Cartridge scraping records? AT-LP120 + M97xE

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fraga, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Assuming you like the sound of the Shure cartridge, I would just get a new needle... in this case it's model number Shure N97xE (which is the needle for the M97xE cartridge). The needle will run about $50-$60 plus shipping. The cartridge body is likely still fine and shouldn't need replacement.

2. Fraga

Fraga Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay. Here it is:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

What do you think?

And are you sure my needle looks ok? Comparing our pictures, my cartridge seems closer to the records :p

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

What did you use to align the cartridge?

4. Other than like going from a Cadillac to a Chevrolet, it looks OK. Due to damage caused by the AT cartridge on my 1st AT-LP120, when I bought my 2nd one, I tossed the AT cartridge right away and continued to use the M97xe and other non-AT cartridges.

5. Fraga

I agree with you 100%, but the AT95E will have to do for now, since new M97xE's are sold for 200 dollars (converting) here in Brazil :/

6. Fraga

I used a protractor provided by Audio Technica on their website; here it is.

MrRom92 likes this.
  7. Wow! I don't think that I've ever paid more than $50. for one in the U.S.

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Stupid question maybe, but when you say tracking force is at 1.5 did you actually set the 0 correctly ? 0 means the arms just floats over the disc without touching it.

MrRom92 likes this.
  9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

All should be fine then so long as your VTF is set properly as well. I actually highly recommend the m97xe and have found it to be an excellent cart so I wish I could say what happened with yours. I'd hold onto it in case you ever decide to purchase a replacement stylus in the future but for now your AT95 should do the job for you

10. Fraga

Thanks a lot for your answer. I set my VTF properly, exactly as the video guide from Audio Technica told me to (I had forgotten how to do it since it had been more than a year since I changed cartridges lol).

Have you seen the pictures of the AT95E I posted? What do you think about the needle's angle? Do you think the cartridge is almost touching the records this time too? I'm very paranoid about it.

Btw, VTF for the AT95E was set at 2.0g.

11. Fraga

I can't remember, since it's been more than a year since I set it up. But I remember being extra careful with this "arm just floats over the disc without touching it" part, so I guess everything was set up OK... can't understand why this happened :/

12. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Hard to tell from photos but if it's set correctly then that's all there really is to it! If you're paranoid about your tracking force and want to be able to set it more accurately, you could look into a gauge like the Shure SFG-2 or something similar. Makes the whole process much easier/quicker and there's no room for doubt, you'll know exactly what you're tracking at regardless of what the numbers on the counterweight are telling you.

13. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I recently picked up one of these digital scales from Amazon and it's even easier to use (and cheaper) than a Shure SFG-2, which I also have.

14. It's time to recheck it.

15. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

16. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I have a M97xe, and have had the same problem with a couple of styli. Others have reported the same issue. I started using mine with the brush down, which I should have been doing anyway, because of the high-mass Stromberg-Carlson tonearm. Problem solved.

17. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The suspension failed. The usual is a tired or soft suspension which may take decades to develop (time factor more than use)
    Your case is unusual, just go for a new stylus when you can, and all will be good.
    It would do no harm to contact Shure to see if they will make good on the defect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.