Cartridge recommendation for Linn TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chooke, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi

I am currently running a Dynavector xx2 which has developed an issue with the right channel. Although I rarely use the TT these days, having needle dropped most of my LPs which are played through my streamer, I still want to maintain a good set up for the occasions I do use it and for needle drops.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind trying a different cartridge and I'd appreciate any recommendation in that regard. I am happy with the xx2's performance which seems to blend in well with the TT and the Yamaha solid state pre-amp and mono blocs. I'd prefer to avoid MM cartridges (though not totally against that idea), something like the xx2 but perhaps with a more linear output towards the top end frequency response.

Cheers

2. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Could you describe your TT a bit?
    Which Linn? Arm?
    I'm assuming you have an LP12 with your current XX2, but I could be wrong..

3. Chooke

Sure, it is a 79 model LP12, but upgraded considerably over the decades (eg bearings, power supply, speed controller.
    Running an Ekos SE tonearm.
    I'm happy with the existing cartridge/arm set-up which took a decade of experimentation (apart from the present fault), but would like to try something else with similar fidelity but a better top end - a top end similar to digital if possible.

Cheers

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The Benz wood is extremely good with a lovely top end.top notch tracker also.

5. Chooke

Thanks for that. I haven't listened to a TT with the Benz Wood but I have heard good things about them. I'll put the SL on the short-list.

6. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Ok then, with the Ekos SE you have many good choices. The Dynavectors are a great match for the Linn ( the XX2 is hard to beat at its' price point ) but you may want to try the new Linn Krystal. Similar price point to the Dyn XX2 . The Krystal has the advantage of three point mounting and was designed to be used in your arm. I have not heard it, but ears that I trust are giving it very good reviews! Good luckATB,
    Mark

Oggy likes this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Would love to see some reviews on the Krystal. I haven't seen any. Where did you see or hear?

8. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Chacha- Simply visit the Linn Forum ( LP12 section ) and you will get a lot of info/ personal experiences with the new Krystal. The Naim Forum has a few posts as well. My dealer in the UK hears things very much like I do when it comes to cartridges. His go to recommendation at this price point has been the Dyn XX2 for years, he now prefers the Krystal ...
    ATB,
    Mark

Oggy likes this.
  9. Chooke

Cheers, I'll add the Linn cartridge to the short list.

10. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Rega Exacta

11. Chooke

Thanks for the suggestion, this cartridge has some good reviews and is probably good value for the money. However I've never had much luck with MM cartridges on my set up as they tend to have a less defined sound, though records do seem to play quieter.

12. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Works perfectly with a Rega RP6, Rega Pre-Amp...less defined sound could mean your speakers....what are you driving?

13. Chooke

Mainly on Yamaha pre and power amps and 1980s pair of Sound Dynamics Concert Monitor 15" speakers - very efficient speakers. The less defined sound is relative comparing MM cartridges to MC on the same stereo, hard to describe but sort of more softer, more transient sound than what I hear with MC cartridges and digital playback. I haven't tried the Linn with MM cartridge on my main rig which has more accurate active speakers which would sharpen the sound, but I think the relativity (at least for the cartridges I have owned) would be the same.

I realise that this is only a small sample, I've only owned about half a dozen MM cartridges over the decades, but all things equal, most people I've come across that are into higher end vinyl seem to prefer the MC.

14. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Good luck in your search....like a candy store out there regarding cartridges, turntables and the like. I went full tilt and really upgraded everything in March 2016. Rega RP6, Exact cartridge, Groovetracer subplatter, delcron platter, counterweight, Rega pre-amp, Marantz amplifier, and a pair of Bowers & Wilkins. Needless to say I am quite a happy man. Best of luck mate!

Chooke likes this.
  15. Raffy Raff

Raffy Raff Forum Resident

I run an Ortofon Kontrapunkt H on my LP12, and like it a lot. When it comes time to replace, I'll probably be looking at the Ortofon Cadenza (the Cadenza Red seems pretty similar to my Kontrapunkt H) or maybe see what the thinking is on the Linn Krystal.

16. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

A couple of friends have been very happy with the Krystal in their Ekos, major upgrade in every area over Arkiv B.

17. Chooke

Just an update. One of our local dealers has cut me a good deal on the Benz Wood so I'm going to give that one a go. It has to come across from one of their interstate dealers so I should have it by the end of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.