CBS Sunday Night At The Movies are back!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, May 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Steve Carras, WLL, RickH and 6 others like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Can’t wait for Forrest Gump!

Greg Gee and Michael Rose like this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I hope they're smart enough to cut back on the commercials. maybe a featured sponsor at the top of each hour

musicfan37, Shawn, Greg Gee and 5 others like this.
  4. Michael Rose

I hope it's not sourced from old tapes, 480i pan scan. :doh::D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Why two Indiana Jones movies? I’m sure they could have closed with something better than Last Crusade.

6. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I have nothing but wonderful memories of the ABC Sunday Night Movie - especially when they rolled a James Bond movie. It capped off the weekend nicely, giving me another three hours before I'd have to go to bed and start a new week of school. Plus, I always got a kick out of hearing their announcer - Ernie Anderson - tease the movie...

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Is this going to really do anything for their ratings in this day-and-age where people can watch movies on demand or on home video?

8. Michael Rose

I see it as a family night kind of deal for our Quarantine nights. Appointment viewing, if you will.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I like the idea of watching the movies with your family but the commercial interruptions would drive me nuts. :) I'd just get the movies on DVD or Blu-Ray and say "Okay family, we're going to watch Titanic at 7 PM on Friday" and play the Blu-Ray so there are no commercial interruptions.

(Also then you can pause the movie to refill popcorn bowls). :)

RickH, G E, beat_truck and 3 others like this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Bit of nostalgia for the old folks..."

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My guess would be this doesn't last a month!;)

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Quite right.
    Why would anyone watch a movie interrupted by commercials? Gack !

13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

They can draw some ratings initially, if they choose the right movies. Raiders of the Lost Ark is a good choice.

If one network really want to see ratings go through the roof, they should try airing the original 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars as it was shown in theaters then, with limited commercial breaks. And promote it as such.

ABC/Disney could do that, I think, since I believe Disney holds the rights to all things Star Wars.

Shawn, Michael Rose, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

For the love of Pete I just don't see how this is a good thing. They're showing movies that are 30+ years old. Why not just bring back "Shogun" or "Roots" or "The Day After"? As great as Raiders of the Lost Ark is, I've seen it so many times I can recite the dialog.

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Cbs is out of ideas.. after dark movies take place when all the night time talk shows are cancelled.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i, for one, don't get it.

they are showing movies that you can buy for little money and not have to watch commercials.

17. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

You know maybe some people who watch TV have no cable or pay tv subscription. They watch over the air tv that has commercials ( oh the horror!) And there is some people who have no high speed internet service for any amount of reasons. And do not have a vast collection of dvds or blu ray discs.

18. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark Forum Resident

Percentage wise in the US, how many people have all three situations equally & is that percentage enough to sustain the ratings for this? Somehow I don't think so.

I haven't watched a theatrical movie with commercials in decades myself, especially once TCM came out & vintage movies on the late show or on weekend afternoons stopped being relevant.

19. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I guess we will find out when the ratings come out. I think there is more in that situation than members here in the SHF bubble think.

MikaelaArsenault and Greg Gee like this.
  20. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark Forum Resident

No SHF bubble here. I based my observation on 40+ years of having cable, VHS tapes, DVD's, etc, friends with similar setups, knowing that most people have at least a DVD player, if not a Blu-Ray player, & have access to at least a Redbox in their area. It's not 1978 anymore, & the majority of people in the US have access to one or more of these things to use.

Even if they want to watch theatrical movies with commercials & don't have access to say, TBS, the Paramount channel, etc, the fact that CBS isn't showing the Harry Potter movies for example, but is instead relegated to nearly 40 year old movies to fill out their schedule likely isn't the best business model.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don;t think so, ever see how many people are shopping for used movies in the used CD/DVD/record stores.

the exchange stores in cleveland have more movies than anything else (CD's, LP's or games) and they have racks of $1.00 movies, racks of them.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not to mention the constant pop up crap networks plaster over their programming - network bugs, full motion adds for their other shows, list of what is coming next. I can't think of any reason I'd choose to watch a movie on network TV in this day and age. It's not like they'll be showing rare hard to find films for this.

23. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I love Raiders, but this won’t work, because CBS will stick a ton of commercials in there, and won’t give the audience any reason to tune in as opposed to streaming or watching on DVD.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's the perfect CBS event presentation: a tone-deaf attempt to re-create the unperceived necessity for a traditional return to an age nobody remembers; The Tiffany Network tries once again to remind people who never knew what "the Tiffany Network" stood for in the first place. :shake:

If nothing else, it's gonna remind their current target demographic, "Hey, didn't we used to get these same movies every Saturday afternoon on the independent station, back when CBS was running Golf around that time...?"

25. dude

dude Senior Member

This seems logical to me given there is very little television being produced anymore due to the virus. This summer and fall is going to look very different for tv. I wonder what the soap operas and the networks that produce them, which shoot non stop, will be showing four months from now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.