursday.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The ART9 is the real deal. Barely bested by an Ortofon Cadenza at twice its price. It literally does it all with true high end refinement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.