Cat keeps tipping speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a very rambunctious cat. Yes, the one on the avatar. He is very curious and likes to jump around all over the place. He sometimes jumps on top of my speakers and has tipped them. The speakers are on spikes. I'm sure this problem is not that unusual. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and has found a solution.

I don't want to get rid of the cat and I don't believe on using corporal punishment on animals, other than squirting them with water. I am wondering if there is any way of securing the speakers, without altering the sound. I have placed throw pillows on each side of the speakers to cushion the fall. But I really don't want them tipped over at all.

Tim 2, The FRiNgE, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  2. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Aren't cats adorable? :D I love the way applied the adjective "rambunctious". I can totally relate.

I'm sorry, I can't think of a solution to your problem, except for suggesting the water option that you have already tried. Maybe you could find some object with a tapering point, i.e. pyramid shaped or cone shaped, that you could place on top of your speaker and secure it with Blu-tak. In other words, remove the inviting flat surface. I'm assuming the sound aperture is not located on top of the speaker.

ubiknik and displayname like this.
  4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Senior Member

Bigger speakers, or something on the top that prevents them from being able to or even wanting to jump on them. Personally I'd go with bigger speaks. The cat is trying to give you a hint!

Exotiki, bru87tr, The FRiNgE and 5 others like this.
  5. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Put your speakers in the bird cage.

6. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Do your speakers have these outriggers? Might help.
    [​IMG]

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Of course if you paid your speakers a decent living wage in the first place, there would be no need for tipping.

9. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

First of all the cat is always right. It's axiomatic so it's not debatable.

I had the same problem with my cat and I have two possible remedial. The first and cheaper is to add outriggers to the speakers. I bought mine from soundocity.com (I think they were called or marketed as OregonDV when I bought my set). The second option which is way more expensive and possibly less feline proof is to replace the spikes with IsoAccoustic GAIA feet.

10. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Unfortunately I can't offer any help, but I'd like to thank you for the funniest thread title in a long while.
    Seeing this made me crack up real good on my commute this afternoon.

[​IMG]

11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I mentioned in another thread that one of my cats is acrobatic. She's never managed to knock over either my good speakers, which have outriggers and GAIAs, nor my HT speakers, which are flat on the floor w/ no spikes. Both sets are floorstanders.

The latter actually rock back and forth for a second when she launches herself off them.

12. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

Those look a lot like my Gemme Audio Tantos, the speakers my cat is tipping. I assume you would have to drill holes to install the outriggers.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I recommend safety straps.

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Put the cat in a bird cage.

Exotiki, Fender Relic and apesfan like this.
  16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I looked up your model on the web and found that image. I don’t know who makes the outrigger, but they might come from the manufacturer.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, I had a pair of Celestion C2's and the cat tried to jump on one of them, toppled it and he landed on my R2R deck, busting the plexiglass cover. I was not happy. Same cat pushed over a fishtank onto a crate of records. Fortunately, most were bagged, but water did damage the cover to a very low number Neil Young Old Ways MOFI.

18. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

The various outriggers linked in my post above would be attached via the threaded inserts already used for spikes in your speaker bases

19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

For the cat? I don't think the cat can hurt himself by jumping or falling from that height.

I have visions of the cat abseiling fown the face of the speaker.

20. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Play better music.

:winkgrin:

21. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Let's not overlook the generosity of the cat.

Exotiki, sunspot42, drh and 4 others like this.
  22. harby

harby Forum Resident

1. Spikes on top of the speakers also
    2. Screw a piece of plywood into the bottom, 30cm wider than the speaker base, and place bricks on sides.
    3. Cables to attach the top of speakers to nearby wall so they might right themselves and don't ultimately tumble in seismic events.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The cat may be hinting that perhaps you should play "I Love My Dog" by Cat Stevens a bit less often.

TarnishedEars, bever70 and head_unit like this.
  24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Cats hate aluminum foil. Place a sheet on top of your speakers.

hifisoup, Exotiki, sunspot42 and 6 others like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You know, you can teach your cat not to jump over the speakers.
    They are very smart and they can be trained to behave. I have three cats and my stereo costs a lot of money and never had a problem with my cats. They know what is off-limits to them.
    The problem is that training doesn't happen overnight. It takes time and patience. And certain expertise but there are books and the internet is full of good tips.
    And when you train them, you have to know to be and remain calm. if the cat feels threatened by you, the whole thing will fail.
    But again, they learn easily. Look at it as a fun way to communicate with your best friend pet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.