Cartridge recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by doctor fuse, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm hoping some of you good folks will give me a few recommendations of a modestly priced cartridge to try out.

Here's where I'm at:

I've been into Grado cartridges for a few years, since this was the brand that made a huge positive difference in my vinyl setup, and I have enjoyed their warm, midrangey "house sound".

I'm currently using a vintage Grado XF-3 with a true nude stylus. Before that I was using a Green with upgraded 8MZ stylus. I have loved both of them. But they are both well beyond the half way point of their useful lives. Since the XF-3 is no longer made, purchasing another 8MZ is an option. But at $200 CAD delivered, I'm beginning to think maybe I should try a whole other cartridge. Especially since the hum (even though inaudible during music playback) is starting to irritate my OCD.

Note: I don't like Audio Technica cartridges (AT 95E and AT 120E); WAY too bright for me.

My system: Technics SL-220, Linn Sara 9s biamped with a NAD 3020 as preamp and tweeter amp, and a Nikko Alpha II for the woofers.

I do like a cheapo Goldring G800 I use sometimes for really old records.

Thanks!

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  3. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Would a Denon DL-110 be too expensive?

4. I enjoyed a Denon DL-160 for years. They're no longer made so I recently purchased the similar Denon DL-110 on eBay for $179 brand new. I concur with F Josh.

It has a wide soundstage with creamy highs and solid lows and a nice mid-range.

It's HOMC so it can easily run through an MM phono stage, and it tracks like a champ. Good luck with your search!

doctor fuse likes this.
  5. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Love my Denon DL 110 with my Technics 1200. Very highly recommend.

6. doctor fuse

I sense a pattern here. Gonna look into the Denon 110 - thanks for the suggestion, all!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  7. doctor fuse

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been curious about that Shure for years. I keep hoping one will fall into my lap. :whistle:
    As far as Grados go, I don't think I'll ever be able to do anything less than the 8MZ. No goin' back for me...

8. doctor fuse

Reading up here I'm getting the itch to order, as someone has stated that the DL110 was designed with 60s rock records in mind (I LOVE old Kinks albums!). But some of my records are noisy, and it apparently will bring this out. How bad is the noise issue?

9. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I don't find mine to "bring out" noise any worse than the $1,000 Dynavector I'm also using. Are your records noisy because they're scratched up? If they're not all scratched up you should also look into a Spinclean.

doctor fuse likes this.
  10. doctor fuse

Yes, it is time for me to invest in a Spinclean or something.

11. The Denon carts don't seem to bring out the "noise" any more or less than equal or more expensive ones. I'll stand by them.

I also have a Spin-Clean. It is cheap, efficient, and highly effective. It'll bring out the best in your vinyl. Make sure to use distilled water.

Cheers!

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

OK; that one's U$ 250, and you were hesitant to spend 150 on an 8MZ, hence my recommendation for cheaper carts and stylus alternatives. But if you think the Denon might have the sound you crave, by all means go for it !!

13. doctor fuse

Understood, the first post about the DL110 said they paid $179, so I thought it was closer to $150. The cheapest I see now on fleecebay is $230. I might go for it, as I think I've [cough cough] caught a mild case [cough!] of upgraditis.

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. I paid $179 with free shipping from some eBay outlet based in Florida just a few weeks ago. They had a bunch, but I guess they're gone now. It showed up quickly and in pristine, brand new condition.

I refused to pay the $200+ for it. It originally showed up for $189 less than two weeks after I first went on the hunt and went on sale a week later to $179. That seemed about as good as it was going to get. It just took a little patience. These deals do spring up; you just have to be diligent. Unless your other cart is falling apart or wrecking your LPs, I'd recommend holding out for a decent deal.

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. doctor fuse

Somehow I thought you originally posted "$179 CAD". It's still on fleecebay for $179 USD, but that's quite a lot more in our unfortunate pretty-coloured money. :(

16. Sorry, My Man! Didn't notice you were up in the Great North. Actually, I almost went for a $179 (after exchange rate) offering in Canada, but I was a little worried about an international transaction. It was around $190 CAD, if I remember correctly. Maybe it'll pop up again soon. Good luck in your searches! It's a nice cart!

doctor fuse likes this.
  17. doctor fuse

As an aside [in honour of your avatar], our sorry dollar is slightly compensated for, by the fact that our Glorious Leader's mom dated Mick Jagger back in the day. Especially pertinent to Americans who face a surreal election of epic proportions!

Bill Why Man likes this.
  18. I think it was more than a few dates. If memory serves, it may have involved a scandalous (at the time) scampering around in skivvies in a Canadian hotel during the '78 Tour. Almost an international incident! Cheers!

19. doctor fuse

Maybe Justin True*Dough is actually Justin Jagger!

Bill Why Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.