Cartridges well suited for Rega tonearms

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinnn, Mar 1, 2021.

1. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi community,

Been looking around recently for the next cart for my Planar 6 and naturally gravitating towards Rega's own MC carts. It got me wondering though, there's lots of opinions on which non-Rega cartridges go best with Rega tonearms (without altering VTA with spacers or mats) due to their height profile etc.

I personally have no interest in mounting spacers to my tonearm and Rega say that using spacers is only required to prevent particularly deep-bodied carts fowling the record and that there is no need to fit a spacer for any other purpose... of course others disagree and get hot under the collar about the subject.

I can find no generally agreed "best of" list of non-Rega carts that are most agreeable with Rega tonearms and few cartridge manufacturers give such recommendations or even height measurements so I thought such a discussion might be a good resource to have on this forum.
    As far as I can find online some non-Rega carts that are commonly touted to be well suited to Regas include;
    • Dynavectors like the 10x5 & DV20x2
    • Audio Technica VM & OC9x series
    • Goldring Eroica?
    • Benz Micro?
    Agree? What's your experiences?

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

On Rega turntables over the years I’ve used a Dynavector 10x5 and 20x2, Goldring Eroica and 1042, Benz Micro L0.4. They all have sounded great to me. I used spacers for a while, went a few years with the Benz and Eroica with no spacer, and then recently came back to using 2mm. Given that I usually remove the tonearm to install a cartridge, I put the spacer on at that time. My ears find the spacer to be important with the 20x2. The body of the 1042 would touch the record label without a spacer.

jgrillo and vinnn like this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Rega will tell you that you don't need spacer. They present a decent argument for not providing this feature on any of their turntables. The argument is in their book "Rega - A Vibration Measuring Maching" so, you follow their advice if that's what you want to do. But I use spacers. I always have. Rega sells spacers even though "you don't need them." This tells me that I should ignore their arguments and use spacers. Anyway, I've had a Benz-Micro Gold and Glider on my P5. Both with 2 mm spacers. I also have a Grado Platinum on my P3-2000. The Grado does begin to hum when it enters the run-out. But I recently bought a Hageman Audio Labs Humbucker and it does remove the hum with the Grado. So, previously I wouldn't have recommended others to install a Grado on to a Rega, I've now changed my mind provided you buy the Humbucker. I have a Michell VTA Adjustable Collar and Nut on the P3.

I've liked all of these cartridges. The Grado just sound really good. The Gold was clearer in the highs and the Glider is just really good throughout the entire frequency spectrum. But the Grado is better in the mids, maybe because the highs are as pronounced. I don't know why, but the Grado just sound great. Overall, I like the Glider the best.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

I added a Pete Riggle VTAF to my Rega P25 so that I could use whatever cart I choose. It has accommodated an Exact , Benz ACE, Benz Glider SM and with an Origin Live rewire , it now has an Ortofon Cadenza Blue. A friend of mine has a Michell Gyrodeck with an Origin Live Encounter arm with EMT cart and the two tables are equal on the same system. So you can stick with Rega's recommendations or change it to suit yourself. As far as I am concerned when I buy something like a turntable it is mine to alter as seems necessary. Everything is built to a cost so you can go up the range or do the mods yourself. I find the mods to be more satisfying. YMMV.

Dave Mac and 33na3rd like this.
  5. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

In case it helps, I can at least confirm that AT’s current VM fit my Rega tonearm with no spacers, and it appeared perfectly level to me. Without spacers, it was neither tail up nor tail down. I mentioned a little bit about my experience with the AT-VM95ML here:

Praise for the AT-VM95ML

6. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Not 100% sure what you're saying here but I've had upgraded Rega P3-24 with TT PSU, groovetracer subplatter, tecnoweight and acrylic platter where all of these upgrades brought sonic improvements. Then i switched to the Gyrodec with the same arm and cart (denon dl-110), on the same phonostage and rest if tge system and there was a big difference between tge two tables.

Regarding original question, I've used denon dl-110, Benz Micro gold and a Benz Micro Wood SL on rega tonearms and these all work great together.

Cyclone Ranger, GyroSE and MGW like this.
  7. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Not sure of budget but Audio Technica VM, Rega Exact or Goldring 10xx if MM, Ania Pro, Goldring Ethos or Hana if MC
    No spacers needed

BTW going into high priced cartridge, P8 upgrade should be considered before cartridge, deck first.

8. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good suggestions.

Just to confirm though this thread isn't intended as a "what should I buy" thread for myself.
    Just thought it'd be a good discussion to pool experiences on the most suitable non-Rega carts for Rega tonearms in the standard configuration.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  9. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

What I'm saying is: don't let Rega's aversion to shims put you off experimenting with different carts as the arm is good enough to accommodate them. Also, check my profile for the mods to my P25. It is not stock anymore. What we hear is what we hear. Good luck in your going forward and hope it is the reward you are seeking.

10. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

I currently have a VM540ML on my Rega planar 3. I am using one 2mm spacer. Some members here have mentioned they use it without spacer and some with.

11. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

A bit of an older thread, but a friend of mine has a Kiseki Purple Heart on his RP10; after auditioning that in my system I am getting the P10 and will run my PH on it.

digreyfox and vinnn like this.
  12. fish

fish Senior Member

Is this so?

Im open to any of them. Really wanted to avoid removing the arm again for a spacer.
    Also as many point out not exceeding the tables ability. I like the Elys2 but i want something a bit more transparent with tighter bass.

The Goldring Ethos is well regarded at $1500. I was shooting for <$1000 and an easy install.
    I was told the Goldring Elite needs to be shimmed.

Whats the difference in sound between the Ania and Ania Pro? I see deals on the Ania but not so the Pro.

Hana's dont need to be shimed?

What models actually fit without shims?

13. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Near 99% of cartridges fit with no shims, they may not fit your eye sight but stylus angle won't change markedly or even remotely doing the spacer raise.
    Honestly its a bit like shooting birds with canon balls.

Ania is elliptical stylus and reportedly could have IGD issues, Pro not.

Diapason likes this.
  14. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Nagaoka carts
    Denon DL-110

15. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I've had the Rega Elys, the Dynavector 10X5 and the Ortofon 2M Bronze on my old P3(2000) and have the Rega Exact 2 on my Planar 6. Of those cartridges, I prefer the Ortofon 2M Bronze because of it's neutral tone and because you can just replace the stylus, when it wears out. If I don't go MC for my Planar 6, I'll probably replace the Exact2 with the Bronze, when it wears out. The Exact is a great cartridge but I prefer the Bronze for the reasons given.

16. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I played with a P3 for a while with an Audio Note IQ3 cart. At about $1200 for the cartridge, I was very impressed

17. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I recently installed a Hana SL on my P6. No spacers used, although I did need to tweak the lift a little.

The sound is smooth and detailed and delicious.

vinnn likes this.
  18. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Goldring 1042 and currently Dynavector xx-2. Both highly recommended by the national Rega distributor (for whatever that's worth).

Both great experiences, the xx-2 in particular is just beautiful across the entire spectrum.

GyroSE likes this.