Casey Kasem radio airings in New England?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really need help with Casey Kasem airing in New England because it’s driving me batty just thinking and researching all this information!

1. Are any of these stations still airing American Top 40?

CASEY KASEM - LIVE BROADCASTING RADIO STATIONS

(Not counting the ones with Casey Kasem, but in general now)

2. People from Massachusetts, is anyone familiar with a radio station called QFM that was based in Winchendon? It’s so rare and obscure that even I don’t know anything about it except for a mention in this video along with a few web results.

There is a tagline that I’m wondering though which may have a clue to what the station was about.

3. Anyone know information about this?

Casey Kasem

96.5 TIC and American Top 40

Casey's Hot 20 February 14 1998 Casey Kasem

Is the show still airing in the area?

2. MikaelaArsenault

The only station that I know who is still airing AT40 is Kiss 108.

Sean and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  3. If you subscribe to serious XM AT40 is aired uncut each week on 70’s on 7. You can listen on the app or online. About 20 bucks a month. Sound quality isn’t great but it’s still a lot of fun to hear the countdown. It’s been on for about 12 years or longer.

4. MikaelaArsenault

I don’t have it, but my dad just renewed it in his car, so will make sure to listen next time.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

You can add app access for a few bucks per month. I think i give my folks $45/yr for it.

6. MikaelaArsenault

I don’t work at the moment, so would not be able to do that.

7. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

I live in the area ...

Q FM was WINQ (97.7 - I think) ... When it was in Winchendon it was a satellite station - meaning the broadcast came in from somewhere else. I worked at WCAT in neighboring Athol in the early '90s and it had the same set-up. That broadcast came in from Dallas.

I think WINQ moved to Winchester, NH and plays country now. Not sure of the whole history behind the move.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

So it wasn’t an FM or AM station then?

9. MikaelaArsenault

10. MikaelaArsenault

I would like to know more myself.

11. WUPE FM (100.1, 103.3) in Pittsfield MA broadcasts AT40 every Saturday Morning at 7:00AM

12. It's on at noon Saturday. I think it repeats on Tuesday. You can check the schedule.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I can't answer your question but like your avatar!

Go Pats!!!

14. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

The iHeart Radio app has a 24/7 channel dedicated to airing '70s & '80s AT 40 shows.

Right now they're playing one from Autumn '87.

15. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

I have a few people I can ask. But I suspect that the station wasn't financially sound in Winchendon. This is a small and somewhat depressed area. Only so many ad dollars and you compete with Boston radio. Winchester, NH is more remote but I doubt there is much competition.

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I’ve been addicted to the iHeart Classic American Top 40 channel for years. I just wish they’d widen the rotation of shows.

17. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

SiriusXM (including 70's on 7) is also available on DISH Network satellite TV, programming package AT200 +higher.

The shows aren't completely uncut though; some, but not all, of the non-countdown-specific stuff is removed (AT40 Extras, Long Distance Dedications, etc.)

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If you are a huge fan there are episodes floating around you can get on cd. I purchased a hard drive years ago that has every single episode from day one to 2000 if memory serves. Fascinating time capsule. You can also find the original recordings on vinyl that were originally sent to radio stations. Its in a nice blue box with an index sheet inside for the station operators. They are often in stores that sell used vinyl. I just got another one a few weeks ago. Very fun stuff! Just some ideas in case you can't find a way to listen in your area.

19. MikaelaArsenault

Which I am, but don’t have money. :(

20. MikaelaArsenault

Please do!

21. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Just idle chitchat, but my dad got assigned a tour of duty in New Zealand in '74 and '75 during his career with the USAF. As there was no internet, the only taste of Americanized radio programming there came by way of weekly airings of AT-40. I listened to them on Radio Hauraki in Auckland when I was on the north island, and 3ZC in Timaru when on the south. Radio Hauraki would weekly give a lucky listener a copy of AT-40, which came in a box comprised of three LPs and a printed itinerary of its recordings. I remember that each side of the vinyl started with a tone lasting a few seconds. I reckon that was for cueing purposes.

Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    troggy likes this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

It’s fine if you can’t answer.

23. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Back when eBay was partying like it was 1999 you could get a hundred bucks or more for those. I think eBay put some kind of copyright block on them a few years back, they rarely show up any more.

24. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

WKFR in Grand Rapids, Michigan airs reruns of American Top 40 on Sunday mornings. They're a hoot!

My wife worked for WGRD in the early eighties and brought home several editions off ATF. We still have them in their boxes with the scripts and programming notes. Fun at parties.

25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The iHeart Classic American Top 40 channel, though, does keep the Extras and LDD's intact.
    https://www.iheart.com/live/classic-american-top-40-6545/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.