Cartridges that sounds different

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Old Zorki II, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher Thread Starter

Well, now I have only MC carts - ortofon quintet mc red, hana sl, benz micro wood sl, denon 102 mono and at ocx9/iii. All are fine cartridges, and more expensive ones indeed sounds better - more detailed, better imaging, etc. And yet, outside of denon, overall sound signature is similar.
    I wonder if there other cartridges (mm included) which indeed sound so different that you can hear it right away from another room )). Or everything too different will simply be poor sound quality?
    Til probably 2018 I was listening to mm such as relatively inexpensive ortofon bronze, but mc sound is so addictive I sold all my mm carts.. Was it a mistake?

punkmusick likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Depends on what you sold. Bronze is a decent cart, and is easily replaceable. Unless you sold something rare and hard to find - you can always get another one.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher Thread Starter

No, nothing rare or vintage.. but should I try to find some? I did not miss bronze, it was in a way boring.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I only have MM cartridges: Nagaoka MP-500 (the best), Ortofon 2M Black and AT VM540ML. At least in my system, they couldn't sound more distinct from each other. Probably due to their differences in important aspects like output voltage (along with the phono stage gain), stylus profile and sensitivity to capacitance.

5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Cartridges sound different to me. Some more clear, some to soft sounding, some a little edgy, etc. Close to perfect for me is a VM540ML.

macster and Chris Schoen like this.
  6. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

It's a mechanical device, electricity and wires. Your only going to get so much variation.

7. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

So are loudspeakers...

8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

If you have good and decent MC carts, I see no reason to start digging for rare MM carts, which are going to be more expensive and may not be better.

I do have a few rare MM carts, I heard a few of them before buying, and bought a few on reviews alone. Each time I probably overpaid, but that's the name of the game in today's market for rare audiophilia.

Some of the better rare MM carts are so expensive today, that I won't even bother - for their asking prices, I'd rather get a good LOMC cart. Grace carts, for example, are routinely priced over a grand - I doubt they sound better than, say AT Art9, for example, which could be had for same, or less.

Also, good luck finding original replacement styli.

DrZhivago likes this.
  9. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Better off spending the cash on more quality records.

10. I have been crazy switching cartridges around. I have an Acutex 312 on my BIC80z (and a micro acoustics 2002e that I rarely used since I got it in 1979-1980 when I bought my original system along with my Nikko 9090. Then I have my Acutex 410e on a technics sl 1400 and an acutex 207 on my sl 1300. I have a stanton 681eee and a pickering v15 on standby for the technics pair, but I have to say my Acutex's are still the best, particularly the 312 lpm. On a whim, I just got an ortofon omega and om 10, and I must say for an inexpensive cart they are not bad. I have been having a small issue with the omega on my 80 z though, I am driving it with a Sony STR-D1090 and my old radian research 12-3 speakers and am getting woofer rumble post half way point that I never got on my 312, would one think it is that is the difference between a lesser expensive cart? My 312 is very smooth and clear, great base, mids and highs but i wanted to rotate to preserve it since you really cant get them anymore. But then again I think if I have it, use and enjoy it, which leaves no room for my MA2002e, which I may throw up on ebay. Its really too light for my technics unless I add weight which defeats the purpose.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the ortofons or should i just use the 312 till it dies. I have a 320lpm, but the stylus cantilever and diamond tip is missing, I would love to be able to replace it but I dont have a clue if it can.

11. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

If you can find a Denon DL-S1 new or lightly use, you'd be very pleased....rare and distinct.

12. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Indeed mc cartridges do sound different
    As do mm.
    So much so, that if you make a choice
    Not so pleasing , you are stuck with it,
    Till its time to renewal.
    On years gone by, I went from a Linn
    Troika to an Audio Technica OC9.
    Big mistake.
    Not critising the OC9, it was just not to my taste, despite good reviews.
    All part of the vinyl experience.

DrZhivago likes this.
  13. Also, wondering if anyone finding using newer cartridges out today on vintage equipment (late 70's, early 80's) find incompatibilities due to the different turntables available today and the receivers driving them. I am convinced my 70's nikko 9090 sounds better than driving my early 90's sony str d1090 and my yamaha early 2000's 5790.

14. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

This is wrong
    Any transducer will have distinctive characteristics and performance based on a wide range of design aspects.

15. mled

mled Forum Resident

I really like having removable headshells because it allows for switching carts as the mood strikes. I had a Denon DL-301mk2 for about a year and recently got an AT540 and AT33Mono. Fortunately I like the sound of both ATs (and I did get another 301 because I still enjoy that sound too). None of these are super expensive and in the case the stereo carts They sound very different to me. Being able to change carts from one week to the next or whenever is a cool option to have. It’s not a case of one being better than another, for me. I like variety.

16. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It's very relative, many have similar sound but cartridges all sound different to me. Now to say I now when I am listening from another room I couldn't tell unless it is a really bad one.

One thing I should point out is that over the years as the definition of my set up have been improving, the differences seem more pronounced than what they used to be with my prior gear.

I like changing cartridges as it gives you perspective but I tend to stick to a couple that tickle my fantasies better than the others.

Lucca90 likes this.
  17. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Hi:

I have several MM carts: Ortofon 2M Red, and Om5e. Audio Technica vmn95e, and the vmn95en. I believe I have noticed differences in all four

The 2m Red is prob the brightest. It has a nice wide soundstage and good separation. Sometimes it’s a bit too bright.

The OM 5e has a bit tighter soundstage and is not as bright. At times it seems to me to more clearly present the sound than the Red, but for the most part, I prefer the Red over the 5e.

The AT vmn95e is the cart that came with my TT ( the AT 120xusb) It’s like the OM5e, but a little brighter, and wider. It’s a nice cart.

The AT vmn95en is my favorite. It’s slightly better than the Red. It provides a nice clear sound; bright, but not to bright, more separation and a broad soundstage. It provides better imaging.

I believe I can hear the differences in all the carts. But of course, I have not tested myself. I mean, I put one in the arm and I expect it to sound a certain way. I’m sure that expectation influences what I hear.

18. Not only will different designs [MC or MM], different brands, different price points sound different; cartridges will sound different w/different music.

Something that sounds great w/Classical is not guaranteed to sound great will all other genres.

19. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If you don’t miss those MM carts, there should be no regrets, right?
    All carts have their own characteristics, but in the end they’re all carts... as long as they don’t have significant flaws, they sound very similar.
    Especially in the higher range, small differences become big differences... it’s all about the details.
    Same goes for most audio equipment, afaik.

20. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

/forum

21. Oelewapper

Idgi?

22. bloodlemons

Sorry. It's a joke that means you just summed up the entire forum and we can all move on to other things now.

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. Oelewapper

Yes, time to put the record on :righton:

bloodlemons likes this.
  24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think the differences in sound mostly come down to two things: the type of stylus, and the cartridge loading, or capacitance. Materials and design can certainly make a difference, too.

Frankly, to hear those differences also comes down to hearing acuity, something people don't like to talk about.

Lucca90 and bloodlemons like this.
  25. bloodlemons

I use a contemporary Audio-Technica MC cart (ART-9) with a late-'70s Harman/Kardon ST-8 turntable into a boutique phono pre and amplifier. In large ways, the turntable really only spins the disc. The relationship between stylus, cart and phono amplifier is really where the sound happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.