Carvin is closing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BeatleFred, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Oh wow!!!

I was never really a fan of their gear, but their custom shop was awesome. I used to write freelance for an online music site and we configured a guitar via the custom shop website for review. This was one of the finest instruments I have ever played - wonderful playability and sound. Why I did not buy it still baffles me.

2. Cato

Cato New Member

3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

"Another one bites the dust."

4. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

That's a myth. Bob Taylor of Taylor Guitars said there's no reason a well managed firm can't thrive in California as his does. Plenty do.

sublemon and PhilBiker like this.
  5. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I bought a 1x12 100w Carvin guitar amp in '82 for about $300 - still have it. Its a monster, LOUD and sounds magnificent. When dialed in correctly it sounds easily as good as a Mesa Boogie. Bought it b/c there was a three month wait for a Boogie and needed an amp right then. It fell off of a moving cart one time - cracked the wood enclosure but the electronics never missed a beat. I picked the amp up from the factory in San Diego. Weighs ~90lbs! Have a Boogie as well now and run the two amps in stereo from a TC Electronics Nova Digital Multieffects unit. Bellissimo!

Sad to see Carvin shut down but as some have said it wasn't a unique enough brand to survive. If I'm not mistaken Zappa used Carvin pickups on some of his SGs.

As George Harrison said... "all things must pass."

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

"business friendly" is code for low wages and poor regulation. I'm not buying it.

Dan C, duneman and PhilBiker like this.
  7. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Fair enough, but the people willing to put up capital for a startup certainly are.

8. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Is Carvin back in business? I received an email today about new products being unveiled at the upcoming NAMM Show.

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

They uploaded this video Jan 22, for a product "available late spring 2018"

They just re-launched the website with a different look, and no more "factory closing, sales final", what it just looked like a week ago: Professional Audio, Guitar and Bass Amplifiers (archive.org)

Maybe they just needed to unload the burden of American made products and logistics.

The current "clearance sale, 50% off" that is still there shows the Vai Legacy amp (which was out of stock) at the same price it was 6 months ago with a warranty... Steve Vai Legacy Tube Amplifier Series (archive.org)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

This is my belief based on what I see in music trends. 20 years ago there were a lot rock bands that were supporting a myriad of different manufacturers. In addition, there was a thriving demand for vintage and/or vintage reissues of coveted gear, not only by musicians, but by hobbyist as well. Guitar shows were really popular. However, since then the music has shifted more to the hip hop, rap, and pop music styles that don't have as much demand for live bands to support it. Also, drunk driving laws have put the kabbosh on the ability for bars and restaurants to financially offer live music. Therefore, it's only reasonable to think that since the demand for live musicians is down, so would be the demand for those musicians to purchase music gear.

We have a lot of young children in our immediate family(we have traditionally been a musical family), but few if any have any desire to learn a musical instrument at least at this time. To me, that is frightening to think that this is happening. I feel that musical instrument manufacturers are competing for a rapidly shrinking piece of the pie. Only those well run companies with the most desirable catalog are going to survive until something else happens. That is what I am seeing at this particular time.

11. seanpierceCEO

seanpierceCEO Active Member

Looks like there's a bit of an update for you guys on the company! I was working in their social media prior to the closure. This statement will be released later today (Sept. 18):

I have a certain amount of knowledge on the situation and an ability to answer questions. Feel free to ask and I will do my best.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2018
    PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.